User Tag List

First 67891018 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Mane View Post
    sounds relatively fine - it's how the censorship can effect the top 3 here that i am worried about:

personally i don't give a shit about the bottom two, and could do well to live without them....
    I'm not sure why you're worried, do you honestly think there are many people on this site who even know how to do any of the top 3? Finding the central point appears to beyond the grasp of a good many, let alone refuting it...

now the mods are faced with the responsibility of determining intent, which is fertile ground for one thing only - the expressions of predisposed biases,
    I don't think intent should come into it at all. It's literally impossible to discern. It's also unnecessary, if the guidelines/rules are robust enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by uumlau View Post
    A good litmus test might be, "If another poster makes claims to expertise, it is appropriate to challenge that expertise. If that poster isn't claiming expertise, then challenging the poster's expertise is perhaps ad hominem." For instance, none of us, or very few of us, are experts in Jungian analysis, but we talk about Jung and his ideas all the time. Jung's typology (via Myers-Briggs) is the raison d'etre of the forum. It should be OK for novices to express opinions about Jung and his typology without having others say, "you don't know what you're talking about," without citing specific reasons for disagreement. Of course most of us aren't experts, but that isn't a reason to slam each other for not being experts. We need to be able to talk about these things (as novices, as dilettantes, as experts) without insulting each others' levels of knowledge.

The appropriate response to others making "inaccurate" claims about whatever subject is to share your knowledge, not to berate them for their ignorance.
    "You don't know what you're talking about" is not an ad hominem argument.
    /irony

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

We're still allowed to stalk other members right?

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    to all the dissenters:give it a chance if you don't like it youleave,or if no one likes it they can go back to the old way. though I suspect the 90% of the people vehemently against it are part of the problem
    I was going to post something hostile there for a joke but then I thought there's a lot of serious heads here and I'd manage to get myself banned even before the whole social exclusionary mechanism thing fires up.

The banning's coming though. I anticipate the hell out of that and will miss a couple of people when it happens. Although fuck that.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    953 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by Salomé View Post
    "You don't know what you're talking about" is not an ad hominem argument.
    /irony

No no no. An ad hominem argument is more like this:

Oh, never mind, I guess that was an "add hominy" argument.
    An argument is two people sharing their ignorance.

A discussion is two people sharing their understanding, even when they disagree.

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    I was going to post something hostile there for a joke but then I thought there's a lot of serious heads here and I'd manage to get myself banned even before the whole social exclusionary mechanism thing fires up.

The banning's coming though. I anticipate the hell out of that and will miss a couple of people when it happens. Although fuck that.
    Critique is so vitally important as part of growing up.

So the important thing is to learn to critique ideas and culture rather than the members.

However most of us come here with unresolved issues with our parents, our teachers, and our lovers. So we try to work out these issues with fellow members. Naturally this leads to projection and acting out.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

No no no. An ad hominem argument is more like this:

Oh, never mind, I guess that was an "add hominy" argument.
    Maybe you guys should go on a basic logic course prior to implementing the new rules. If you don't know what one is how the fuck you gonna moderate it?
    /serious question

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    953 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by Salomé View Post
    Maybe you guys should go on a basic logic course prior to implementing the new rules. If you don't know what one is how the fuck you gonna moderate it?
    /serious question
    Strict logic is what has failed us.

/serious answer
    An argument is two people sharing their ignorance.

A discussion is two people sharing their understanding, even when they disagree.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

That and maybe sarcasm.

Strict logic is what has failed us.

/serious answer
    Yes, what a moderator most needs is emotional intelligence.