User Tag List

First 71516171819 Last

Thread: Site Funds

MBTI
    INTj

Totally.

I hate raising money. Not quite as much as I hated paying the bills myself . . . but close. So I would rather just collect a check from some ad company instead. But then, this isn't about what I want. It is about what you guys want, which is why we are discussing it here on the main forum.

I guess the question is what do you guys want out of the site? More content in order to draw more members? A private, subscription-based forum? One with fancy ads so that no one has to pull money out of their pocket? No sure . . .
    "The only time I'm wrong is when I'm questioning myself."
    Haight

Riva

^

A new thread perhaps inquiring about it?

Like it just the way it is.

More content in order to draw more members?
    Don't know what this is.

Quote Originally Posted by Haight View Post
    One with fancy ads so that no one has to pull money out of their pocket?
    I take that option. Not only could it pay for all the current costs, it might even generate a small payment for the moderators (and you), hopefully based on performance, not rank alone.

MBTI
    INTj

It's a complicated option though.
    Haight

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Haight View Post
    Totally.

I hate raising money. Not quite as much as I hated paying the bills myself . . . but close. So I would rather just collect a check from some ad company instead. But then, this isn't about what I want. It is about what you guys want, which is why we are discussing it here on the main forum.

I guess the question is what do you guys want out of the site? More content in order to draw more members? A private, subscription-based forum? One with fancy ads so that no one has to pull money out of their pocket? No sure . . .

I think it warrants a thread on its own, with all the options, well researched, explained and laid out, and a poll. Personally, I wouldnt be against pimping out TypeC a bit more with like maybe a cute T-shirt shop with inside joke slogans on them, or a system where you can earn little perks through being a subscribed paying member, or even a system where you can be a free member, viewing adds, or a paying member without adds - provided that vbulletin is in fact able to make this stuff not a fucking eyesore in the process. I do realize that this kind of stuff does require an active and...large community to make it work and that it might change the culture we have going here in certain respects. But I think it could also create more of a unity and identity if done properly.

Hell, if you want to grow membership, I'm willing to volunteer writing for a TypeC blog. TypeC already ranks pretty well for certain search terms in Google, with just the forum posts. It should not be too hard to expand on that. And the forum in and of itself offers a *wealth* of inspiration wrt writing blogposts. That in turn once more opens the door to other avenues, such as affiliate programs and the like- but that's perhaps going a bit far
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

"Harm none, do as ye will”

I'm sure someone else can do the work so that you only have to sign somewhere and be done with it. Or you just leave the site to Ivy and become a guest yourself.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4 sp/so

I could live with the ads option. Not sure if I could afford a subscription, if you went that way. How much were you thinking, ballpark? Or what range? Also, like Riva, not sure what more content means.
    Johari / Nohari

“That we are capable only of being what we are remains our unforgivable sin.” ― Gene Wolfe

reminder to self: "That YOU that you are so proud of is a story woven together by your interpreter module to account for as much of your behavior as it can incorporate, and it denies or rationalizes the rest." "Who's in Charge? Free Will and the Science of the Brain" by Michael S. Gazzaniga

MBTI
    INTj

Well as Ivy stated, the hosting will increase to around 100 a month, plus 100 for vent, and the license is about 200. So the annual cost, during non-upgrade or additional event years, is around 1,500.
    Haight

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

My idea:

I think we could create a group of volunteers who don't want ads... Then, the group would commit to split the cost left between them, in equal shares... We could come up with a sort of deadline for spontaneous donations, and, once we get to the deadline, the cost left would be shared between the group.
    -----------------

A man builds. A parasite asks 'Where is my share?'
    A man creates. A parasite says, 'What will the neighbors think?'
    A man invents. A parasite says, 'Watch out, or you might tread on the toes of God... '

-----------------

Quote Originally Posted by Rasofy View Post
    My idea:

I think we could create a group of volunteers who don't want ads... Then, the group would commit to split the cost left between them, in equal shares... We could come up with a sort of deadline for spontaneous donations, and, once we get to the deadline, the cost left would be shared between the group.
    That is never going to work.