User Tag List

First 2345614 Last

ish red no longer *sad* nightning's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj

Quote Originally Posted by Dana View Post
    If you take a screen shot of the full page and save it, or copy the text to a word document, then you can keep them.
    I just copy and pasted it into gmail... that way it keeps the links in place. Links matter to me as much/if not more than the comments itself. A little quick post search function useful for my lack of Si/Se

Quote Originally Posted by nemo View Post
    Ah, I see. So we're just concerned about the accumulation of little green boxes. They've become over-inflated and now everyone has lots of little green boxes, which makes it harder to decide who's the coolest and legitimately has the most little green boxes.

Well okay then.

I'm cool with whatever you guys want to do. I just like being able to shoot comments to people who made some post I liked without filling a thread full of "I agree/haha/etc." fluff.
    I would like to do away with the little green boxes and just have comments... but since the madmin have said numerous times it's not possible... how about setting to scale to uhhhh log base 10? Or natural log! Then to prevent high rep ppl from giving too much rep, root transform the rep giving power... that is "new rep amount" = ("old rep amount")^-1/2

MBTI
    INFP

When is this change going to happen? It feels like New Years.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    5x/o

I don't really see the purpose of increasing the value of the green boxes. Wouldn't an easier fix be giving everyone equal rep power? Or hell, regressive rep power. Therefore there is no aggressive "scratch my back, I'll scratch yours" sort of deal- the more rep you have the less power you have to give reps. The less burdened by social politics you are, the more likely you are to be honest/sparing with the reps. Of course that would probably be subject to abuse by trolls.

I don't really care either way. I just like being able to say "I totally agree" without clogging up the threads.

MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by ThatsWhatHeSaid View Post
    It's not that they're receiving too much reputation credit. A good post is a good post. If you have friends who like to rep you to replace PMs, whatever*. I don't have a problem with that either, even though I try to avoid that myself.

It's only too much in the sense that the amount of points a person receives is inflated. That, in turn, inflates the amount of rep-power they have. High reppers will rep their friends and have that rep returned, which leads to extremely high reps and rep power. The end result is the whole system becomes inflated, "tops out," and becomes compromised in the sense that it loses its meaning as a reputation-tracker.

*heh, no pun intended.
    The trouble is that people here perceive only "serious" posts as good posts. One forgets then that there is a purpose to light posts as well. And that intelligence may be the lightest thing of all.

Rep comments as a short form system, because one liners do not require PMs.

The second bolded is an assumption.

But yea, k. Whatever works for the forum. As long as i get to keep the comments i pretty much don't care about the rest. People work in different ways: no one view is ever right.

edit: limit the number of points the high scorers can rep then. when they hit a certain figure, cap what they can rep, cap what they can receive. that should help ease the modmins' problems a little.

remember that everyone started on the same ground. reset to ground zero, but the mathematics will remain.
    You gave me hyacinths first a year ago;
    They called me the hyacinth girl.
    Yet when we came back, late, from the Hyacinth garden,
    Your arms full, and your hair wet, I could not
    Speak, and my eyes failed, I was neither
    Living nor dead, and I knew nothing,
    Looking into the heart of light, the silence.

--T.S Eliot, The Wasteland

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7

I think you need to just change the amount it takes to acheive a rank in the rep system. Obviously it reaches the peak at 2000, well I know of some people who have almost 30,000 so why dont you just change the amount it takes to reach certain levels and/or add more. Like have it reach the top level at a million that would make it interesting...
    SDMF

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by elfinchilde View Post
    The trouble is that people here perceive only "serious" posts as good posts. One forgets then that there is a purpose to light posts as well. And that intelligence may be the lightest thing of all. Rep comments as a short form system, because one liners do not require PMs.
    That might be true of "people," but I purposefully stated that the problem isn't with fluffy repping, but with inflated rep-power.

The second bolded is an assumption.
    In the beginning stages of the rep system, this is exactly what happened, so no, not really. In fact, you just said it yourself in whatever's blog:

Quote Originally Posted by elfinchilde View Post
    people like whatever have high scores, precisely because they always give a lot.
    *shrug*

edit: limit the number of points the high scorers can rep then. when they hit a certain figure, cap what they can rep, cap what they can receive. that should help ease the modmins' problems a little.
    Not a bad idea.

remember that everyone started on the same ground. reset to ground zero, but the mathematics will remain.
    Quite the opposite: the mathematics are what will undergo change to tighten the rep system. Although rep will be doled out for the same things, to the same posters, with the same frequency (which was your point, I take it), the impact of those credits will be refined.

Procrastinating
    MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Hexis View Post
    I think you need to just change the amount it takes to acheive a rank in the rep system. Obviously it reaches the peak at 2000, well I know of some people who have almost 30,000 so why dont you just change the amount it takes to reach certain levels and/or add more. Like have it reach the top level at a million that would make it interesting...
    The OP mentioned "categories".. tho I've been called "paranoid" by admin, (namecalling seems to be a trend) I will venture that means more for some and less for others... a way to better control the site content... makes little sense considering other possibilities. IE: those categories seen as "social" by admin will not received the same weight as the more serious ones.... less weight = "Fluff"

Just for my two cents, I think the most important thing any redo of the rep system could do is to give all members equal rep-giving power. Then we can avoid members who want high rep "kissing the ring".
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    INFP

I like how the new blogs don't allow for reputation (or post count) to be given inside them. I think it does much to preserve the integrity of the blogs if people know they won't be rewarded for their posts and comments.

Procrastinating
    MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by FMWarner View Post
    Just for my two cents, I think the most important thing any redo of the rep system could do is to give all members equal rep-giving power. Then we can avoid members who want high rep "kissing the ring".
    I'm not enlightened... they don't have that now?