User Tag List

First 9101112 Last

MBTI
    INXP

Ah, I just read that thread on INTPC. Can't say I am remotely surprised it was something odd with the machine, some other processes. I did try and ask this at the time! I also have been wondering why, for a week or so, with virtually noone bothering to post (or at least succeeding) and it still being like treactle whether there was something else to blame.

So do we have rogue processes on the box this is run on (or is it the same box?)

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ExTJ

Stuff moved here.

MBTI
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Jen View Post
    So what will now happen to all the money that was collected?
    We still purchased a new server. Hence, the money is going right where it was intended.

The only difference is that the performance problems have been corrected for the interim.

Even if that were not the case, we've put a lot more money into the sites over the last year than has been collected during the donation process. Therefore, your underlying point is, well. . . pointless.
    "The only time I'm wrong is when I'm questioning myself."
    Haight

MBTI
    TIGR
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    EII None

For you maybe, I don't think it's pointless and neither do others. I mean you were told how to correct it but choose to be arrogant and gave your usual smart ass response instead. Good thing macstann didn't share your opinion and followed through.
    Time is a delicate mistress.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    873 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

*Now glad he didn't pay a cent, even though he had none to pay*

MBTI
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Jen View Post
    For you maybe, I don't think it's pointless and neither do others. I mean you were told how to correct it but choose to be arrogant and gave your usual smart ass response instead. Good thing macstann didn't share your opinion and followed through.
    Two things:

a/ Show me the "smart ass" response.
    b/ As has been stated, I'm not the tech guy. I merely pass that information along to fc if he's not on the forum reading it himself. So feel free to yell at him; however, you're barking up the wrong true with your assumptions.
    "The only time I'm wrong is when I'm questioning myself."
    Haight

Not identifying the true underlying issue was both a failure on my part and the sysadmins of the server. The money that was donated will serve to cover domain renewal, vBulletin costs and the new server.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by file cabinet View Post
    Not identifying the true underlying issue was both a failure on my part and the sysadmins of the server. The money that was donated will serve to cover domain renewal, vBulletin costs and the new server.
    I really appreciate your honesty, fc. You could easily have said this was the new server and evaded any gripes from people who donated (since they wouldn't have known the difference), but you didn't do that. I might well have done something like that myself if I were in that kind of a fix, but then I'm an INFJ and you're a... well, a T I guess, but I don't know what type you are.

Seriously, I know that computers are complex systems and seemingly obvious issues can be honestly overlooked at times (I mean, look how many patches/bugfixes even companies like Microsoft have to release, and how often new versions of drivers are released). All you can do is try harder not to jump to conclusions, and force yourself to diagnose situations more meticulously in the future... that's how I've had to learn to deal with my own computers.

That said, I don't regret my donation. I'm sure it will be put to good use and help keep this site running for a while longer.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

I'm glad the problem has been taken care of. I'm not at all connected to the tech side of things but I do seem to recall several instances in the past year or so when the old server crashed and someone had to travel to where it is physically located to fix it, so I don't think the purchase was in vain. The sites are growing and would need a new server eventually.

I know that the handful of people who physically run the sites pay out of their own pockets to keep it going, and I also know that it's not a paltry sum that they pay regularly. So I don't regret donating, especially considering how much I've gotten out of these forums over the past several years. I've made connections with people I hope to be friends with for a long time, and I've had the opportunity to engage in discussions and get feedback from so many different people I wouldn't have encountered in my daily life. I don't think most people have that outlet, and it has definitely affected my personal growth in a positive way.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    So I don't regret donating, especially considering how much I've gotten out of these forums over the past several years. I've made connections with people I hope to be friends with for a long time, and I've had the opportunity to engage in discussions and get feedback from so many different people I wouldn't have encountered in my daily life. I don't think most people have that outlet, and it has definitely affected my personal growth in a positive way.
    I didn't donate but I agree with this 100%