User Tag List

First 4567816 Last

MBTI
    INxJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILI

Quote Originally Posted by FMWarner View Post
    Well, that's one way to look at it. But when something is broken, you don't throw it out if you can fix it. And this can be fixed. I'm not naive enough to believe that equalizing rep power will eliminate the political aspect of rep. But it will cut down on it significantly, and it will make it impossible to have high rep just by making the right friends and, as I put it before, "kissing the ring". I think that does mean something.
    True, it can be fixed. But as long as the concept of "rep points" is the focal point, the perceived problem (not that I believe there truly is one) will also continue to exist.

Frankly, it is my opinion that rep points or comments do not mean anything in the long run. I have a sneaking suspicion that it's not really "rep points" which make the system, rather, the communication of appreciation via the rep button. When I said "remove it entirely", I was thinking of removing the rep points aspect, while retaining the easy private messaging aspect of it. That would still allow people to communicate their momentary appreciation of a post without the needless "residue" of rep points, IMO.
    Not really.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by elfinchilde View Post
    To the modmins:

change what you have to, for what you think will work well. You will do so, anyway. It is part of your job.
    I should probably let this go, but your tone is really out of line. You cast the administration in such an unfavorable light, as if they are bullying you and others with decisions and changes without any regard to your feelings or reactions. The truth is, these decisions are being made on your behalf, to improve the quality of the site and the experience of posters, not to burden you or make your life miserable, as you've implied. I think you could stand to replace some of your resistance with appreciation and shake off some of this antagonism. No one sees the admins and posters as adversarial, but posts and comments like the one above help foster a bitter atmosphere which just serves to detract from others' overall enjoyment. And for the record, I would have posted this even if I wasn't a lowly mod. (In fact, I hesitate because I'm a mod, but whatever, I'll say what I have to say either way and deal with the repercussions myself.)

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

Can't you just set the maximum level of rep anybody can give to 20? I've never been comfortable with the amount of rep I give out serioiusly- wielding thousands of points is a bit scary!

I never liked the points system and as a result I turned off my reputation boxes and just used it to basically give people encouragement, a thumbs up or send a quick little message! If forced into a system I didn't want I was going to play with my own rules!

I have given just about everyone on this board rep at one point or another- I don't just rep those who I'm associated with I give reps for good posts, thoughtful posts, funny posts and sad posts- it's a nice way to reach out to someone just for a second- sometimes a PM would be too much, but a rep is just enough

I never meant to skew things- I'd prefer not to have people insinuate that I'm not all that bright and only get rep from the same few people though Occasionally the rep on a post that I put quite a bit of work into is encouraging- because I rarely feel like anyone here probably reads them anyways (for instance- I doubt anyone will read or care about this post)

Go do what you will, but please- leave me out of it- I tried to take myself out already
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    INFP

Whatever's rep comments have brightened my day more than once, and so there is definitely something to be said for the reps that aren't given for intellectual posts.

Procrastinating
    MBTI
    INTJ

it's a nice way to reach out to someone just for a second

I hear ya Whatever and so so agree.

I opened my rep page one day to find one from someone I had had conflict with from the gitgo. I was amazed and delighted. Given the relationship, a PM just never would have happened.. a one-liner did it... we both healed and mended... just a wonderful experience that I will treasure... YES.. those one-liners are important.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

I have a question! Is there any way to retreive the rep comments from before January 19th that do not appear on my rep page? I would appreciate it so that I could save them... some of them delight me! (especially a delightfully wicked one from Jennifer! )
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

RDF

Just for the record, as a "serious" poster, here's how the rep system affects me:

I've never repped anyone, and I usually keep my rep system turned off. Out of sight, out of mind. I just can't be bothered. I prefer to focus on the message board posts; the back-channel reps and PMs strike me as a distraction.

But once in a while I peek inside the rep system at the comments, and I'm usually pleasantly surprised. I would say that my long, thoughtful, serious posts usually receive 1-2 comments/reps each. My shorter debating posts usually go unnoticed (unless the debate is particularly hot one, in which case nearly every post gets repped); and I almost never get repped for fun posts (I don't post many fun posts anyway, and everyone probably knows by now that I won't give out rep in return). But my long serious posts get repped pretty routinely, about 1-2 reps each. And across time they get repped by a broad variety of posters, including a number of the "fun" posters. (Whatever has repped me quite a few times, starting almost from the very first week the system was put in place.)

So as a "serious" poster, I don't feel particularly left out of the rep system. I'm pretty certain that I don't receive as much rep as others; but I probably get more rep than I deserve, since I never rep back.

But these comments are just for informational purposes as to how the rep system affects serious posters. Meanwhile I have no complaints or suggestions as to how to improve the system. I'm happy to go with whatever the madmins decide. I appreciate the madmins' willingness to tinker with the message board to make it run more smoothly, and I applaud them for their patience in putting up with sometimes endless debate and commentary from the peanut gallery (including me) every time they want to make a needed change.

`~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

I don't care about losing the points, but I care about losing the links and the comments, just last night I went through my old rep, and looked at the posts that they were referring to, I enjoyed it thoroughly and can forsee me wanting to do that again in the future.

Why can't we just loose the greenbars/points?
    `
    'Cause you can't handle me...

"A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

"That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is."

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChick View Post
    Why can't we just loose the greenbars/points?
    If the case is that the comments must go if the points go, my guess is that vBulletin is a system, and you can't just make up the rules as you go along.

heart on fire

The only thing good or useful about the rep system is the messages sent. I hope they don't delete those, but wouldn't be the end of the world either. I would turn the thing off if it weren't for getting personal comments from others.