First 789101119 Last

Thread: Mac is Gone

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by fidelia View Post
    I think Mac gets his own thread because he was one of the first people over here when this website began and he has also been a mod. Therefore, it wouldn't be surprising that his sudden absence would warrant an announcement different than some of the usual banned and the damned items.
    Its has really given me pause for thought because I dont know/didnt notice him at all, this is a bit like that routine from Father Ted were Ted asks Doggle about this day at which all these mad things happened to him like falling in a tiger pen or something and he has no idea, until Ted says "you wore your red jumper" and he's like "ah, yeah, I remember now".

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Aquarelle View Post
    Agreed. I'm as curious as the next guy but it's really none of my beeswax, and I'd rather know that my privacy would be respected.
    That I think is the fairest thing I've read in this thread, if someone has been aggrieved enough to have to take it to Haight and to request protection from gossips and trolls its grand that they get that protection and good to know that anyone else could call for that if they need it too.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Salomé View Post
    Which is preferable on a public forum: fear of "arbitrary" banning or fear of not having privacy/confidentiality respected? If an issue was disclosed for Haight's ears only, as the person who bears ultimate responsibility for the site, then it would be wrong of him to repeat it and equally wrong not to act upon it. This aside from the fact that he is entitled to refuse membership to whomsoever he chooses.

To suggest otherwise is to imply that no one has the right to privacy and protection on this forum. That's a much more frightening prospect.
    I'll be honest with you that I'd be more concerned about a compromise of privacy than arbitrary bannings because arbitrary bannings do not seem a credible fear, not on this forum anyway, the compromise of privacy however or abuse of mod powers in that way does worry me.

If I wasnt concerned about privacy I'd not be using a pseudonom for a start, the internet is very unforgiving to anyone who screws up or is too trusting of privacy sometimes. I've read good libertarian or even just safety conscious sources which have been adament that the only really private place now is inside your head but I think it shouldnt really be so.

Online communities will always be full of people attacking mods and modding per se because, I personally believe, there's a lot of maturity fails online. Its a haven for it. Although most adults are going to be more concerned about betrayals of trust or private information.

Anew Leaf

When I first saw this thread, I thought Apple was going bankrupt and I was getting concerned because I really like my iPhone.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    IEE

Well, I did my obsessive homework on this, and I've arrived at the decision to trust that Haight likely had good reason.

I liked Mac, and never took him too seriously. I prefer to just keep it that way given what I have to work with here.

Here is one possible clue.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by JAVO View Post
    Here is one possible clue.
    What, Mac was assimilated by the Borg?? Then it was right to ban him, for we do not want to the Borg to have access to assimilate all the gossip information on this forum.
    Masquerading as a normal person day after day is exhausting.

My blog:
    TypeC: Adventures of an Introvert
    Wordpress: http://introvertadventures.wordpress.com/

philosopher wood nymph greenfairy's Avatar
    MBTI
    iNfj
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by The Ü View Post
    I kinda liked him. Don't exactly know if he returned those sentiments toward me, but I'm rather shocked at this. And he was on the forum even before me, which makes it even more shocking. And to think that such an old member is banned out of the blue like this for undisclosed reasons, it probably means it's because of some real life reason. Regardless, I'm sorry to see one of The Ancients™ go.
    Alas, sometimes it's necessary to have a regime change.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Salomé View Post
    Which is preferable on a public forum: fear of "arbitrary" banning or fear of not having privacy/confidentiality respected? If an issue was disclosed for Haight's ears only, as the person who bears ultimate responsibility for the site, then it would be wrong of him to repeat it and equally wrong not to act upon it. This aside from the fact that he is entitled to refuse membership to whomsoever he chooses.

To suggest otherwise is to imply that no one has the right to privacy and protection on this forum. That's a much more frightening prospect.
    I very much agree with you -- and especially in this circumstance. Haight's only real option in this situation has been to keep private what he knows, while also choosing to act upon it, and meanwhile suffering the inevitable slew of suspicion that comes along with that responsibility. There is no other real choice that preserves trust and integrity.

There are situations in our modern court of law where newspapers do not release names, in order to not victimize a victim any further than the perpetrator already has. Everyone here should be aware of the kinds of situations where such non-disclosure would be applicable, and thus understand that "arbitrary bannings" is not really a concern here to worry about.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

philosopher wood nymph greenfairy's Avatar
    MBTI
    iNfj
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Yeah, I figure if you live on that thin line between provocative and rule-breaking, then you shouldn't be surprised or outraged if you get banned. If it was to happen to me, I'd just make sure to not do whatever I did in the future.

So as for other people I don't worry that much, as long as I trust the mods to not just "arbitrarily ban" people all the time; and honestly even if they did, it's just a website. We're probably better off spending time in the real world on more productive things.

I agree privacy and protection from harassment is an important issue, and I'd rather have the system we have than not have one; and there doesn't seem to be a better option.