User Tag List

First 67891018 Last

MBTI
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Well, in general, your ability to give points is limited as NPG describes. You have a very limited pool.

Someone could "waste" them if they are feeling vengeful, but in general, since they have such little capital to spend and earn capital only by long-term participation, people will generally spend them on people they appreciate.

(Is that right?)
    Well, I believe that the controls are set so that you can rate 100 posts per day. That can be altered though, if we want the quality of the ratings to improve or if we want people to be more selective about the posts they are rating.

A few bad ratings by an ornery member will not cancel out lots of positive ones. If you're a member who contributes positively to the forum, you have nothing to worry about.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by nottaprettygal View Post
    Well, I believe that the controls are set so that you can rate 100 posts per day. That can be altered though, if we want the quality of the ratings to improve or if we want people to be more selective about the posts they are rating.

A few bad ratings by an ornery member will not cancel out lots of positive ones. If you're a member who contributes positively to the forum, you have nothing to worry about.
    You're probably right, but since I have such a horrible fear of being criticized, I'm sure it will limit what I dare say.

Of course, that's no one's problem but my own.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

If you're a member who contributes positively to the forum, you have nothing to worry about.
    :eek: HOLY FUDGE MONKEYS!!! I'VE BEEN OUTMANOEUVRED!!!
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

MBTI
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by INTJMom View Post
    You're probably right, but since I have such a horrible fear of being criticized, I'm sure it will limit what I dare say.

Of course, that's no one's problem but my own.
    Well, I hope that the system doesn't start censoring people. That's not a good thing. A bad rating is just one person's opinion. Lots of bad ratings. . . well then hopefully a person will decide to change something about their posts.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Well, I believe that the controls are set so that you can rate 100 posts per day.
    Oh. That's far more points than I thought people had. I guess I misunderstood the description(s) so far.

I don't know. I tend to find Amazon.com ratings useless in terms of evaluating the value of a particular back, except in the grossest sense. (Basically, if it has a lot of points, I can tell the book is getting attention, and if there are many many good reviews, I can assume the book is generally popular... but I cannot place a lot of specific credibility in the ratings because of how the system is easily and commonly abused.)

I do agree that MBTIc is smaller and more "niche," so the people are more of a community here -- and I think that will help a rating system to work better than one open to the general populace. Still, though, I do not want to see people refraining from posting their mind just because they get caught up in a ratings race or fear of reprisal.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

So does this mean I shouldn't use this new system to help brighten someone's day for example?

I mean if it's going to be used to rate posts then I'll be more careful but if it's to rate posters then hell they can have all of them if it makes a bad day better.

I know, I know, I'm showing my F

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    So does this mean I shouldn't use this new system to help brighten someone's day for example?
    Oh, stop being such a pollyana!

Brightening people's day... what on earth are we doing here?
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Oh, stop being such a pollyana!

Brightening people's day... what on earth are we doing here?
    A multi whatnow?
    Who's parroting Anna? Who the hell is Anna?
    What?
    It was a semi serious question.
    Besides I'm going to do it anyway now Just you see if I don't.

~dangerous curves ahead~
    MBTI
    ENTP

ahh. Thanks madmins. It's much clearer now. Perhaps consider putting this on the FAQ or something. I'm not sure many know what this is all about.

*lol* I hope this was not the reason behind t07's rabid bot-posting.

MBTI
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post

I mean if it's going to be used to rate posts then I'll be more careful but if it's to rate posters then hell they can have all of them if it makes a bad day better.
    It's to rate posts, not posters. I should have been more clear about that.

And I believe we've enlisted targo as the official "Fluffy Clouds and Pink Bunnies" reputation giver, so the job is taken.