User Tag List

First 13212223242533 Last

MBTI
    yupp

I think this system has helped me come out of my shell. before this I thought everyone secretly hated me, and was against me on this forum. So I never said or did anything (except while drinking), then I checked my user CP and saw I had gotten some points so, then I posted more. I post mostly in fluff threads because, I don't think I'm knowledgeable enough to be useful in other threads, though I do read most of them.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    I think this system has helped me come out of my shell. before this I thought everyone secretly hated me, and was against me on this forum.
    Awww. Who deserves the Funniest INFP of the Year Award? No, really, you've made me laugh several times. Keep it up, biker sista.

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by Mempy View Post
    Awww. Who deserves the Funniest INFP of the Year Award? No, really, you've made me laugh several times. Keep it up, biker sista.
    and now I'm going to have a big ego. Oh well..... I'm glad I made you laugh.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by proteanmix View Post
    I don't know WTF you just said, but I'm having a hard time trying to find a decent thread to post in over the last week or so.
    Most of the posts on a board come from the top % posters. For example, the top 10 posters make up 25% of the posts on the board (but they only make up a "theoretical" 1% or so of the population). They drive the forum.

At first I believed that the reputation system didn't influence behaviour, even subconciously. I now think what happened was that it did adjust the top part of the pyramid - the forum drivers changed hands. In short, a small influence caused a dramatic change through the exaggerated influence the top posters have (for example, as one of the top posters, I have stopped posting and have had the will to find things to post on decreased) while a different kind of poster replaced the shortage. Neither is good or bad, but it was the rate of change that made it significant.

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by ptgatsby View Post
    Most of the posts on a board come from the top % posters. For example, the top 10 posters make up 25% of the posts on the board (but they only make up a "theoretical" 1% or so of the population). They drive the forum.

At first I believed that the reputation system didn't influence behaviour, even subconciously. I now think what happened was that it did adjust the top part of the pyramid - the forum drivers changed hands. In short, a small influence caused a dramatic change through the exaggerated influence the top posters have (for example, as one of the top posters, I have stopped posting and have had the will to find things to post on decreased) while a different kind of poster replaced the shortage. Neither is good or bad, but it was the rate of change that made it significant.

I been sitting back and watching this reputation/posting issue unfold. I wonder how many people who have "good" reps would feel differently if they had "bad" reps or no reps. I personally just checked mine and I have one comment on one post and that's fine. I post to express myself not to win a popularity contest. I think when I check out the "fluff" threads and because I usually look at them last, I find most of the witty, obvious comments already taken. Why restate. You're funny...I appreciate...moving on.

The one comment I received is prob the best one I could have gotten because it was about words and I LOVE WORDS..especially the one I chose to post so WM whoever you are...Thanks...I love it too!

ps: Does this rep thingie mean that we DON'T have to have an "MBTIcentral Most" like INTPcentral did. I thought we got enough of that in High School.

pss: I like " "!!

psss: If I come into the lunchroom and try to sit at the popular kids table..will they let me since I'm still not as good as most.
    for my life is slowed up by thought and the need to understand what I am living.

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by Haight View Post
    The "dark side" is going to be The Graveyard if you guys don't stop derailing serious threads.
    moi?

MBTI
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by aelan View Post
    Honestly, on the rep thing, I was upset to see the debate degenerate into a questioning of motives and agendas. It is boiling down to a difference based on principles and perspectives, if you wish. I'd hate to see the conflicts being taken personally - this will create a split in the board in the worst case.
    The worst case won't happen.

This is a community of individuals from varying and contrasting backgrounds. Any idea or concept will create questions and debates. That's fine. And some folks will take things personally. However, and like I've stated before, the Madministration is not going to avoid change and innovation out of the fear of some members taking it the wrong way.

As with all things. . . you can't please all the people all the time.

(And I don't take anything personally. So don't worry about me.)

Quote Originally Posted by PinkPiranha View Post
    If we're considered to be "fluffy" just because people like to talk to us, then that's wrong.

And enraging.

And WRONG.
    I don't know what you're talking about.

All I'm saying is that this is not a fluffy thread (I can't believe I just wrote that), it's a serious thread. So let's not derail this important debate.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    I don't want to offend anyone by being fluffy! I've just been in the best mood lately and have exhuberently desired to share it with everyone!
    I have no problem with that. But keep the personal conversations to threads of the same theme.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    There's nothing wrong with some fluff! After all, we have a Fluff Zone, which wouldn't exist if we didn't like fluff just a little bit. I don't think Haight was saying we should never be fluffy- just to try and keep the fluff from taking over non-fluffy threads.
    Exactly!

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    I'm genuinely sorry- I get a bit carried away at times- I'll try to reign it in better in the future. (great, now I feel terrible!)
    Sorry. Thank you. And no problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Mempy View Post
    I'm with Whatever on this. I've just been in a REALLY good mood lately and wanted to share it with everyone! It's been very fun. To be honest, I didn't even realize I was posting my fluff in this thread. I thought for a long time I was posting it in the Secrets thread.
    No problem.

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    moi?

:steam:
    "The only time I'm wrong is when I'm questioning myself."
    Haight

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by PinkPiranha View Post
    If we're considered to be "fluffy" just because people like to talk to us, then that's wrong.
    And enraging.
    And WRONG.
    It is not a matter of content. (Because I enjoy much of the banter.)

It is a matter of where the content has been posted.

Casual and/or joke posts have been springing up throughout serious threads across the forums.

If people could please try to keep the more serious threads "on topic" a little better, that would help. Joking around a bit is fine, we all enjoy that from time to time, but I'm not sure anyone has been clear on this point before and things have gotten a little out of control.

Some posters are more casual; some are more serious. We have to honor both extremes and everyone in-between. I don't consider it "wrong" at all for forum members to simply monitor their own behavior a bit better and think about the forum as a whole. If we don't, the forum will lose out because valuable contributing members of either extreme will leave.

(As I said, I did the same sort of thing at INTPc a year ago and finally was asked to stop, and I did, because it made sense. So it's not like I don't understand.)

Sorry if I am logging in late on the issue and it has already been resolved ... (still reading!)

Quote Originally Posted by proteanmix View Post
    I don't know WTF [Gatsby] just said but...
    :yim_rolling_on_the_
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

I just knew that all those feather dusters were a mistake

I'm kinda with aelan and Jennifer on this. There are many people who can do banter and land serious points too, some cant' and some miss the point in all the banter. You can't suit everyone all of the time.

I do see an increase in banter due to the rep system but I don't see it as necessarily bad and personally I've felt a lot more comfy here than on any other forum since it's implementation simply because people can do the whole "well done there" without having to post or even declare who they are. That is all good if you ask me.

Course it would be nice to keep things separate but then the line gets murky as to what goes where and things go awry. I guess you can't have freedom of expression and good organisation in the same board without hard work.

Oh and counter to the whole "fluffies make my serious threads poo", perhaps if you take more time to interpret then you'll find more serious stuff to go on. Of course contra to that it that if fluffies spent a little more thought on a post then it wouldn't irritate as much.

A compromise?
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    :yim_rolling_on_the_
    Yah, I get that a lot.