User Tag List

First 89101112 Last

MBTI
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by nightning View Post
    Yes please!

If the little green bars must stay... set it so people give 0 rep... that way it'll just be a box of nothing that sits around.
    Hrm. I think this may be possible. Ideally, I'd like to get rid of the green bars because the categories are meaningless (which is why I thought it would be fun to revamp them. . . but I understand that people don't want that), but unfortunately, I think that they will have to stay.

Or go into the mod itself and change the code... *shrugs*
    Yikes! I can't do this. Regardless, I'll poke around (or get Haight to poke around) tomorrow and see what the possibilities are.

Either way, no one should worry about losing rep comments because it's not going to happen.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by nottaprettygal View Post
    Hrm. I think this may be possible. Ideally, I'd like to get rid of the green bars because the categories are meaningless (which is why I thought it would be fun to revamp them. . . but I understand that people don't want that), but unfortunately, I think that they will have to stay.
    After the green bars get to a certain level, why not restart them as a different color, or why not start them green, but as rep grows, it will gradually fade into yellow, then to red, then to maroon or something like that? Kinda like the system at the Gamespot.com forums, although its rank system is based on post count.

~dangerous curves ahead~
    MBTI
    ENTP

Glad to know I'll get to keep my rep comments. They mean a lot. In a sense, it is a signpost of whom bothered enough/actually cared. This place is a pure forum for discussion to some, but to others, it is also a place where friendships are made. And the comments are from friends who know where you were coming from, simply. Only half of everyone's story, if not less, is on the board.

We'd raised this earlier in the first rep debate, that for those like me who leave the box blacked out, we're using the system to reduce the fluff comments, simply, it is an easy way, as Nemo said, to concur, hug/pat someone on the back for something, without derailing the thread.

Earlier, a suggestion came out based on Maverick's experiment - he could leave gray boxes, without points, but with rep comments. If that could be a permanent option, it could help reduce much of this debate? Green, gray, red? If the madmins could find a way to do that, it'd probably cut the "inflated repping" etc.

Some other points:

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    So what exactly SHOULD be considered a good post?

I have to admit, I'm often bothered that someone could make a light-hearted fluff post or simply goof around and receive tons of rep, while someone who is thoughtful and puts lots of time and energy into creating a post with enduring quality is ignored.
    Because a thoughtful post, is responded to on the thread, for further debate/discussion?

A post that is usually repped, tends to be something folks agree with/sympathize with, and because of that, most folks self-monitor and use a rep or PM to respond privately, vs on the forum? To avoid that backlash against derailment most likely...

Rep basically shows visitors what the board values -- and it also screens potential members. If we just want the place to be a social gathering and casual party atmosphere, then I suppose you're right. If we're interested in people actually contributing content beyond that, then we need to start rewarding people for investing time and energy to make provocative and thoughtful posts, more than what we award people for just "being around and likable."
    Just a thought:
    rep shows who is popular, not necessarily what is valued. What is valued is in the threads, the discussions. I'd guess most new members who signed up, did so because of thread content, and not because of whom had the most green boxes? Also, given everyone maxed out greenies, they'd not be able to tell who was valued, except that everyone is valued?

But if the rep is just going to be a marker for social status and who is most popular (because they're fun, or emotionally outgoing, or whatever), well.... meh. I had enough of that when I was in school. No diss on the happy/fun/beautiful people, like I said earlier... but the rep scores do have (direct or indirect) influence on who joins and the direction and tone of the forum.
    then turn it off? Or if the new system comes up, please leave some of us that option to have our reps turned off individually too? It was for this reason I'd been against the rep system earlier, that sense that some would be unhappy and insecure. It stinks to be unpopular, but it also stinks to be constantly discussed for being who you are too...

It's disconcerting when someone(s) has tens or hundreds of thousands of rep points, when other people have invested more time into presenting their ideas carefully and thoughtfully in a way that has more universal meaning.

Hopefully the said changes will help to rebalance the system.
    Their response was hopefully in the thread, and in further discussion? Surely we're not posting for rep, but to be appreciated, which could come in the form of the further responses in the thread vs a rep isn't it...

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    Can't you just set the maximum level of rep anybody can give to 20? I've never been comfortable with the amount of rep I give out serioiusly- wielding thousands of points is a bit scary!

I never liked the points system and as a result I turned off my reputation boxes and just used it to basically give people encouragement, a thumbs up or send a quick little message! If forced into a system I didn't want I was going to play with my own rules!

I have given just about everyone on this board rep at one point or another- I don't just rep those who I'm associated with I give reps for good posts, thoughtful posts, funny posts and sad posts- it's a nice way to reach out to someone just for a second- sometimes a PM would be too much, but a rep is just enough

I never meant to skew things- I'd prefer not to have people insinuate that I'm not all that bright and only get rep from the same few people though Occasionally the rep on a post that I put quite a bit of work into is encouraging- because I rarely feel like anyone here probably reads them anyways (for instance- I doubt anyone will read or care about this post)

Go do what you will, but please- leave me out of it- I tried to take myself out already
    Yes... All the changes can be for good or ill, but as long as the forum stays together, that is ok.

Just leave me the option to individually black out the system, as far as possible, and leave me my rep comments, and the ability to make those instant comments, that will be good enough?

And thank you all for your work. It is seldom said, but much appreciated for herding us bunch of wildcats.

MBTI
    INTj

Hey guys,

I'm going to test some changes in the rep system now, so DON'T PANIC!! I'll change everything back when I'm done.
    "The only time I'm wrong is when I'm questioning myself."
    Haight

RDF

:horor: :horor:

MBTI
    INTj

Here is what I have discovered:

It is very simple to turn the rep system into a comment system from this point on. Points would no longer be given, and everyone's reputation power would be zero. All past comments would remain in tact.

However, it is quite a bit harder to make this retroactive (and to delete the green bars and past points). It involves going into individuals' settings and manually changing their rep level to zero. This would delete former points, and preserve all comments.

What do you all think?
    "The only time I'm wrong is when I'm questioning myself."
    Haight

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Quote Originally Posted by Haight View Post
    Here is what I have discovered:

It is very simple to turn the rep system into a comment system from this point on. Points would no longer be given, and everyone's reputation power would be zero. All past comments would remain in tact.

However, it is quite a bit harder to make this retroactive (and to delete the green bars and past points). It involves going into individuals' settings and manually changing their rep level to zero. This would delete former points, and preserve all comments.

What do you all think?
    Wouldn't that be a lot of work to go to?
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

Procrastinating
    MBTI
    INTJ

I think you should do what's easiest for you.

MBTI
    INTj

This is what it will look like if all of the points values are set to zero.

(And I still have my glorious comments. . . but like Haight said, it's not easy to do.)

<-------------

Procrastinating
    MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by nottaprettygal View Post
    This is what it will look like if all of the points values are set to zero.

(And I still have my glorious comments. . . but like Haight said, it's not easy to do.)

<-------------
    there's a big blank space on the quote... maybe I'm not seeing something? anyway, isn't that the way those with them turned off looks now?