User Tag List

First 89101112 Last

Thread: Resigning

MBTI
    XNXP

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy View Post
    That's good news.
    +1
    "The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them that they are being attacked and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country."
    Reichsfuhrer Herman Goering at the Nuremburg trials.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    Wow, can you make sure and tell me next time? I never noticed (absolutely true, I'm not being inflammatory, I *REALLY* didn't notice).
    Haha. No kidding.

I take special amusement when people greatly overestimate their impact on something as trivial as an online forum.

Makes me wonder to what extent they exaggerate their importance in real life.

MBTI
    INTj

There's a war? How did I miss this?

Is this like dudes with masks throwing rocks at tanks or something slightly more substantial?
    "The only time I'm wrong is when I'm questioning myself."
    Haight

MBTI
    ISTx

So he left or not? I've never seen someone create a "I'm leaving" thread and then successfully leave. Ever.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Leaving != resigning

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    Leaving != resigning
    Well, in practice, leaving often does equal resigning. It would be more accurate to say resigning does not equal leaving. That would address Beat's error.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

no clinkz 'til brooklyn Nocapszy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

In mathematics, both sides of the equal sign are identical in value.
    Don't mistake American semantics for mathematical semantics.

What you mean is leaving requires resignation (quitting) where resigning doesn't require departure.

Require != "="

Dig?
    we fukin won boys

MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Nocap View Post
    In mathematics, both sides of the equal sign are identical in value.
    Don't mistake American semantics for mathematical semantics.

What you mean is leaving requires resignation (quitting) where resigning doesn't require departure.

Require != "="

Dig?
    If the equal sign conveys a mutual identity, then that statement would still be wrong, since as I said, while resigning != leaving, leaving does = resiging.... Of course, if we are really going to waste our time with this much detail, it would be more accurate to say that leaving isn't so much equal to resigning as it is equal to or greater than (or less than, depending on how you're phrasing it).

Of course, if you said you were absolutely sure the value of leaving is greater or lesser than resigning, then it wouldn't be equal at all I suppose, but that would bring me to another point, which is, trying to apply this sort of mathematical logic to common language is stupid. I could probably always say X != Y. Even if X and Y were synonyms. This is because no two words convey the exact same value. Language works a bit different from equations, generally.

It would seem to make more sense if MacGuffin was just using those symbols to still convey something semantic, which is what I assumed. I am willing to bet that Mac was not thinking of all of these things when he made that post.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

no clinkz 'til brooklyn Nocapszy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    If the equal sign conveys a mutual identity, then that statement would still be wrong, since as I said, while resigning != leaving, leaving does = resiging
    Still wrong.
    Leaving contains resigning. It does not equal it. Resigning can take place separate of leaving. Ergo, they're not equal. Like I said, don't mistake American semantics with that of mathematics.

Of course, if we are really going to waste our time with this much detail, it would be more accurate to say that leaving isn't so much equal to resigning as it is equal to or greater than (or less than, depending on how you're phrasing it).
    That's what I said...

Of course, if you said you were absolutely sure the value of leaving is greater or lesser than resigning, then it wouldn't be equal at all I suppose
    Again... what I said.
    but that would bring me to another point, which is, trying to apply this sort of mathematical logic to common language is stupid.
    Agree. Welcome to the bigger picture.
    I could probably always say X != Y. Even if X and Y were synonyms.
    Also it's not a good idea to use C(++, #?) when you don't know what it is, and I think Guff doesn't know what it is.
    This is because no two words convey the exact same value. Language works a bit different from equations, generally.

It would seem to make more sense if MacGuffin was just using those symbols to still convey something semantic
    Actually Guff lucked out in that he's right: They're not equal. I can't see denying this.
    which is what I assumed. I am willing to bet that Mac was not thinking of all of these things when he made that post.
    He didn't need to. He knew they weren't equal.
    we fukin won boys

MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Still wrong.
    Leaving contains resigning. It does not equal it. Resigning can take place separate of leaving. Ergo, they're not equal. Like I said, don't mistake American semantics with that of mathematics.
    I wonder if you start responding before reading the whole post.
    There wasn't much of a point in writing that in light of some of the other things you responded to.

Agree. Welcome to the bigger picture.
    I was already there. Hence my not analyzing the statement in terms of math.

Also it's not a good idea to use C(++, #?) when you don't know what it is, and I think Guff doesn't know what it is.
    Sort of along the lines of what I was saying to begin withm though not exactly.

Actually Guff lucked out in that he's right: They're not equal. I can't see denying this.

Onr of the points I made, which you either missed or voluntarily ignored, is that if we are following those guidelines, then the statement is useless in that it is tautalogical.

He didn't need to. He knew they weren't equal.
    And as I said... Saying they aren't equally in a mathematical sense is useless, and saying they aren't equal semantically wouldn't have been correct or actually addressed what Beat said.

I only thought MacGuffin's apparent error was worth of one line of correction, not really this conversation. Now I'm bored with this, and I'm right, regardless of what warped crap you come with from here, so good day.
    Go to sleep, iguana.