User Tag List

First 1321222324 Last

Thread: Site Funds

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by YWIR View Post
    So what happened? I mean, give us deets.
    Okay, here we go. After this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Sorry for the delay- I've been working on getting some firm info about how much things will cost going forward, so I can give a more detailed update. Here are the facts:

The starting balance was $179. We've pulled in $470 in contributions this past week which makes our current forum account balance $649. That is enough to get the ball rolling on the upgrade. Haight's original estimate assumed volunteer effort to implement upgrades, and as it happens, we will be able to rely on that for some, but not all, of the upgrade effort. So we need to have a serious discussion with you, the membership, about how to proceed, since this is largely your community.

Here's the thing: the amount we've received this past week mostly came from a single donation. Overwhelmingly so, in fact. To the degree that other donations don't quite reach the three-digit mark. This is not sustainable, especially if we are contemplating an upgrade that will increase our costs going forward. We're committed to upgrading the site to be more secure/reliable, adding features, and keeping it ad-free but none of those things are possible at the current rate of donation. We really want bring the site into the 21st century and rely less on volunteer technical effort. The workload is now large enough that expecting that to continue to be the way things run is not fair to the volunteers who have kindly given time to this site over the years. Even if it were fair to ask for it, volunteer effort is, by definition, on the back burner since this site is nobody's first priority. Contracting professional technical services will decrease downtime, but it will cost more on a monthly basis and increase the annual operating budget of the site by several hundred bucks.

As I said before I'm working on getting the concrete numbers in place for a detailed accounting of the costs involved in our upgrade options. Please feel free to ask questions and if I know the answer to them, I will be glad to answer them. If I don't know the answer to them, I'll try to find out. But for right now, what we need to know is- are people committed enough to this forum to justify the increased expense of upgrading it? What do you guys think? And what do you want?
    You guys stepped up and donated an additional $460.77, bringing the account balance to $1,109.77. This is sufficient to do the upgrades and pay the increased monthly fees for the next few months. We are working on adding additional revenue streams to the site without being a drag on our loyal userbase, to make this amount go further. (We're also working on getting an anonymous donation method set up for those who have expressed an interest in that.)

I really don't know yet what kind of action those additional revenue streams will be able to add to the balance, so I'm not sure how long we have before we will need to fundraise again. So if anyone was thinking of donating but hasn't yet, there's totally still time! For those who have, THANK YOU. The site is here because you're awesome, not just for donating but for posting and making it a living community day after day.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

How much would be optimal to be pulling in this year? Are we looking at hundreds or thousands? I think if I knew, I would be quite willing to make another donation, as I have used the site for a number of years and not donated every year, but it would help me decide how much.

violaine

I'll def donate when there is a way to do so anon. (I have donated before but it wasn't under my real name and that option is closed to me now.)

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

I'm looking into Bitcoin as an anonymous donation method but I want to fully understand it before I roll it out. Just letting y'all know it's in the works.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

@fidelia, the optimal amount to pull in this year would be a hundred billion dollars. Seriously though, Haight estimated $1500 for a non-upgrade year, and since we are upgrading this year would be a bit more. According to my calculations (with the knowledge that some of them are estimations for things like labor fees that could change if the jobs take more or less labor than estimated) if we had about 2K we'd be in excellent shape for the next year. We have just over $1100 in the forum account now (and thanks to all who contributed to that). That's enough to do the upgrade and keep us running for a number of months, at least. More donations just mean longer before we have to do this again. (Though as I said before we are also looking at additional revenue streams to stretch out that time even more.)

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

I have massive attorney bills coming outta my ears but ill contribute after I get a handle on that.

Sorry I did offer hugs for the forum tho if they'll have them.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

I'll find out what the hug-to-bitcoin exchange rate is and let you know.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

Thanks Ivy, I think that's pretty doable.

FigerPuppet

Can you give some more information, such as:
    Bandwidth usage plotted over time, from 01-01-2011
    Details on your current hosting service - provider, fees, bandwidth limits.
    Details on your proposed upgrade.
    The monthly fee back in 2011 was $55. Maybe I missed the explanation, but what has made it double?

Making a business case out of it could convince more people to donate.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    I'm looking into Bitcoin as an anonymous donation method but I want to fully understand it before I roll it out. Just letting y'all know it's in the works.
    If I can get back to my account, I don't know what is the going rate... nevermind, wow $137 per. Last two times I check.. $50 and $110 per going rate.

Like I said, I might be able to offer bitcoin, gotta sift through some information... ever since I switched over to Linux.