User Tag List

First 111920212223 Last

Results 201 to 210 of 235

Thread: Site Funds

  1. #201
    Senior Member Nicodemus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    9,133

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rasofy View Post
    Why? I think I've considered a solution for most objections.

    The group doesn't have to be permanent, and we can work with an extra ammount to compensate the flake outs.
    Because, resting on the goodwill of loose volunteers, it is unstable, unreliable. It renders the 'investment' imbalance currently existing at least half-institutional, suggesting, probably, that whoever is part of that strange group of money people should be thanked or rewarded in some way. Then, if you have been a member of that group some time, you begin to wonder why someone else owns what you pay for. They could ask that now, too, but there is no institutional ambience to it if you do it at Haight's bidding.

    I could come up with more, but there is so little chance of your idea being adopted that I prefer to spare myself the effort.

  2. #202
    royal member Rasofy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Posts
    5,931

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    Because, resting on the goodwill of loose volunteers, it is unstable, unreliable. It renders the 'investment' imbalance currently existing at least half-institutional, suggesting, probably, that whoever is part of that strange group of money people should be thanked or rewarded in some way. Then, if you have been a member of that group some time, you begin to wonder why someone else owns what you pay for. They could ask that now, too, but there is no institutional ambience to it if you do it at Haight's bidding.
    A shift in the balance of power, interesting.

    Well, the group shouldn't be a permanent, or even public thing. Anyone interested could PM Ivy, who would then split the cost between the donators.

    Speaking for myself, I just wanna be somewhat sure that, if I donate a given amount, I'm not going to see any ads here for a while.
    -----------------

    A man builds. A parasite asks 'Where is my share?'
    A man creates. A parasite says, 'What will the neighbors think?'
    A man invents. A parasite says, 'Watch out, or you might tread on the toes of God... '


    -----------------

  3. #203
    Administrator highlander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni
    Posts
    17,906

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fidelia View Post
    I think there are probably at least 15 people here who would be willing to give $100/yr. I spend enough time here and have learned enough that I think it is worth at least that to be able to continue on, ad free.
    Exactly my thoughts. The time I invest here is worth a lot more than the small amount any donation would represent. I enjoy the community and the dialogue. I get a lot more value from this place than I do from DirecTV or Comcast (oh well maybe 16 and Pregnant or Jersey Shore are exceptions ). Hell, last time I filled up my car it was $50.

    Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

    Tri-type 639

  4. #204
    The Iron Giant
    Guest

    Default

    @Haight and @Ivy, have you considered doing a Kickstarter? You could put in stretch goals for different levels of upgrades. Just make sure you ask for about twice what you need in order to cover taxes. Any remainder could be saved toward the next upgrade.

  5. #205
    Strongly Ambivalent Ivy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6
    Posts
    24,060

    Default

    I've never considered doing Kickstarter but it's a good idea for next time. Is it possible to donate anonymously through Kickstarter or is it basically a PayPal funnel?

  6. #206
    i love skylights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne
    Posts
    7,835

    Default

    I like @Amargith's idea of a shop with type-related stuff, though I realize that'd require a huge amount of work. It's cute, though, and I would totally buy things.

    Like @Coriolis, I recoil from donating because of the anonymity. I'm sure I'll end up donating anyway, because I spend way too much time here and enjoy it too much to feel comfortable not doing so, but I wish there were a way to not have my name attached. I try to keep my online life... well, online.

    That said, thanks for the site and all the work that goes into it.

  7. #207
    The High Priestess Amargith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi
    Posts
    14,658

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by skylights View Post
    I like @Amargith's idea of a shop with type-related stuff, though I realize that'd require a huge amount of work. It's cute, though, and I would totally buy things.

    Like @Coriolis, I recoil from donating because of the anonymity. I'm sure I'll end up donating anyway, because I spend way too much time here and enjoy it too much to feel comfortable not doing so, but I wish there were a way to not have my name attached. I try to keep my online life... well, online.

    That said, thanks for the site and all the work that goes into it.
    Actually, there are concepts out there where you would not have to do any of the work or logistics. The oldest one is cafepress, i believe. Its been a while since i researched that world though so there are bound to be newer and better ones now.

    The basic idea is that we provide the audience/ clientele and design and they handle execution and logistics and customer service. Then you plug in their shop with your merchandise into the site and voila:

    Instant hasslefree for haight tshirts with slogans, inside jokes and logos tailored to this community on things like mugs, t shirts, you name it. You could even do a design thread or contest to outsource that part
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★





    "Harm none, do as ye will”

  8. #208
    IRL is not real Cimarron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Posts
    3,424

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fidelia View Post
    I think there are probably at least 15 people here who would be willing to give $100/yr. I spend enough time here and have learned enough that I think it is worth at least that to be able to continue on, ad free.
    I would, but I'd prefer, say, $10/month rather than yearly $100 lump payments.
    You can't spell "justice" without ISTJ.

  9. #209
    figsfiggyfigs
    Guest

    Default

    That's more than Netflix, and I get more out of Netflix.

  10. #210
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    11,925

    Default

    The offer still stands...

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 20
    Last Post: 04-28-2007, 06:40 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO