User Tag List

First 5678917 Last

MBTI
    INFJ

I find it funny how Fe is often associated with a good grasp of social life and group interactions, and here I stand, completely bemused at all this talk of rep and rep points and popularity and whatever...

I stink at using the rep system. By that I mean that I'm absolutely NOT consistent, nor am I using it the way I think I "should" be using it. Examples:

* I mostly use the rep system for making one-liner comments, inside jokes, giving hugs, stuff like that. For me, it's about communicating with the poster, it's not about the posts themselves.

* When a post really interests me, I usually comment on it on the forum, and I most often DON'T rep it - it just doesn't occur to me to rep a post I'm replying to. And quite frankly, it would feel weird, like I'm over-doing it or something. This means that the majority of the posts that impress me intellectually do NOT get any rep from me - instead, they get an answer.

* I have no consistency whatsoever in my repping habits. I might get into a rep frenzy one day and rep posts just for being funny, and not rep any post the next day even if they are downright hilarious or mind-blowing.

So the rep system is completely wasted on me. I skew it, all the time.

Something bothers me though: considering my rep status, I guess I have a not completely negligeable rep power, if I understand well. That makes me nervous, very nervous. It's my problem, I understand that, but quite frankly I'd much prefer it if we had a standardised rep power, the same for everyone or something like that. (Can one know just how much rep power one has, by the way?)

In connection with the previous point: I do find it a tad ridiculous just how much rep I've accumulated in such a short time My post count is my own work so that's one thing. But my rep seems completely arbitrary to me. I don't even understand how I got there - I guess I just got repped often enough by the Powerful Reppers, even though I never expressly courted any of them.

And finally: I personally don't care one bit about the amount of rep a poster may or may not have. It doesn't "tell" me anything: maybe they are popular, maybe they are insightful, maybe... whatever. All a high rep means is that this poster gets repped often: it doesn't tell me WHY they get repped, which is what I'm actually interested in.

All of this to say: I like the rep system, but mainly the comment side of it. And I wish for a standardised rep power.

MBTI
    INFP

Standardised rep power FTW

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by ThatsWhatHeSaid View Post
    I should probably let this go, but your tone is really out of line. You cast the administration in such an unfavorable light, as if they are bullying you and others with decisions and changes without any regard to your feelings or reactions. The truth is, these decisions are being made on your behalf, to improve the quality of the site and the experience of posters, not to burden you or make your life miserable, as you've implied. I think you could stand to replace some of your resistance with appreciation and shake off some of this antagonism.
    I think questioning or voicing irritation with moderation decisions is an important right. The moderators may have good intentions, but you know what they say about good intentions, don't you?

Sometimes unfair and arbitrary changes are made... sometimes even in response to popular opinion, which isn't always reasonable. This has nothing to do with the moderators integrity, but is simply a result of their power, their vision, and in some cases the technical limitations of the software. But most of the time the changes are beneficial (which I've recently realized after having experienced more changes being implemented).

To suggest that a member "owes" appreciation for changes regardless of their feelings about them and their impact on them is not a sentiment that I would agree with, however. The members only owe them appreciation for keeping the site up and maintained. The moderators do not deserve appreciation for making changes that members disagree with, simply based on their intentions. However, a member does owe them appreciation when a change is made that they feel is beneficial.

MBTI
    INTj

For the record. . . I wouldn't support a change that erased the rep comments.

I rather like mine. It adds a sun splash to my day.

*goes to check if he's ever received any*
    "The only time I'm wrong is when I'm questioning myself."
    Haight

The Unwieldy Clawed One Falcarius's Avatar
    MBTI
    COOL
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    Dino None

Seriously, did the madmin get a Slush Puppie machine for Easter? They all seem to have developed a sphenopalatine ganglioneuralgia in the last few weeks.

In the last few weeks the management of this forum has dramatically gone down hill. First, a member of the management flipped out at a member. Then, they prohibit the editing post 48-hour limit, and insist in keeping it in place despite over 78% of the member voting 'there should not be a time limit'. And now they want to do a pointless revamping of the Reputation System.

Yes, Dr. Love.

I - Zhangy Bangy - am trying to make my point.

My point is you guys are starting to make G. W. Bush look like an libertarian; If fear is control, then control is power.
    Last edited by Falcarius; 03-22-2008 at 05:53 AM. Reason: My spelling sucks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thalassa View Post
    Oh our 3rd person reference to ourselves denotes nothing more than we realize we are epic characters on the forum.

Narcissism, plain and simple.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

You're just bitter that we're more popular than INTPc now. (Bua ha ha!)

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    .... I would appreciate it so that I could save them... some of them delight me! (especially a delightfully wicked one from Jennifer! )
    Somemod wicked this way comes!
    I don't want to lose my comments either, some were sweet... and some were, heh, very deliciously funny too.

Quote Originally Posted by athenian200 View Post
    I think questioning or voicing irritation with moderation decisions is an important right.
    True. No one's being gagged and bound here.

(And you can't really "demand" appreciation anyway. But its presence does help keep things running smoothly and tempers from flaring.)
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Talking

I am alarmed!

I will not be "a god among women" anymore.

Procrastinating
    MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by JAVO View Post
    I am alarmed!

I will not be "a god among women" anymore.
    Wait! *points finger* "women"... not (wo)men.. now I know that one was put there just to confuse and keep me in the dark... "paranoid" that I am.

MBTI
    INTP

It sounds like the majority of people don't pay much attention to the little green bars...most just use the system for commenting purposes. Is it really that big a deal that some people have more bars than others? Is this a system that needs to be "fair?" Why can't it just be a fun way to give people comments without derailing threads or writing a big, long PM about it?

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Tallulah View Post
    It sounds like the majority of people don't pay much attention to the little green bars...most just use the system for commenting purposes. Is it really that big a deal that some people have more bars than others? Is this a system that needs to be "fair?" Why can't it just be a fun way to give people comments without derailing threads or writing a big, long PM about it?
    Getting every feature up to optimum performance will reflect well upon the forum. It's little things like this that make me want to come here. Little things being just right.. I get great satisfaction from precision.