User Tag List

First 7891011 Last

I think this discussion has gone far afield and has become kind of moot. The point is that unless you're a sociopath, it's not difficult to curtail your vitriol and avoid being wildly offensive. It's just not a priority for some.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

For those interested, the technical debate about the difference between public and private discourse has been moved here.

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    ...it's not difficult to curtail your vitriol...
    There's nothing wrong with curtailing your vitriol... but do it in private, and wash your hands afterward.

"Within reason" and "common sense" are important things to understand. Understand them, people. Let's make this world, and forum, a better place!
    "When a resolute young fellow steps up the great bully, the world, and takes him boldly by the beard, he is often surprised to find that it comes off in his hand, and that it was only tied on to scare away the timid adventurers." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    So you'll see one or two bannings - maybe one or two of you will get smacked upside the head by us.
    I should probably have a few more warnings for calling someone's idea stupid.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    Mine
    Enneagram
    1w9

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    That seems like it would be a fair enough comment to me, providing it is demonstrably stupid, and you are prepared to do the demonstrating by analysing it as much as is necessary to prove your assertion

Though it might indeed be more polite to merely imply the stupidity by way of the demonstration, there is sometimes no harm in making things explicit for those with shorter attention spans...

Gratuitous name-calling with no more intention than to be inflamatory or upset someone seems like an entirely different matter to me. This is a purely destructive activity; the exploration of ideas, however, is usually constructive, and I don't see how calling a spade a spade in that context is harmful, providing it is done within reason. Sometimes it can help to clarify matters.
    Look into my avatar. Look deep into my avatar...

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    Someone wants a smack...
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

What happened to Malovian?
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    What happened to Malovian?
    Alas.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿ digesthisickness's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

what's the difference between a spammer and a troll?
    ✻ღϠ₡ღ✻
    (¯`✻´¯)
    `*.¸.*'ღϠ₡ღஇڿڰۣ
    •.¸¸. Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒჱܓ. இڿڰۣ.¸¸.இڿڰۣ´¯`·.─♥

Cerebral Artery
    http://www.facebook.com/CerebralArtery