Vent for Dummies (j/k, j/k): Mac Edition
If the text chat window doesn't open up by default when you connect, click 'Chat'.
Setting up your mic:
Click 'Setup' on the top ventrilo window
It will take you to a screen that looks like this, where you can make sure that the mic you want is being used (check out the drop down list of sound devices to the right) and select a hotkey from your keyboard that you can press to activate your mic whenever you want to talk.
Modifying a user's volume:
Sometimes, you're trying to listen to someone talk but they are ear splittingly loud or extremely quiet and mumbly. You can modify their volume by right clicking on their username, scrolling down to miscellaneous and clicking special effects. Like so:
PMing a user:
Right click on their name, scroll down to 'User' and click 'Private chat'. BONUS: If they're really annoying and loud, you can also mute them from the same place.
Those are the basics. If you want to get really fancy schmancy, read ahead.
Say you want to talk to someone over voice chat but you don't want the whole room knowing your business. You want to do it on the DL. This is what bindings are for. And here's how to set them up.
1. Click the arrow to the right of the drop down menu that says bindings. It will open up a screen that looks like this. If you want to set up a new binding, click 'New'.
2. Once you've clicked new, the following screen will pop up. You can assign a name to the binding here. Since I've decided I want to private voice chat with Vasilisa, I've called the binding ... wait for it ... Vasilisa. You can be more creative than me if you want though. Click OK when you're done.
3. Once you're done with the naming part, click 'Add'.
4. This is where you pick a special hotkey for your binding that you can push whenever you want to private voice chat this person. Make sure it's something different from your regular hotkey that broadcasts your voice to everyone. Also make sure that the drop down menu right underneath the hotkey field is set to PTT (push to talk) advanced. Click OK
5. Once you've clicked OK, the following screen will pop up. Go to the drop down menu and make sure it's set to user-to-user. Once that's done, click on the three dots underneath the Users' logon names section.
6. Once you've done this, you can add the users you want to private voice chat. Surprise! You can private voice chat more than one person at a time if you want. Pretty rad. Just select from the list to the right and click add. Then click OK.
7. Back to this screen. Click OK again.
8. Final step. You need to activate your binding now. Go to that drop down menu on top, click it, and select the binding you want to use. Once it's selected, hit the special hot key you chose to chat and PROFIT.
OK, now, welcome to vent. Ask me if you have any questions.