User Tag List

First 8910111220 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

I don't think we plan to get involved in productive or lighthearted exchanges that don't produce any enmity.

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    I don't think we plan to get involved in productive or lighthearted exchanges that don't produce any enmity.
    good.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

I just want to express my admiration for the mods in tempering their hostility, thus far. Nice one, guys.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

MBTI
    INTj

So far, so good.
    "The only time I'm wrong is when I'm questioning myself."
    Haight

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    I see what you mean. However, I don't think we're going to try and edit posts for people to be "nicer". It's up to the individual poster to articulate themselves in a non-hostile/bullying way. If we start putting words in people's mouths, that creates another problem .
    It was the premise for an entire thread, Highlander, so you need to take a little more care with it.

If the premise was SO terrible, then why let the thread remain at all? And if another conversation began that you do think is worth saving, then just ditch the OP altogether / pull out the parts worth reading and toss the offending post altogether.

Let's face it, as a mod you've made the decision to edit a thread and are now taking words OUT of people's mouths. You don't get to have cold feet at that point; let's just go for some kind of edit that still provides sense to the discussion line, if you plan to keep one.

(If it matters, I would have edited it as well -- another member dropped me a line to let me know what the post had said.)
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTj

Good idea. You're hired.
    Haight

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Haight View Post
    Good idea. You're hired.
    You can't afford me.

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTj

I can. I am just not willing.
    Haight

garbage

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    It was the premise for an entire thread, Highlander, so you need to take a little more care with it.

If the premise was SO terrible, then why let the thread remain at all? And if another conversation began that you do think is worth saving, then just ditch the OP altogether / pull out the parts worth reading and toss the offending post altogether.

Let's face it, as a mod you've made the decision to edit a thread and are now taking words OUT of people's mouths. You don't get to have cold feet at that point; let's just go for some kind of edit that still provides sense to the discussion line.
    That's one of the lines that we're all learning as mods.

Where does 'discussion about a group' cross into 'hatred of that group'? And even the other way around--that is, what if a 'hatred' comment has led into meaningful discussion?

There were at least three or four mods involved in discussing that instance. We'd considered GYing the thing. But by the point we got to that thread, there was meaningful discussion that we didn't want to shut down. We also don't want to shut down any very insightful thread that happens to tangentially have some slight slur. We removed the part that we thought was clear 'hate speech,' but then removal naturally raises questions of what was removed, whether context was lost, and so on.

I use that instance as an example -- we want to try isolate 'hate speech' from 'discussion of groups,' so as not to shut down meaningful discussion. We're talking internally about how generally to do so and how to codify it in the FAQ, and we'd welcome input in this thread, too.

Another hypothetical -- an editorial newspaper clipping from the 20s stating that a KKK member had given a talk about the good deeds that the Klan had done, and from the author's POV the member gave a good talk. That's a thing that happened. It shouldn't be off the table.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by bologna View Post
    There were at least three or four mods involved in discussing that instance. We'd considered GYing the thing. But by the point we got to that thread, there was meaningful discussion that we didn't want to shut down. We removed the part that we thought was clear 'hate speech,' but then removal naturally raises questions of what was removed, whether context was lost, and so on.
    Thanks, I appreciate the information you've provided here. I know sometimes it's not an easy call.

I guess as far as my feedback goes, just consider it "feedback from the ground" level and use it to calibrate.

Quote Originally Posted by Haight View Post
    I can. I am just not willing.
    What if I sweeten the deal by volunteering for barrista duty and waxing your car once a week on the side?