User Tag List

First 3456715 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

No. Just for comparison, admins give out 20 points, regardless of other factors (postcount, amount of time since signing up, rep received from others, etc). We have members here who give out hundreds, even thousands, of rep points at a hit.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

MBTI
    type

proteanmix:

just to correct a misperception:

if you can see my rep points and comments, then you should be able to count that less than one third of them come from whatever and aelan.

but yes. i'm done with this. No sense banging one's head against a wall, for something that is in the end, trivial. As long as the friendships remain, as long as the intelligence remains. That is all.

To the modmins:

change what you have to, for what you think will work well. You will do so, anyway. It is part of your job.
    You gave me hyacinths first a year ago;
    They called me the hyacinth girl.
    Yet when we came back, late, from the Hyacinth garden,
    Your arms full, and your hair wet, I could not
    Speak, and my eyes failed, I was neither
    Living nor dead, and I knew nothing,
    Looking into the heart of light, the silence.

--T.S Eliot, The Wasteland

Quote Originally Posted by Seanan View Post
    I'm not enlightened... they don't have that now?
    No. The higher rep you have, the more each rep you give is worth. So we see an exponential rise in rep among friends who continually rep each other. It also means that those who desire high rep will cozy up to the people that have the most because they are capable of raising you up with just a few rep comments. To me, this kind of queers the system...if everyone had the same rep-giving power, there would be no need to curry favor with particular members to get high rep.

I think I just set a record for most times using the word "rep" in one post!
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by FMWarner View Post
    No. The higher rep you have, the more each rep you give is worth. So we see an exponential rise in rep among friends who continually rep each other. It also means that those who desire high rep will cozy up to the people that have the most because they are capable of raising you up with just a few rep comments. To me, this kind of queers the system...if everyone had the same rep-giving power, there would be no need to curry favor with particular members to get high rep.

I think I just set a record for most times using the word "rep" in one post!
    Dude, awesome, awesome post. That was really well said, I mean really well said. Your explanation and observation are spot on, sir. Spot on.

I love you.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by ThatsWhatHeSaid View Post
    Dude, awesome, awesome post. That was really well said, I mean really well said. Your explanation and observation are spot on, sir. Spot on.
    I love you.
    Oh, just rep him and be done with it.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INxJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILI

DO NOT BE ALARMED,

But who are you kidding, exactly? The rep system is not something that demands to be anything more than itself -- a convenient way of showing approval. Would making the rep system more "equitable" mean anything? Does the rep system mean anything else? No.
    You want to make the playing field more level? Remove it entirely.
    Not really.

MBTI
    type

^ amen to the above. (edit: i meant jennifer's post, not nadir's)

haha. cheers to all! it'll be fine. 'tis a new forum after all. teething problems are to be expected.

and seanan, it'll be ok. you just be you. elfie got to go to sleep now. it's 3 am.
    You gave me hyacinths first a year ago;
    They called me the hyacinth girl.
    Yet when we came back, late, from the Hyacinth garden,
    Your arms full, and your hair wet, I could not
    Speak, and my eyes failed, I was neither
    Living nor dead, and I knew nothing,
    Looking into the heart of light, the silence.

--T.S Eliot, The Wasteland

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by elfinchilde View Post
    The trouble is that people here perceive only "serious" posts as good posts. One forgets then that there is a purpose to light posts as well. And that intelligence may be the lightest thing of all.
    So what exactly SHOULD be considered a good post?

I have to admit, I'm often bothered that someone could make a light-hearted fluff post or simply goof around and receive tons of rep, while someone who is thoughtful and puts lots of time and energy into creating a post with enduring quality is ignored. I don't really care about my rep score, I've never really been that popular and it usually vanishes soon enough anyway, but I do care about the underlying concept of how rep is given.

Rep basically shows visitors what the board values -- and it also screens potential members. If we just want the place to be a social gathering and casual party atmosphere, then I suppose you're right. If we're interested in people actually contributing content beyond that, then we need to start rewarding people for investing time and energy to make provocative and thoughtful posts, more than what we award people for just "being around and likable."

Obviously I get goofy sometimes and like to have fun. I don't think that ever has been an issue -- the majority of people here are friendly and emotionally supportive of each other and would never say that we shouldn't be that.

But if the rep is just going to be a marker for social status and who is most popular (because they're fun, or emotionally outgoing, or whatever), well.... meh. I had enough of that when I was in school. No diss on the happy/fun/beautiful people, like I said earlier... but the rep scores do have (direct or indirect) influence on who joins and the direction and tone of the forum.

It's disconcerting when someone(s) has tens or hundreds of thousands of rep points, when other people have invested more time into presenting their ideas carefully and thoughtfully in a way that has more universal meaning.

Hopefully the said changes will help to rebalance the system.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Well, that's one way to look at it. But when something is broken, you don't throw it out if you can fix it. And this can be fixed. I'm not naive enough to believe that equalizing rep power will eliminate the political aspect of rep. But it will cut down on it significantly, and it will make it impossible to have high rep just by making the right friends and, as I put it before, "kissing the ring". I think that does mean something.

Quote Originally Posted by Nadir View Post
    DO NOT BE ALARMED,

But who are you kidding, exactly? The rep system is not something that demands to be anything more than itself -- a convenient way of showing approval. Would making the rep system more "equitable" mean anything? Does the rep system mean anything else? No.
    You want to make the playing field more level? Remove it entirely.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    INFP

Well, Jennifer, that is the thing about reputation. When and why it is given cannot be controlled. At a forum I was a member of in '03-'05, the members with the highest rep were the charismatic ones, and even those that were experts in the field of what the website was about didn't have as much, but there was an unspoken respect for those members, because in the end, they had much more power and sway than those charismatic ones with high reputation. People KNOW who the big dogs are, despite how much green they have. That's the beauty of the system. You can see through it.