First 789101119 Last

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

I don't believe in logic; I believe in reason.

Logic can get you from point A to B, work from problems to solutions, establish rules, and so forth.
    Reason on the other hand asks questions, looks for causes, searches for the why, and invents new ideas about where those things could go.

Ideally, I think a little logic can give us a foundation or structure to work with, but reason really puts the building blocks together.
    If you ask me, logic seems more about absolutes and determinism, whereas reason could be the "what-if" contingencies that have all promise to open up amazing new possibilities!

"True virtue is life under the direction of reason." - Baruch Spinoza

Okay, I think I just sufficiently took all of you logic-obsessed freaks back to the blackboard!
    Now matter how you try to prove stuff with logic as you may understand it, simply shifting the rules into another context can turn your whole world on its head!

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

so it's a no on threads being moved to the graveyard tho right?
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

Thank you mods for the consideration and work. I think this will be good change.

MBTI
    INTj

One thing is for sure. You guys need to leave the humor to me.
    "The only time I'm wrong is when I'm questioning myself."
    Haight

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by msg_v2 View Post
    Actually, this annoys me a great deal. If someone knows something i don't, I actually want to know that thing. If you're refusing to tell me and calling me an idiot for not knowing that thing, what am I suppose to do? Bow down before your superior knowledge? Instead, the conclusion I draw from that attitude is that someone doesn't actually know what they are talking about, and are putting on an act. It may not be correct, but given the data at my disposal, it's not an unreasonable hypothesis.
    I agree, but this presumes you are looking for knowledge. People who blow off all attempts by others to share knowledge with them, or who come onto a thread acting like a know-it-all or authority with no substance to back it up -- these are the people who are likely to be called idiots, or at least have their expertise questioned.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

MBTI
    CROW
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    I agree, but this presumes you are looking for knowledge. People who blow off all attempts by others to share knowledge with them, or who come onto a thread acting like a know-it-all or authority with no substance to back it up -- these are the people who are likely to be called idiots, or at least have their expertise questioned.
    Some people are fond of entering into "discussions" less for the sake of learning something, and more for the purpose of ego-gratification. That is, they aren't feeling that great... about... something, and want some way to feel better about themselves. Regrettably, this attitude often comes at the expense of discussions that are actually interesting. And I agree that this is infuriating in it's own way.

In fact, it relates to my own gripe. If someone is truly an authority, or at least semi-knowledgeable on something, they are rarely defensive about having someone question their assertions. That defensiveness, ultimately, is a product of insecurity... to me, that's a signifier that they have nothing else to stand on. People of different types can display this behavior.
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

This is not going to go the way you think....

Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

I just wanted to say that I'm liking the [hostile comment removed] bits I'm seeing
    4w5 sp/sx EII

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by 21% View Post
    I just wanted to say that I'm liking the [hostile comment removed] bits I'm seeing
    It's nice to see some active steps being taken, but I would rather see them edit it (if possible) to something that helps me understand what the point actually was. Marm's thread for example -- it was the actual premise of the OP and the entire thread, and I couldn't quite figure out what argument she was making and what the thread was asserting because there was nothing left in the edit, so after a few minutes I just gave up reading it. I guess she said something negative about white guys as her premise, but I'm not really sure.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Lady X View Post
    so can someone tell me how much of a change i'm going to experience with all this?

i mean have there been a lot of recent threads where people would've been infracted or threadbanned?
    There will be a general clamping down and a lower bar with respect to hostile/bullying posts and correspondingly more frequent use of a number of measures such as hostile comments being removed from posts, posts moved to OTP, threads moved to graveyard, warnings, thread bans, infractions and temp-bans.

So the answer to your question is yes. Many posts which were not infracted in the past will be infracted in the future. As stated above, we intend to issue more liberal warnings during the transition period while we all get used to the new rules. It's akin to implementing a new security system in "warn" mode for a specified period of time (if that makes sense).

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    It's nice to see some active steps being taken, but I would rather see them edit it (if possible) to something that helps me understand what the point actually was. Marm's thread for example -- it was the actual premise of the OP and the entire thread, and I couldn't quite figure out what argument she was making and what the thread was asserting because there was nothing left in the edit, so after a few minutes I just gave up reading it. I guess she said something negative about white guys as her premise, but I'm not really sure.
    I see what you mean. However, I don't think we're going to try and edit posts for people to be "nicer". It's up to the individual poster to articulate themselves in a non-hostile/bullying way. If we start putting words in people's mouths, that creates another problem .

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

MBTI
    yupp

so if being an ass translates to being hostile, does that mean even though I'm only an ass [in a joking manner] to people I like, I have to find new ways to show affection?