Enneagram

Are you volunteering?
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

Striving for balance Little Linguist's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNFP

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    I've been thinking lately that we use a lot of specialized jargon in both our MBTI-related and our casual conversations here. Folks who come to check us out may be overwhelmed with all the Fe and the Ti and the Ni stuff. We'd like to make it a little easier for people to join our conversations without needing a graduate seminar to learn the vocabulary.

We would like to create an FAQ (separate from the existing FAQ and therefore needing a new name, I suppose) with sort of a crash course in stuff like the 16 types, the 4 dichotomies, and the cognitive functions. But we don't want it to be impenetrable-- short, sweet, and to the point. And, preferably, funny.

So this is where you guys come in: let's brainstorm some very short but informative and funny sound bytes to put together in a sticky thread or a something else. That way, when folks seem baffled by all the Fe Fi Fo Fumming that goes on here, we can point them toward our quick-and-dirty crash course.
    Cool idea - when are you getting started????
    If you are interested in language, words, linguistics, or foreign languages, check out my blog and read, post, and/or share.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Are you volunteering?
    Perhaps, I'll talk to Mr Cabinet to figure out what you have in mind.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

Default Jargon and Blind Belief

I've been thinking lately that we use a lot of specialized jargon in both our MBTI-related and our casual conversations here. Folks who come to check us out may be overwhelmed with all the Fe and the Ti and the Ni stuff. We'd like to make it a little easier for people to join our conversations without needing a graduate seminar to learn the vocabulary.

We would like to create an FAQ (separate from the existing FAQ and therefore needing a new name, I suppose) with sort of a crash course in stuff like the 16 types, the 4 dichotomies, and the cognitive functions. But we don't want it to be impenetrable-- short, sweet, and to the point. And, preferably, funny.

So this is where you guys come in: let's brainstorm some very short but informative and funny sound bytes to put together in a sticky thread or a something else. That way, when folks seem baffled by all the Fe Fi Fo Fumming that goes on here, we can point them toward our quick-and-dirty crash course.
    All cults have their own jargon - and the New Age cult of MBTI is no exception.

And the purpose of jargon is to limit participation to members of the cult.

In fact the purpose of jargon is to keep non-members out.

First you need to believe in the cult before you can join - so jargon acts as a gateway.

Jargon also acts to inhibit clear thinking.

And it is important for the cult to inhibit clear thinking so that belief can occur. - in particular, so that blind belief can occur.

In fact jargon is a confidence trick - just as the jargon of astrology is a confidence trick.

So the wrong question is, "How can we teach our jargon to new members?".

And the better question is, "Can we have any confidence in MBTI?".

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    You just need to know:

ENTP = insane.

It's a get out of jail free card!
    Leading a workshop yesterday for teachers, each type group was supposed to draw a symbol of their teaching style. The ENTPs brought the house down with their box and random arrows "Thinking outside the box...in no particular direction."

INTPs were equally clever...just put up their symbol and told everyone else, "Figure it out yourself" and sat down...

Yeah the F types had hearts and hands all over the place
    edcoaching

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by edcoaching View Post
    Leading a workshop yesterday for teachers, each type group was supposed to draw a symbol of their teaching style. The ENTPs brought the house down with their box and random arrows "Thinking outside the box...in no particular direction."

INTPs were equally clever...just put up their symbol and told everyone else, "Figure it out yourself" and sat down...

Yeah the F types had hearts and hands all over the place
    This is so INTP!
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Quote Originally Posted by edcoaching View Post
    What was the symbol?

I'd go with a giant ?

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    What was the symbol?

I'd go with a giant ?
    Picture two posts, almost parallel with a few inches in between, with hands, only the tips of fingers visible (no other body parts) working to pry them apart...

Group before that, INTPs had a little fire burning to represent idea generation. ENTPs had the infinity symbol over a stick figure indicating the thought process.
    edcoaching

MBTI
    TiSe

Did this ever get accomplished Ivy?

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Sahara View Post
    Here here lol I for one will be bookmarking the page.

I see Fi, I want to rhyme, Fe, Fi, Fo oh phooey
    funny...it makes me think fe fi fo fun for me...molloko song haha
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison