User Tag List

First 89101112 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

a spammer is advertising or trying to sell something (or get people to visit their website for whatever reason) and a troll is just trying to get attention or get people riled up.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿ digesthisickness's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    a spammer is advertising or trying to sell something (or get people to visit their website for whatever reason) and a troll is just trying to get attention or get people riled up.
    ohhh, i see. thank you, ivy.
    ✻ღϠ₡ღ✻
    (¯`✻´¯)
    `*.¸.*'ღϠ₡ღஇڿڰۣ
    •.¸¸. Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒჱܓ. இڿڰۣ.¸¸.இڿڰۣ´¯`·.─♥

Cerebral Artery
    http://www.facebook.com/CerebralArtery

MBTI
    INTP

How about a trommer (or spamoll)? "Come visit my new website PuppyKickingIsFun.com"

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

What I wonder is how to distinguish a troll and a flamer.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    INFP

For me a troll is someone who wants to stay in control of the conversation at all costs. Even to the extent of misrepresenting themselves and their ideas. Just to keep people's reactions to them coming.

A flamer seems more angry and to be dealing with self-esteem issues by trying to put other people down.

That's my personal distinction between them. A flamer could also be considered a troll but not necessarily the opposite.
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

MBTI
    INXP

Trolling has lots of subtle types. Trolling can simply be dropping remarks designed to provoke argument. Like going to a Harry Potter forum and saying that Harry Potter sucks! It's surprising how often this causes a whole storm of crap.

MBTI
    INFP

Yeah. Isn't it funny to watch people rush to take the bait? I have to laugh or I'd cry! Feel like I'm in a theater watching a horror movie and whispering to my partner, "Oh no! They shouldn't open that door! No. No! You dummy! Don't. open. the. door."

Another type of trolling I sometimes see is when someone starts a thread about something which has recently been a subject of controversy on the forum. That sometimes gets quite a bit of mileage.

I don't know why some folks need to have a lot of turmoil around them to be content. Have my guesses. But some people express a preference for it.

In small doses it's a good example of human folly and is funny. In large doses it's toxic.
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

MBTI
    INXP

Quote Originally Posted by Anja View Post
    Yeah. Isn't it funny to watch people rush to take the bait? I have to laugh or I'd cry! Feel like I'm in a theater watching a horror movie and whispering to my partner, "Oh no! They shouldn't open that door! No. No! You dummy! Don't. open. the. door."

Another type of trolling I sometimes see is when someone starts a thread about something which has recently been a subject of controversy on the forum. That sometimes gets quite a bit of mileage.

I don't know why some folks need to have a lot of turmoil around them to be content. Have my guesses. But some people express a preference for it.

In small doses it's a good example of human folly and is funny. In large doses it's toxic.
    I think it's about being the centre of attention. They want the turmoil because it makes them noticed. It's a temporary moment of fame. This probably happens on active forums because it can be quite hard to build up a reputation and this is a quick, but negative, shortcut.

Also, some people suck.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    I think it's about being the centre of attention. They want the turmoil because it makes them noticed. It's a temporary moment of fame. This probably happens on active forums because it can be quite hard to build up a reputation and this is a quick, but negative, shortcut.

Also, some people suck.
    Can we assume that anyone who has that inclination sucks?
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    INXP

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    Can we assume that anyone who has that inclination sucks?
    Well.. i think sometimes people will drop controversy/trolling bombs because they seek attention.. and it's a blip as a need for attention. They may therefore just suck briefly.

That can be contrasted from some people who just... suck.