MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Haight View Post
    Did you call me a crazy stalker?
    Hadn't thought about that yet...can I get back to you on that?
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

"Harm none, do as ye will”

MBTI
    INTj

I will take that as a possible yes.
    "The only time I'm wrong is when I'm questioning myself."
    Haight

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    By the way, thank you to those of you who have donated. I don't want to minimize the import of any donation. You guys are awesome- we just need more of you!
    As I mentioned before, I am willing to donate provided I can do so anonymously. Paypal is not anonymous. Any other suggestions?
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    As I mentioned before, I am willing to donate provided I can do so anonymously. Paypal is not anonymous. Any other suggestions?
    create second account use fake name

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

I can't really think of a way to do that but I'm open to suggestions from others.

MBTI
    INTj

Money order.
    Haight

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Is there a way to donate anonymously?
    @Ivy - this question came up again from someone and I wanted to ask if you can explain how the donations are handled from a privacy standpoint. That is - who knows who donates what.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Sure thing. The donations go to a PayPal account that only I have access to. So, in short, I'm the only one who knows who donates what, at this point. I have shared general information about donations with the other admins who help manage the site finances. In addition, when you donate I can see your username and email address, and whatever name you have attached to your PayPal account, but no other info (unless you leave a comment in the comment field, and if you would prefer no other admins know you made a donation, that's a good place to put that information). The forum's bills are then paid from that same PayPal account- I'm not benefiting personally from the donations. Nor was Haight when he controlled the account.

I can personally assure you that personal info gained through PayPal (or any other way) will never be sold or used for any reason, as long as the donations come to me. But if you are opposed to PayPal or just don't want me to have your name/email, which is understandable, the only alternative I can think of is to mail a check or money order. However, I'm not sure where those should go- I'm a little iffy about using my personal address for that, which is why I understand the reluctance to use PayPal in the first place. I could set up a PO box but I can guarantee I will forget to check it after the first few times. (Know thyself.) Any other ideas?

MBTI
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Sorry for the delay- I've been working on getting some firm info about how much things will cost going forward, so I can give a more detailed update. Here are the facts:

The starting balance was $179. We've pulled in $470 in contributions this past week which makes our current forum account balance $649. That is enough to get the ball rolling on the upgrade. Haight's original estimate assumed volunteer effort to implement upgrades, and as it happens, we will be able to rely on that for some, but not all, of the upgrade effort. So we need to have a serious discussion with you, the membership, about how to proceed, since this is largely your community.

Here's the thing: the amount we've received this past week mostly came from a single donation. Overwhelmingly so, in fact. To the degree that other donations don't quite reach the three-digit mark. This is not sustainable, especially if we are contemplating an upgrade that will increase our costs going forward. We're committed to upgrading the site to be more secure/reliable, adding features, and keeping it ad-free but none of those things are possible at the current rate of donation. We really want bring the site into the 21st century and rely less on volunteer technical effort. The workload is now large enough that expecting that to continue to be the way things run is not fair to the volunteers who have kindly given time to this site over the years. Even if it were fair to ask for it, volunteer effort is, by definition, on the back burner since this site is nobody's first priority. Contracting professional technical services will decrease downtime, but it will cost more on a monthly basis and increase the annual operating budget of the site by several hundred bucks.

As I said before I'm working on getting the concrete numbers in place for a detailed accounting of the costs involved in our upgrade options. Please feel free to ask questions and if I know the answer to them, I will be glad to answer them. If I don't know the answer to them, I'll try to find out. But for right now, what we need to know is- are people committed enough to this forum to justify the increased expense of upgrading it? What do you guys think? And what do you want?
    I guess no one has an opinion. Maybe that means we need to change the process by which we raise money to pay for the site.
    Haight

Nobody wants advertising, but it is a pretty painless way to raise money.