Thread: Site Funds

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    My bank cannot transfer funds anonymously. A number of banking rules changed over the past decade, to make it easier for authorities to track criminal/terrorist financial activity.

Also, I don't see how it is better for a charity to get monthly payments vs. a lump sum at the beginning of the year. They are certain of the money then, and may even earn a bit of interest over the months.
    Coz it is easier to budget that way, its a steadier income. People are more likely to forget to pay yearly, or more likely for that matter to cancel due to it being a big amount at once, making it harder to do projections on what money you'll have available in the future. Meanwhile, most people are totally fine with 2-10 dollars a month going to something they do support. It isn't as scary, and since it is monthly, it stays fresh in their mind. Plush, if they cancel, you don't lose as much money as if they suddenly decide not to renew that year, plus you have more time to figure something out when they unsubscribe.
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

"Harm none, do as ye will”

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    I take that option. Not only could it pay for all the current costs, it might even generate a small payment for the moderators (and you), hopefully based on performance, not rank alone.
    I don't want any money. For the people who do the heavy lifting on the technical side, I do think we should try and provide some kind of compensation. Bottom line though is nobody's here for the money and I seriously doubt that will ever be the case.

Quote Originally Posted by Amargith View Post
    Hell, if you want to grow membership, I'm willing to volunteer writing for a TypeC blog. TypeC already ranks pretty well for certain search terms in Google, with just the forum posts. It should not be too hard to expand on that. And the forum in and of itself offers a *wealth* of inspiration wrt writing blogposts. That in turn once more opens the door to other avenues, such as affiliate programs and the like- but that's perhaps going a bit far
    A lot of good ideas Armagith. Maybe we should split some of this off to another thread. I especially like your ideas about driving more traffic to the site.

Quote Originally Posted by Haight View Post
    Well as Ivy stated, the hosting will increase to around 100 a month, plus 100 for vent, and the license is about 200. So the annual cost, during non-upgrade or additional event years, is around 1,500.
    When I take a step back, if we're talking about an annual budget of $1500 spread across the entire membership for basic costs, this really shouldn't be too difficult. It's 10:40am eastern time and 140 members have visited since midnight. When I look at the list of people who have been on, the vast majority are long standing members. All of us have different financial situations. If you have a good job, is $50, $75 $100 that much to put in for a year? What does it cost to go out for the night for dinner? Even if you're a student, you might spend $20 on the cost of a pizza and a six pack of beer.

How much time do you spend here (or have you spent)? If you spend a lot of time, it must be worth something. It's like an entertainment expense.

So I say open your wallet (or purse or whatever) and put something in!

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    937 so/sx

vBulletin has a plugin that shows ads only to guests, not to members. What are the daily traffic numbers here? That would allow to me project revenue for this site based on using Adsense.
    "Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"When people see some things as beautiful,
    other things become ugly.
    When people see some things as good,
    other things become bad."
    Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

MBTI
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceBaby View Post
    vBulletin has a plugin that shows ads only to guests, not to members. What are the daily traffic numbers here? That would allow to me project revenue for this site based on using Adsense.
    Interesting. Thank you.
    "The only time I'm wrong is when I'm questioning myself."
    Haight

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    937 so/sx

A link to stats would be most useful - if you want any help with things.
    "Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    When I take a step back, if we're talking about an annual budget of $1500 spread across the entire membership for basic costs, this really shouldn't be too difficult. It's 10:40am eastern time and 140 members have visited since midnight. When I look at the list of people who have been on, the vast majority are long standing members. All of us have different financial situations. If you have a good job, is $50, $75 $100 that much to put in for a year? What does it cost to go out for the night for dinner? Even if you're a student, you might spend $20 on the cost of a pizza and a six pack of beer.

How much time do you spend here (or have you spent)? If you spend a lot of time, it must be worth something. It's like an entertainment expense.
    Do something entertaining and I'll consider it.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceBaby View Post
    A link to stats would be most useful - if you want any help with things.
    We have about 240 - 250 members visit per day. I'm guessing guests are 8x that though it's hard to tell how many are spambots.

Quote Originally Posted by Salomé View Post
    Do something entertaining and I'll consider it.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    Oh come on, do something that would make America and Howard Stern sit up and take notice!
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTp

My two cents (although I'm just visiting until INTPc gets unhacked - assuming that day will ever come - PS> if you want to get a feel for what ads do to a site, go visit INTPC - you can't see the ads (they seem to be invisible frames) but the load times still annoys the hell out of you).

Also, I assume INTPC's fate is tied to this one's.

I would not make the place subscription based. That will kill new membership I suspect.

A few ads would probably be tolerable (emphasis on few) - but do ads really pay that much? Or do you need to have dozens of them churning away?

It seems 1500/per annum would not be too hard to raise, but I get fundraising is a pain. Maybe more payment options than paypal? Like a PO box to accept cash/money orders? I offered to mail $20 once but whomever was doing the fundraising at the time didn't want to give an address (understandably so - but a cheap PO box would circumvent that).

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    937 so/sx

I run ~100 sites and generate revenue through them via a variety of means.

If we are having a serious convo here about how to make money to support this site gracefully, without turning to a membership site or the charity of others, send me a PM Haight. Discussing it in thread is too convoluted.
    Eleanor Roosevelt

Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching