User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    yupp

I didn't read the old faq i learned the rules by breaking them.

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Please make an exception for Halla.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

your resident asshole

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    I didn't read the old faq i learned the rules by breaking them.
    I didn't even know anyone reads these things. Turns out some people do. :/

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyGeek View Post
    I didn't even know anyone reads these things. Turns out some people do. :/
    freaks

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Salomé View Post
    I guess that's unsurprising when you have no INTPs on board.
    Why aren't you on board?
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

figsfiggyfigs

Provocative?

How boring

MBTI
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Salomé View Post
    . . . I guess that's unsurprising when you have no INTPs on board.
    That's both true and false.

True, I didn't have anything to do with it; however, false because you do have an INTp on board.
    "The only time I'm wrong is when I'm questioning myself."
    Haight

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

RTFM.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffywolf View Post
    Is it just me or is it basicly the old FAQ but slightly more defined?
    Below are the old related FAQ sections so you can compare.

The biggest changes relates to flames, insults and trolling.

Maybe I can provide some context and explanation as to what changed and why. About six months ago @Haight raised the concern that if we wanted to grow our member base, we needed to reduce the level of hostility on the forum. This prompted some discussion on the matter. I personally have felt for a long time that the way we were moderating insults and trolling could be improved. However, the previous system had the advantage of being highly objective and it seemed generally to work well enough so there wasn't enough of an impetus to change. Also, our previous rules on trolling required an assessment of intent, which is something that is extremely difficult to do. As a result, it was difficult to enforce those trolling rules. Over time, some members found ways around the rules - or at least as they were being enforced - and were freely flaming, trolling, bullying or insulting other members. It didn't happen overnight of course. This was a gradual and insidious thing that got worse as time went on, which you almost don't even notice if you are on the forum regularly. This all came to a head in the September and October timeframe when it became obvious that something needed to be done and quickly, which has led to @Ivy's note and now the new FAQ.

So, if you will compare the two, the new FAQ provides more explicit detail on the types of posts and communications that are to be deemed hostile. It includes provisions related to hostile comments against "inborn" groups (i.e., hate speech), threats, and a much more granular description of insults. One thing we have noticed is that an individual would make an inflammatory comment, which another poster would react to and this would start a cat-fight between two members which essentially derailed the thread and drove other members away. We're still working on getting better at moderating these situations and not all of this can be codified in a FAQ.

The second thing that changed is the section on posting other people's material. We provided further detail on copyrights and what is and is not allowed, based on past cases where individuals had to be asked to remove content that they shouldn't be posting because it was authored by someone else.

The third thing that changed was the section on bans, warnings and infractions. There is a much broader set of measures that are used to moderate the forum than the ones listed in the old FAQ. Over time, certain measures have fallen in and out of favor, based on the composition of the modstaff at any given point in time and their natural inclinations and abilities. We want to in part clarify the wider set of measures that have been and will be used but also do a better job using that robust set of measures which goes beyond the standard infraction/ban system. In the past, we haven't issued a lot of warnings or done a lot of thread-bans, for example. We havn't spent as much time editing posts to remove hostile content. In-thread moderation is also an important technique that can apply more effectively as well. The entire mod staff is working hard towards implementing an improved system that makes the forum a better place to be.

Feedback is always very much appreciated as it is the best way for us to recognize what types of things can be improved. Also, PLEASE REPORT AWAY ON THOSE PROBLEMATIC POSTS. This is especially helpful during the November (soft launch) transition period as it helps provide more cases to test the new rules and to enable communication to members that are close to or over the line with respect to them.

OLD FAQ SECTIONS

Flaming: Flaming and personal attacks are not allowed, including in reputation comments, visitor messages or social groups. This includes non-jocular attack-threads as distinct from flame-wars in The Graveyard. A Personal Insult, or Flame, is:
    • A post with the sole apparent intent to enrage another user of the forum.
    • A personal attack or name-calling based upon lies and/or subjective statements.

Exception: There is leeway for obvious jokes (where the other poster clearly acknowledges this).

Trolls: No Trolling. Trolling is considered a post or a repeated pattern of posting that involves one or more of the following:
    • An attempt to bait a user into an off topic debate within a thread based upon a personal insult or "flame."
    • An attempt to make a user "go off" on the other through use of personal insult, allusion to personal insult, or inflammatory comments.
    • Repeated antagonizing or harassment of other members, spamming, consistent off-topic posting or history of thread derailing.

In addition to specific posts, the posters pattern of behavior over time will be considered in coming to a determination on trolling behavior. It should be emphasized that the primary consideration will be the overall impact of the poster on other forum members, whether that pattern involves direct, indirect or subtle trolling.
    Posting other People's Material:Do not post full articles/content from other authors and website without the permission of the content owner.
    Warnings, Infractions, and Bans

Warnings and Infractions: Using the Report Post function (anyone can report a post) will bring a questionable post to madmin attention, preserving the original post. The madmin team will discuss whether or not the reported post requires any action.

A warning is used when a member is close to breaking a rule, or has innocently broken a technical rule, e.g., posting links to personal business websites in one's signature. If a member continues to break the rule an infraction will ensue.

When issuing warnings and infractions a madmin will try to open a rapport with the member. During this rapport, the madmin will communicate to the offending poster which guideline/policy they violated. The contacting moderator or administrator will stress a review of this FAQ and hopefully, all will be well.

If a member continues breaking the rules, particularly if it's the same problem repeatedly occurring, then we will issue the infraction. Depending on the severity of the offense, warnings do not have to be administered before infractions, and infraction points do not expire.

Confinement and Banning:

Banning is established as a last resort in the event that voluntary, corrective measures are ineffective. It is the solution to an unending pattern of disruptive behavior.

Typology Central has two types of bans: tempbans and permabans.

Tempbans are short term, the length of which is determined by the offense. Factors such as number of warnings, infractions, and/or magnitude of the general forum disturbance are taken into consideration. Temp bans are given if there is a belief via madmin consensus the member will reform their behavior if given extensive time away from the forum.

Permabans take all of the above factors into consideration minus the belief that rehabilitation is possible. Permabans are of course permanent so gather email addresses and teary goodbyes before your number is up.

Madmins discuss the forum member within the modbox to see if a ban is necessary. Bans factor in the complete spectrum of a user's behavior on the forum including but not limited to their general "tone" on the forum (abrasive, hostile, incendiary), number of reported posts, warnings and infractions, non-fluff contributions (see the definition of fluff), posting history, prior bans, and possibility of rehabilitation. As a general guideline, three infractions in a short period of time will result in a ban.

Banned and confined members are listed in the Banned and the Damned Thread in the Policy and Announcements subforum.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Oh, so, the new improvements allow moderators to better classify and respond to unwanted posts, whereas in the past, many types of posts would not lead to action until way late. Simply because they were hard to classify by the old rules.

That makes a lot of sense.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf