First 23456 Last

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Haight View Post
    The worst possible scenario is me spending all the money on drugs and alcohol and going into a tailspin that ends with an assassination attempt quickly followed by a bullet to the head.
    Hmmm, if we viral market a video of the whole thing, I bet we could afford FIVE servers in no time!

Sometimes the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few... or the one.

. . . just say'n.
    Yup. Me too.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by spirilis View Post
    ut oh, I need to keep my work at work... lol

yeah I'm passing PM's back and forth with FC just getting an idea as to where the slowness is actually coming from... I'm curious more than anything
    Thanks. . . I really appreciate it.
    "The only time I'm wrong is when I'm questioning myself."
    Haight

The first in a double post! Who wants pie?
    They're running just like you
    For you, and I, wooo
    So people, people, need some good ol' love

I love this place! So I'm REALLY hoping this fundraiser gets us the servizzle.

Off the top of my head, I'm wondering if it's MBTIc alone who has to raise $750, or INTPc and MBTIc together. Uh, if you can't tell, I have no idea how much a server (of any model or make) costs. Right now, I'm assuming each forum has to raise $750 respectively.

More and more the server has been completely refusing to let me in. It's not just taking a while, it's outright refusing: "FU, go away!"

I really hope this fund-raiser gets us that server. It's times like these that a job and a credit card would come in handy.

P.S. I didn't read the whole thread, which may be obvious, so if the question's been answered, I'll get around to finding it. WHEN THE SERVER ANSWERS MY REQUESTS, the damn bum!

P.P.S. I have a couple other questions*, actually. How close to unquestioning surrender and defeat is our old beloved, god-forsaken server? Is there a good chance it'll crash and MBTIc (and INTPc) will go completely off-line for a few days? During the switch from one server to the other (assuming we get the new one), how long do you think MBTIc will be down? Where the heck do you buy servers, anyway?

*Unnecessary questions that only serve my and my fellow MBTIc members' broader understanding, that is. Think of the children!

PPPPPPPS: Thanks for your efforts and energy, madmins. I love you (well, some of you)! You know what though? I'd really appreciate some locks of hair from all of you. It's kind of a strange fetish of mine.
    They're running just like you
    For you, and I, wooo
    So people, people, need some good ol' love

MBTI
    InTP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp
    Socionics
    INTj Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Mempy View Post
    P.P.S. I have a couple other questions*, actually. How close to unquestioning surrender and defeat is our old beloved, god-forsaken server? Is there a good chance it'll crash and MBTIc (and INTPc) will go completely off-line for a few days?
    I'd imagine the site will just get progressively harder to access during peak times, but off-peak it'll still be up... doubt it'll "go completely down"

Where the heck do you buy servers, anyway?
    Several vendors sell pre-made servers; Dell, HP, IBM, Sun Microsystems are examples of big vendors. You can build them yourself too; they're basically overglorified PCs with fancy cases and more expensive (read: better manufactured, more "high-resiliency" features) hardware. I built one for my basement for running various stuff (VMware virtual machines, some disk serving, it also acts as my home router), cost me around $1500 to build it from scratch. The cost mostly hinges on what you put inside it. Building or buying a server with 32GB of RAM is obviously going to cost many thousands of dollars more than buying one with 2GB RAM, for instance. I believe the standard profile Dell PowerEdge 1950 we buy at my workplace costs around the $3-4K range, but we've purchased a particular kind of server from SUN that costs around $300K, and that's USED (refurbished). So the price varies very widely based on what's inside and what it's capable of doing.

Many colocation facilities (ie datacenters, places where you host servers if you need access to lots of internet bandwidth) also offer "dedicated server hosting" packages where they supply the server, ie they have a small stash of them on site, and you pay a certain fee to buy one from them and have them set it up/get it ready for your use, and then you pay a monthly fee for the bandwidth/power/etc. It sounds like that's what the folks are doing with intpc/mbtic now, though I'm not sure if they purchased the server from the colo or not.

MBTI
    INTj

Come on people! Give until it hurts!

INPTc has made their half and you folks are only halfway to $750.

God knows it's payday for at least ten of you (those living in parents basements are exempt from the "payday" reference).
    "The only time I'm wrong is when I'm questioning myself."
    Haight

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Haight View Post
    Come on people! Give until it hurts!

INPTc has made their half and you folks are only halfway to $750.

God knows it's payday for at least ten of you (those living in parents basements are exempt from the "payday" reference).
    The donation link in the OP sends people to the INTPc donation page though, so I don't really trust these results. (Unless you've calculated them another way.)

Btw: Who wants the receipt ID?
    I have arms for a fucking reaosn, so come hold me. Then we'll fuvk! Whoooooh! - GZA

MBTI
    InTP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp
    Socionics
    INTj Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Carebear View Post
    The donation link in the OP sends people to the INTPc donation page though, so I don't really trust these results. (Unless you've calculated them another way.)

Btw: Who wants the receipt ID?
    ditto, I used the intpc donation page and haven't told anyone my transaction ID yet

Carebear, the 'official' mbtic donate link is on the footer of each page.

MBTI
    INXP

Quote Originally Posted by file cabinet View Post
    Carebear, the 'official' mbtic donate link is on the footer of each page.
    Aha! So the opening post of this thread is wrong, as it sends people to INTPC to donate. Not that in the long run it matters...