First 10181920212230 Last

Thread: Mac is Gone

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

Seriously people, the man isn't even here to defend himself. This is getting really tasteless.
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

"Harm none, do as ye will”

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Amargith View Post
    Seriously people, the man isn't even here to defend himself. This is getting really tasteless.
    youre right...i don't mean to call the dude a lurch...that was tasteless...i don't even know anything about any of this...was more responding to the "idea" of whats being presented here.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

MBTI
    TIGR
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    EII None

Seriously, nothing's really been said. lol

I always wish the best for people, so of course I wish Mac and his family well. Also, if we weren't meant to discuss anything, then my guess is this thread would be locked.

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Tigerlily View Post
    Seriously, nothing's really been said. lol
    No, but plenty is being insinuated, whether it be the truth or not. This thread was created to protect *everyone's* privacy, including Mac's. Yet somehow it is just fine to make insinuations, and gossip about this man without him being even here to debunk or defend what is just hear-say, rumors, overactive imaginations or actually true. Call me crazy, but from where I sit, that is fucking slander.

Somehow entertainment value and gossip mongering is more important than someone's privacy or even just the plain facts. Is it really that hard to just accept that the fact is that this stuff is on a need-to-know-basis and we do *NOT* need to know??

And it's not just in this thread. It's *every* time something dramatic happens on this forum (or rather, something that get somehow turned into drama) that people get slandered, speculations fly wildly and its a fucking trainwreck.

Frankly, I feel it is degrading to the people involved, tasteless and utterly disgusting. And the worst part is that it just never ends.

/
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

MBTI
    intp

Whoa. Amargith is mad.as.hell!

I've been spared the gory behind the scenes, but . . .

This thread was created to protect *everyone's* privacy, including Mac's.
    Was it really for everyone or for the alleged victim[s]? Serious question.

Call me crazy, but from where I sit, that is fucking slander.
    The word you're looking for is libel, not slander, and it only qualifies as such if false facts are alleged, regardless of the party's availability for refutation. I'll pass on calling you crazy though. You're riled up enough as is.
    hoarding time and space
    A single event can awaken within us a stranger totally unknown to us. To live is to be slowly born.
    — Antoine de Saint-Exupery

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

No, but plenty is being insinuated, whether it be the truth or not. This thread was created to protect *everyone's* privacy, including Mac's. Yet somehow it is just fine to make insinuations, and gossip about this man without him being even here to debunk or defend what is just hear-say, rumors, overactive imaginations or actually true. Call me crazy, but from where I sit, that is fucking slander.

Somehow entertainment value and gossip mongering is more important than someone's privacy or even just the plain facts. Is it really that hard to just accept that the fact is that this stuff is on a need-to-know-basis and we do *NOT* need to know??

And it's not just in this thread. It's *every* time something dramatic happens on this forum (or rather, something that get somehow turned into drama) that people get slandered, speculations fly wildly and its a fucking trainwreck.

Frankly, I feel it is degrading to the people involved, tasteless and utterly disgusting. And the worst part is that it just never ends.

/
    Amargith, I can empathize with your feelings here, but I'm not sure how else this whole thing could have gone.

If Haight hadn't created this thread, some member would have, in order to complain about the decision.

And as soon as the thread got created, you automatically have (1) Haight not being able to reveal specific reasons for Mac's removal and saying, "Trust me," (2) some people saying, "Okay, I guess, it's your forum / we trust you," (3) other people saying, "We can't trust this decision / don't trust you, at least not without more information; why was this done?", and (4) people in the know or having a good idea what happened not having a legitimate way to respond since, to put all the details out on the table would just make things even nastier, but meanwhile without details people who don't know anything about the situation will continue to argue about the decision and throw around their OWN pointless (and incorrect) accusations.

Would it be any better to create a list of specific incidents that would embarss the people involved further, by your reasoning? Because I am certain such a list could be created. No one wants to go there, it's because people are trying to be decent and just don't know what to do.

Bottom line: It was a no-winner for everyone involved as soon as Mac was banned, and hopefully it will just blow over soon enough and life will move on, as there's no other way to draw things to a close.

To be honest, my experience with Mac is that he would just avoid this whole thread altogether (at least in terms of providing a substantial/serious response to it), except maybe to just say it's no one's business and he doesn't want to discuss it.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by INA View Post

The word you're looking for is libel, not slander, and it only qualifies as such if false facts are alleged, regardless of the party's availability for refutation. I'll pass on calling you crazy though. You're riled up enough as is.
    Thanks for the vocabulary lesson, I knew that it was coming as I'm unfamiliar with that kind of specific jargon in English (aka, I've never had to translate legal stuff into English )

As for the privacy concern, I sincerely hope it was meant for *everyone* included, meaning Mac as well. It should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Amargith, I can empathize with your feelings here, but I'm not sure how else this whole thing could have gone.
    Sadly, you are right. It still is disheartening. And it should be commented on.

To be honest, my experience with Mac is that he would just avoid this whole thread altogether (at least in terms of providing a substantial/serious response to it), except maybe to just say it's no one's business and he doesn't want to discuss it.
    Perhaps you are right. As to the bolded: it truly is no one's business except those involved. And as I've said what I wanted to, I think I'll follow his hypothetical example.
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

Let me count the ways Betty Blue's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7W6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

I kinda like it.

Not sure of this reasoning. Alledged victim/s would benefit from this thread?

False facts *scratches head*

Vala makes good points though.
    "We knew he was someone who had a tragic flaw, that's where his greatness came from"

MBTI
    TIGR
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    EII None

Perhaps someone should start a loveable perverts thread.

MBTI
    intp

Quote Originally Posted by HelenOfTroy View Post
    I kinda like it.
    Ditto. The openness of it is a rare treat.

Quote Originally Posted by HelenOfTroy View Post

Not sure of this reasoning. Alledged victim/s would benefit from this thread?
    Not from the thread, which was a necessity, but from not having the allegations hashed out in a public forum.

False facts *scratches head*
    This might help the itch.
    hoarding time and space
    A single event can awaken within us a stranger totally unknown to us. To live is to be slowly born.
    — Antoine de Saint-Exupery