User Tag List

First 45678 Last

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    We aren't talking about stopping reasonable behaviour, and insults in jest should usually be OK. It's when it is outright hostile, or rude that it becomes a problem.
    I can live with that. though I don't think anyone on here has ever pissed me off enough to outright insult them.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    INXP

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    I can live with that. though I don't think anyone on here has ever pissed me off enough to outright insult them.
    Exactly, you are doing fine !

It's a small core minority who need to smarted up, as the OP says.

MBTI
    INXP

Bumped.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

well...how bout ya bump it by answering my question? i'm just curious....thanks.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Quote Originally Posted by erinavery View Post
    you know...i think i've realized that if someone posts something so completely ridiculous and offensive for no reason...i just automatically assume they're joking because...who really thinks that way...i mean i guess i think the absurd is funny. is that just a "me" thing? do most people just take it seriously and get offended?
    A couple do, but most people realize when someone is joking.

MBTI
    INXP

you know...i think i've realized that if someone posts something so completely ridiculous and offensive for no reason...i just automatically assume they're joking because...who really thinks that way...i mean i guess i think the absurd is funny. is that just a "me" thing? do most people just take it seriously and get offended?

edit: like someone saying they hate pandas and think they should be used as food...i mean i love pandas...but that's so absurd...it's funny...is it offensive to others?
    Ok, sure.

The standard applied is whether a regular joe (or josephine) would find it unacceptable / hostile. So... if someone takes offense who is oversensitive (by using this standard) this is probably tough luck for them. If someone ignores something really offensive to most (because it's a cliquey minority) this might still be a problem post as it suggests to others that such behaviour is acceptable (unless it's obviously a joke.. maybe)

The key question is probably : "would average Joe find the post unacceptably hostile, offensive or disruptive?"

I doubt joking about eating pandas would fit that bill.. because in this example you'd probably be more sensitive than regular josephines about pandas.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

i see...actually just looked at intpc and saw that he got banned after 7 posts...apparently he's not so great at forums....i get it, thanks.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

MBTI
    INXP

i see...actually just looked at intpc and saw that he got banned after 7 posts...apparently he's not so great at forums....i get it, thanks.
    Yes, and indeed we gave him (as we do others) a clean slate here even if they had a bad record at INTPC. Secondly, as the OP says, it is not just about the one or two who got banned.. there are others out there who need to heed the warning.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

did those people get a pm...or is this the notification?
    -Jim Morrison

MBTI
    IS??
    Socionics
    InFj

Quote Originally Posted by Haight View Post
    Before making each and every post, ask yourself the following question:

Would I be embarrassed if my mom read this post?*
    Or, would a Poster be likely to say this to the other forum member if they were standing right in front of each other?...and were subject to immediate visceral reaction from them?
    Patriotism is the last refuge to which a scoundrel clings...Steal a little and they throw you in jail, steal a lot and they make you a king