First 202829303132 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Jen View Post
    I am not going to dissect and comment on each post in reference to the rep thing, but I will say this. I think it's pretty great that Haight even bothers to keep this site going. It's been useful for me and I have met some very cool people on here. I have mentioned too many times now why I'm here and if certain members want to bicker about a system that means nothing at the end of the day then so be it. I will continue to post with or without a rep system and maintain my friendships online and off.

Haight, admins and mods, Happy Holiday's to you and yours and thanks for keeping MBTI around. It would truly suck if I tried to log on and the site was gone.

...That's all...

That's a +1 from me.
    (Not sure Haight actually runs it all but the man is the devilish organiser of everything. He's such a nice J )
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    Nonpareil ...
    I think it means "unique"
    non = none
    pareil = the same

Well, I was close.
    "Having no equal; peerless"

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by INTJMom View Post
    non = none
    pareil = the same

Well, I was close.

http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/35212-post17.html

This signature left intentionally blank.

Really.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Aha. Gotcha. Thanks peeps.
    I was going with "without parallel" but I guess it's all the same.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by INTJMom View Post
    non = none
    pareil = the same

Well, I was close.
    Serendipity strikes again: I had no idea what her username meant... and sometime in the last few days, I ran across the word in the foreword of a book I was reading and figured it out.

Go figure.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Serendipity strikes again: I had no idea what her username meant... and sometime in the last few days, I ran across the word in the foreword of a book I was reading and figured it out.

Go figure.
    Context is a beautiful thing

~*taaa raaa raaa boom*~ targobelle's Avatar
    MBTI
    enfp

yeah what Jen said is right.....
    ~t ...in need of hugs please...
    Jung Test Results
    Extroverted (E) 63.16% Intuitive (N) 60.53% Feeling (F) 84.38% Perceiving (P) 87.1% ~Your type is: ENFP

MBTI
    INTJ

I don't have time to really reply but I just wanted to respond to Xander.

I do agree with you, the whole rep thing has been blown out of proportion. The fact that we can see how many or little points we have has caused us to react either positively or negatively. The net I see is that we are having feelings hurt. I don't like hearing people wanting to leave because of the reactions to this system. Blame were directed at some and others (even ones with tons of positive rep points) felt that they were being singled out.

Yes, I do agree, there has been a positive attitude as the result of this rep system as well. I will not deny that it has helped some people feel welcomed and has resulted in some camaraderie. The rep system has allowed for a quick way for us to pat others on the back. I admit I like this and I don't have a problem with it.

I do not like that, nomatter how good they system may be, the fact that there are still people comtemplating leaving because of various reasons. I like the people who post here. Compared to real life, I find most people here very nice, very smart and all special and unique in there own ways. I respect that they are here for their own reasons and I like hearing their stories. I learn from all this and it's a great place. I don't want anyone to leave!

I think the best solution for everyone, so there is no pressure from having those little green dots under your name, is for us not to have the point system. Let us pat each other on the back, let us let other know we like that post - all of us seem to like that. But why rate us on it? Do we really need points? The system does have it's benefits but I think the points has caused a net negative reaction.

Just a thought, I'm not sure if it's possible to have the rep system without actually scoring people...

Thanks
    Sorry for any typos, spelling or grammer errors but I'm a bit preoccupied planning my wedding.
    Or if you want to read more about me and help me gain more insight to your world (I do need more experiences in life), feel free to skim through my blog.

filling some space UnitOfPopulation's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Nonpareil View Post
    I do not like that, nomatter how good they system may be, the fact that there are still people comtemplating leaving because of various reasons. I like the people who post here. Compared to real life, I find most people here very nice, very smart and all special and unique in there own ways. I respect that they are here for their own reasons and I like hearing their stories. I learn from all this and it's a great place. I don't want anyone to leave!

I think the best solution for everyone, so there is no pressure from having those little green dots under your name, is for us not to have the point system. Let us pat each other on the back, let us let other know we like that post - all of us seem to like that. But why rate us on it? Do we really need points? The system does have it's benefits but I think the points has caused a net negative reaction.

Just a thought, I'm not sure if it's possible to have the rep system without actually scoring people...
    I agree to you a lot. I've also given the thought that the recent development of the forum might just be coincidental with the introduction of the rep system. Still, there's the problems; even if someone would find the rep system to be a scape-goat for more serious issues, there's still the issues to solve.

I originally thought that the thread rate function would be good.. but I most saw it used in a punitive way, like dismissing some unwanted idea with two stars. Many of the five star threads seem good for a reason; some are, arguably, having five stars without much reason. The problem being that disinterested persons don't rate, only those with an agenda. I want to dismiss this, I want to promote that.

The kind of rating functions I've liked on forums have been such that they will hide the thumbs-down posts from the view, requiring the user to click on it to see it. They have been effective in pruning the message tree from unwanted spammy and completely irrelevant posts. Yet, I don't think it's at all suitable for us here. We have perhaps less than 0.1% of posts that are totally unneeded and serve no purpose but to inflate the message base.

Could we increase the number of posts per page? Then we could see the short messages with less trouble, and we could follow the conversations better, even if there were some slight derails.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Santtu View Post
    Could we increase the number of posts per page? Then we could see the short messages with less trouble, and we could follow the conversations better, even if there were some slight derails.
    You can do this already, by going to your User CP, clicking on Edit Options, and setting the "Number of Posts to Show Per Page" to whatever you like. Your choices are 5, 10, 20, 30, 40, 50, 100, and 200.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii