User Tag List

First 8910111220 Last

Vent for Dummies (j/k, j/k): Mac Edition

To connect:

To chat:

If the text chat window doesn't open up by default when you connect, click 'Chat'.

Setting up your mic:

Click 'Setup' on the top ventrilo window

It will take you to a screen that looks like this, where you can make sure that the mic you want is being used (check out the drop down list of sound devices to the right) and select a hotkey from your keyboard that you can press to activate your mic whenever you want to talk.

Modifying a user's volume:

Sometimes, you're trying to listen to someone talk but they are ear splittingly loud or extremely quiet and mumbly. You can modify their volume by right clicking on their username, scrolling down to miscellaneous and clicking special effects. Like so:

PMing a user:

Right click on their name, scroll down to 'User' and click 'Private chat'. BONUS: If they're really annoying and loud, you can also mute them from the same place.

Those are the basics. If you want to get really fancy schmancy, read ahead.

BINDINGS:

Say you want to talk to someone over voice chat but you don't want the whole room knowing your business. You want to do it on the DL. This is what bindings are for. And here's how to set them up.

1. Click the arrow to the right of the drop down menu that says bindings. It will open up a screen that looks like this. If you want to set up a new binding, click 'New'.

2. Once you've clicked new, the following screen will pop up. You can assign a name to the binding here. Since I've decided I want to private voice chat with Vasilisa, I've called the binding ... wait for it ... Vasilisa. You can be more creative than me if you want though. Click OK when you're done.

3. Once you're done with the naming part, click 'Add'.

4. This is where you pick a special hotkey for your binding that you can push whenever you want to private voice chat this person. Make sure it's something different from your regular hotkey that broadcasts your voice to everyone. Also make sure that the drop down menu right underneath the hotkey field is set to PTT (push to talk) advanced. Click OK

5. Once you've clicked OK, the following screen will pop up. Go to the drop down menu and make sure it's set to user-to-user. Once that's done, click on the three dots underneath the Users' logon names section.

6. Once you've done this, you can add the users you want to private voice chat. Surprise! You can private voice chat more than one person at a time if you want. Pretty rad. Just select from the list to the right and click add. Then click OK.

7. Back to this screen. Click OK again.

8. Final step. You need to activate your binding now. Go to that drop down menu on top, click it, and select the binding you want to use. Once it's selected, hit the special hot key you chose to chat and PROFIT.

OK, now, welcome to vent. Ask me if you have any questions.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4 sp/so

Useful Mac info: links don't show up as hot, but you can command-click them as opposed to copying & pasting them.

Thanks again, @Time, for this tip.
    Johari / Nohari

“That we are capable only of being what we are remains our unforgivable sin.” ― Gene Wolfe

reminder to self: "That YOU that you are so proud of is a story woven together by your interpreter module to account for as much of your behavior as it can incorporate, and it denies or rationalizes the rest." "Who's in Charge? Free Will and the Science of the Brain" by Michael S. Gazzaniga

Senior Member captain curmudgeon's Avatar
    MBTI
    BIRD
    Enneagram
    631 sp

Quote Originally Posted by YWIR View Post
    You can mute users, specifically. Right click user name. MUTE

I think everyone has @captian cumdungeon and @Mane permantely muted ;}
    I'm so mad and depressed.

Jarlaxle: fact checking this thread makes me want to go all INFP on my wrists

"I'm in competition with myself and I'm losing."
    -Roger Waters

ReadingRainbows: OMG GUYS
    ReadingRainbows: GUESS WHAT EXISTS FOR ME
    hel: fairies?
    Captain Curmudgeon: existential angst?

Johari Nohari

https://www.librarything.com/profile/wheelchairdoug

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Ventrillo licenses are now increased to 48 slots

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

@prplchknz said she doesn't want new people. So I'm not joining vent.
    "If you try to build something that is idiot-proof, the universe will build a better idiot."
    I'm an extrovert trapped within an introverted soul.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

@prplchknz is not the boss of Vent. Joinnnnn usssss.

Quote Originally Posted by Mal12345 View Post
    @prplchknz said she doesn't want new members. So I'm not joining vent.
    omg i even wrote up a guide to make it easier for people to join. DON'T MAKE EXCUSES.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Thanks for the invite, Ivy. It looks pretty random, like any chat. I did have a fun time on Vent once, another Vent. I was connecting to random vent rooms on a server (they weren't even password protected), where I came across one that was preparing for a battle in some online video war game.

All I could see was the chat, of course. The "general" or whoever was preparing everybody for the battle. In the middle of his preparations, I shouted -

"NOW!!!!!!!!"

- in the room.

After a few seconds of dead silence, he responded, "This will upset the entire guild."

So I'm afraid if I join this Vent, the entire forum might go insane.
    "If you try to build something that is idiot-proof, the universe will build a better idiot."

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    yeah, i like people joining but sometimes i just don't want to meet new people,
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by senza tema View Post
    omg i even wrote up a guide to make it easier for people to join. DON'T MAKE EXCUSES.
    Yes, and I appreciate that, although I'm sure you don't want the forum to go insane either.