User Tag List

First 12345 Last

MBTI
    GONE

Hi, I've noticed a few posts about the server issues but since ironically I haven't been able to really get on the site to follow all those theads -- I just had some questions.

(I'm excited about the drive btw! It's an easy way to make a big impact on a daily addiction something we're a part of)

I thought the server cost $1500 -- so the cost is being split 50/50 between INTPc and MBTIc?

So Haight is the owner of this site -- is he also an owner of INTPc? Otherwise, there's an agreement with the owners of INTPc and everything is coordinated and copacetic as to terms and conditions of sharing the new server? I'm not tech savvy so I have no idea how such agreements are normally worked out or what they entail, I was just checking that everything's set.

Also, being not tech/server savvy I have some noob questions:

Since both forums are run on one server, how will the bandwidth(?), mojo, whatever it's called that powers the sites -- be split between the two INTPc & MBTIc? Will any other sites shared the server? Do the rules of mojo apply evenly to all the server clients?

I just wouldn't want some worst case scenario where we've chipped in money for a server that we don't get to use fully (meaning our full share of) and we still experience lag and connect issues and the other sites on the server don't. Yes, I am paranoid, it helps me be practical.
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

MBTI
    InTP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp
    Socionics
    INTj Ni

Well if they're getting their own dedicated server, I wouldn't think other sites would be sharing it. Bandwidth in such scenarios is usually utilized "on-demand" -- there's usually no way to "enforce" one site to use 50% of the bandwidth, so to speak (well it's possible but probably involves more $$ hardware or more trouble to the sysadmin than it's worth)

I'd say if they get this rolling and we still see persistent lag, then something's going wrong (and it might not be resource problems; could be configuration or whatnot). Either way, being a sysadmin myself, I know people need to be patient with these things since there's usually a lot involved on the back-end of things.

MBTI
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    Ah, awkward. I always have a bad time with paypal in the UK. Happy to donate though.

Hope you don't mind a couple of questions :

-what would happen if you got bored with the forum and/or stormed off in a tiff like people running forums sometimes do (been there, got the t shirt). I know it's a blunt thing to say, but sometimes you just got to ask these things. Presumably it'll technically be the forum's server and not personal property?

-Is the idea to let us know when enough has been raised so that it doesn't become a cash cow unnecessarily?
    a/ Thank you.
    b/ Your history is not my history. I'm not going anywhere. However, if I died, it would go to Ivy (it's in the will).
    c/ I'll let you know, don't worry. I'm not planning on making a living off of this. I just want to cover expenses since I'm a little short on cash these days.
    "The only time I'm wrong is when I'm questioning myself."
    Haight

MBTI
    TIGR
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    EII None

Never give what you can't afford to lose. I also don't foresee Haight bailing. He'd have already done it by now.

I had considered starting a forum but with all the hassle it would involve I'd rather give up some cash to this one and be done with it.
    Time is a delicate mistress.

MBTI
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by CzeCze View Post
    I thought the server cost $1500 -- so the cost is being split 50/50 between INTPc and MBTIc?
    I hope it works out that way. But yes, that is the goal.

So Haight is the owner of this site -- is he also an owner of INTPc?
    Yes.

Will any other sites shared the server?
    No. It will be a server dedicated to the two sites.

I just wouldn't want some worst case scenario where we've chipped in money for a server that we don't get to use fully (meaning our full share of) and we still experience lag and connect issues and the other sites on the server don't. Yes, I am paranoid, it helps me be practical.
    The worst possible scenario is me spending all the money on drugs and alcohol and going into a tailspin that ends with an assassination attempt quickly followed by a bullet to the head.

. . . just say'n.

Quote Originally Posted by spirilis View Post
    Well if they're getting their own dedicated server, I wouldn't think other sites would be sharing it.
    Correct.

And congratulations. . . you are the new Assistant Tech Admin.
    Haight

MBTI
    INXP

Quote Originally Posted by Haight View Post
    a/ Thank you.
    b/ Your history is not my history. I'm not going anywhere. However, if I died, it would go to Ivy (it's in the will).
    c/ I'll let you know, don't worry. I'm not planning on making a living off of this. I just want to cover expenses since I'm a little short on cash these days.
    Cool. So if I read this rightly, if you decided you weren't interested in the forum in the future, retired, etc, it'd be passed to Ivy to run? Sounds an excellent idea.

MBTI
    INTj

Yes. That is correct.
    Haight

perdu fleur par bologne Martoon's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Yeah, Haight's not going anywhere. INTPs suck at leaving bad relationships.
    I'm not a procrastinator. I'm a long-term planner.

MBTI
    TIGR
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    EII None

Evidently so, but it appears to me that they don't suck when it comes to accessorizing.
    Time is a delicate mistress.

MBTI
    InTP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp
    Socionics
    INTj Ni

ut oh, I need to keep my work at work... lol

yeah I'm passing PM's back and forth with FC just getting an idea as to where the slowness is actually coming from... I'm curious more than anything