12 Last

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Default For Those Members with Accounts on Personality Nation

If you crosspost on Typology Central and Personality Nation and have identical/similar userids on both sites, please change your password ASAP -- preferably on both sites, not just this one.

At least some passwords were compromised-- so if they have access to your account there, they also have access to your account here if there is an identical/similar userid linking the two accounts.

Note: It's best to give your accounts separate passwords as well.

Thanks,
    Jennifer

(This message has been both listed as a forum-wide announcement as well as an actual thread in order to hit as many people as possible.)
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Thanks Jenn. Even though my two passwords were different, I still changed this one just in case they hacked into the TypeC database.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    If you crosspost on Typology Central and Personality Nation and have identical/similar userids on both sites, please change your password ASAP -- preferably on both sites, not just this one.

At least some passwords were compromised-- so if they have access to your account there, they also have access to your account here if there is an identical/similar userid linking the two accounts.

Thanks,
    Jennifer

(This message has been both listed as a forum-wide announcement as well as an actual thread in order to hit as many people as possible.)
    This is true. It appears that they got in towards the first few months of Personality Nation when we had lesser security and we're on an older vbulletin like TypoC is minus the security patch. We actually had one of our members blame me for stealing their password and making a mockery of their facebook; however, it was hard to pinpoint who was responsible since she admitted that she used the same password for everything.

I believe I was at fault (since I'm the owner), and it was not a coincidence now.

Person: Your vBulletin install was compromised prior to your upgrade to 4.1.3. The person has been sitting on this information for some time.
    Limit: I see. That may explain, why the password can't be reproduced
    We're speaking of my password, since I was pushing for these people to prove that they indeed took the database recently. The password is only unique to PerN and has been changed multiple times.

Anyways, TypoC should force all password changes because the forum was under the same security flaws and was compromised recently in the same methods (not necessarily by the same people) and notify ALL members, not just those who were on PerN to change their passwords.

Similarly, PerN should have forced password change when TypoC went down the first time.

I would also recommend compiling a list of the security tips for TypoC and procedures for security.

These are actually some good tips from the same person:
    1) Change all passwords routinely;
    2) Don't re-use passwords;
    3) Force immediate changes after every vB patch for all administrator and moderator accounts.
    I think the 3rd one is a VERY good tip.

Also
    http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showt...Security-Patch

Side note:
    It would be nice if we had someone in the community who traveled in the areas that the hackers do so that we can be proactive rather than destructive for the forum. I felt that these issues would come up when I first started PersonaltiyNation, and asked for help in these areas. I instead got, "You're safe for now."

SingSmileShine

Personality Cafe?

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by SingSmileShine View Post
    Personality Cafe?
    If your question is "what about PersCafe?" you should be good -- although considering we're all typology sites in the same "travel loop" and thus likely to be hit at the same time by hacks if it happens again, it would be best if you could keep your passwords different if you happen to have the same account name there as here.

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

SingSmileShine

Thank you so much! I appreciate it! (:

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post

Thanks,
    Jennifer

grrrrreat now I have to come with a password I won't remember. effing people
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    grrrrreat now I have to come with a password I won't remember. effing people
    Yes, but your browser should remember your password for you.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

MBTI
    yupp

true I reverted back to a password I used when I was 12
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    true I reverted back to a password I used when I was 12
    I'm jealous; when I was 12, we didn't even own a VCR, and we might not have yet owned a microwave.