"The only time I'm wrong is when I'm questioning myself."
    Haight

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Someone uses the same password for this site that he uses for his bank accounts?

Quote Originally Posted by Rasofy View Post
    Holy shit, 1k.

Oh, just bend over and take it like a man.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Haight View Post
    It's about that every year that there is an upgrade (about every 3 years). The other years it is 650+ and the 100 for Vent.
    Got it.

See, you telling us to cough up and we bitching about it is part of this annual ritual that we are here 'celebrating'.

And traditions are what keep family TypoC united, so it's important that we keep'em.

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Oh, just bend over and take it like a man.
    Oh, Jen, you and your metaphors.
    -----------------

A man builds. A parasite asks 'Where is my share?'
    A man creates. A parasite says, 'What will the neighbors think?'
    A man invents. A parasite says, 'Watch out, or you might tread on the toes of God... '

-----------------

MBTI
    yupp

wait. is the update gonna change the skin again?

MBTI
    INTj

No clue. I don't have that information yet.
    Haight

MBTI
    INTj

Ivy,

Can you post an accounting of how much has come in over the last week?
    Haight

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Sorry for the delay- I've been working on getting some firm info about how much things will cost going forward, so I can give a more detailed update. Here are the facts:

The starting balance was $179. We've pulled in $470 in contributions this past week which makes our current forum account balance $649. That is enough to get the ball rolling on the upgrade. Haight's original estimate assumed volunteer effort to implement upgrades, and as it happens, we will be able to rely on that for some, but not all, of the upgrade effort. So we need to have a serious discussion with you, the membership, about how to proceed, since this is largely your community.

Here's the thing: the amount we've received this past week mostly came from a single donation. Overwhelmingly so, in fact. To the degree that other donations don't quite reach the three-digit mark. This is not sustainable, especially if we are contemplating an upgrade that will increase our costs going forward. We're committed to upgrading the site to be more secure/reliable, adding features, and keeping it ad-free but none of those things are possible at the current rate of donation. We really want bring the site into the 21st century and rely less on volunteer technical effort. The workload is now large enough that expecting that to continue to be the way things run is not fair to the volunteers who have kindly given time to this site over the years. Even if it were fair to ask for it, volunteer effort is, by definition, on the back burner since this site is nobody's first priority. Contracting professional technical services will decrease downtime, but it will cost more on a monthly basis and increase the annual operating budget of the site by several hundred bucks.

As I said before I'm working on getting the concrete numbers in place for a detailed accounting of the costs involved in our upgrade options. Please feel free to ask questions and if I know the answer to them, I will be glad to answer them. If I don't know the answer to them, I'll try to find out. But for right now, what we need to know is- are people committed enough to this forum to justify the increased expense of upgrading it? What do you guys think? And what do you want?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

By the way, thank you to those of you who have donated. I don't want to minimize the import of any donation. You guys are awesome- we just need more of you!

RDF

I'll kick in $50. I just need to check out my dormant PayPal account and get it running again. Basically I figure that I pay subscriptions or membership fees to other websites that I use less than this one. I’m here at TypoC enough to justify a contribution to this site.

Other than that, I wouldn’t object to advertising on the site, if that’s what it takes to keep things rolling. Do whatever you have to do.