User Tag List

First 81617181920 Last

Results 171 to 180 of 219

  1. #171
    Happy Dancer uumlau's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    953 sp/so
    Posts
    5,708

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Riva View Post
    ^ You don't see the difference between being trolled in a subtle manner and being replied to? Thank you for the quick reply. The last para was informative. A question directed at the last para: how are we to know whether the madmins would or wouldn't take an action against the perceived troll? If the madmins wouldn't consider it trolling it would be ideal for the member to be informed, so that that person could reply/continue to argue with the stalker/troll.
    In general, we cannot read minds based on what people post. We can observe members deciding to ignore warnings/infractions.

    Whether or not a particular post is a "troll" can be a matter for debate. Whether or not one member is harassing another member after we warn them to stop the harassment is remarkably objective.
    An argument is two people sharing their ignorance.

    A discussion is two people sharing their understanding, even when they disagree.

  2. #172
    Riva
    Guest

    Default

    So I guess that's a no to my question.

  3. #173
    meh Salomé's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Posts
    10,540

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Riva View Post
    @Ivy is stalkish behaviour (trolling someone from one thread to another) considered an offense? I assume so. However what should be the frequency of this occurence? It would be ideal to have a number (2,3,4 etc). Of course if the arguments are in line with the thread/subject being discussed it wouldn't or shouldn't be considered trolling.
    Dear madmin,
    How do I get away with trolling?
    Sincerely, Riva
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

  4. #174
    Riva
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Salomé View Post
    Dear madmin, How do I get away with trolling?Sincerely, Riva
    Publicly? I had a more important question in the one after that.

  5. #175
    ^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp
    Posts
    13,909

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    I think almost everybody has their own perception/definition of what constitutes trolling. It is an extremely vague term that IME often gets used to mean "I don't like this person and everything they do annoys me so I'm just going to call it all trolling."
    When I first started using the interweb forum places, the world trolling specifically meant someone who tried to instigate another person into getting an infraction.
    Go to sleep, iguana.


    _________________________________
    INTP. Type 1>6>5. sx/sp.
    Live and let live will just amount to might makes right

  6. #176
    philosopher wood nymph greenfairy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    MBTI
    iNfj
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Posts
    4,042

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CapLawyer View Post
    This better not turn into a wannabe kumbaya-singing feeler-biased playground. Meaty discussions better still be possible without interruption or punishment. Then again, I can always go somewhere else.
    What would be an example of a "meaty" discussion which would not be following the new guidelines according to excessive "feeling" standards in your opinion?

    I think it's possible in every discussion to follow them. It happens in universities. Universities are where the most rational and intellectual discussions happen, and they're as friendly to feeling standards as anything.

    I mean, my thoughts on the matter are that standards of social conduct are in no way threatening to rational discussion. Thinkers tend to disparage emotion in debate as being irrational, but hostility is emotion based. Emotion in general detracts from rational discussion- that's where we get logical fallacies and rhetoric. So if you are arguing in favor of hostility you're in effect arguing against your own thinking function.

  7. #177

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by greenfairy View Post
    What would be an example of a "meaty" discussion which would not be following the new guidelines according to excessive "feeling" standards in your opinion?

    I think it's possible in every discussion to follow them. It happens in universities. Universities are where the most rational and intellectual discussions happen, and they're as friendly to feeling standards as anything.

    I mean, my thoughts on the matter are that standards of social conduct are in no way threatening to rational discussion. Thinkers tend to disparage emotion in debate as being irrational, but hostility is emotion based. Emotion in general detracts from rational discussion- that's where we get logical fallacies and rhetoric. So if you are arguing in favor of hostility you're in effect arguing against your own thinking function.
    I'm pretty much done talking about this, because it's driving me up a wall, but I just had to chime in and agree with this. I don't understand how hostility and dickishness are necessary elements of debate and discussion. If you have to throw a hissy to make your point, you should lose anyway.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

    Johari
    /Nohari

  8. #178
    nee andante bechimo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    8,024

    Default

    Okay I get it. No snark. Y'all take the fun out of life.

  9. #179
    Society
    Guest

    Default

    Posting or communication that vilifies, degrades, attacks or incites prejudicial action against a person or group on the basis of race, gender, age, ethnicity, nationality, gender identity, disability, appearance, mental capacity or sexual orientation.
    so... does haight still get to make jew jokes?

    or rather: are we still going by the [largely undeclared yet somehow always implemented] rule of "it's ok to be politically incorrect in regards to your own groups [despite the fact this is the internet and as far as anyone know anyone else might be catfishing the rest i regards to assuming the group's identity to begin with]"?

  10. #180
    Seriously Delirious Udog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    INfp
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp None
    Posts
    5,295

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by andante View Post
    Okay I get it. No snark. Y'all take the fun out of life.
    Where did you get this interpretation? Something from this thread? Other?*

    Curious here, simply because that's not my interpretation, but I'm not overly snarky except on rare occasion, so am unlikely find out where the mods are drawing the line.

    *I guess if you received a warning, you may not want to share that info... so understood.
    Last edited by Udog; 11-19-2013 at 11:31 PM. Reason: Fixed grammar. Drying the line? Yikes.

Similar Threads

  1. SUPER IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT
    By yama in forum Welcomes and Introductions
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-09-2016, 11:00 PM
  2. IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT - Linking Posts
    By highlander in forum Official Decrees
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10-15-2015, 10:12 PM
  3. IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT
    By Ivy in forum Official Decrees
    Replies: 170
    Last Post: 04-07-2015, 12:48 PM
  4. Forum Announcement
    By MacGuffin in forum Official Decrees
    Replies: 118
    Last Post: 05-21-2010, 06:46 PM
  5. Replies: 33
    Last Post: 11-04-2009, 07:05 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO