User Tag List

First 56789 Last

Quote Originally Posted by mlittrell View Post
    i like the name change a lot
    Yeah, context means a lot.

Largely because it is invisible, but it affects everything within the context.

And a name change changes the context.

So we change our context from MBTIc to Typology Central.

It is very significant for me as I regard MBTI to be not a personality test but a world wide cult.

And in my opinion this encourages the worst in us.

But if we are interested in the knowledge of types (typology), it opens our minds to skeptical inquiry.

But skeptical inquiry is only the beginning. The next step is empathy and creativity. And the step after that is presence.

However the price of changing our context is that we move out of the security of an authoritarian cult into spontaneity.

And there will be winners an losers.

The losers will be those who need an authoritarian cult to order their chaotic lives.

And the winners will be those who love empathy, creativity, presence and spontaneity.

And the danger comes from the authoritarians who are quite unable to distinguish between chaos and creativity. And so with the best intentions in the world, the authoritarians will try and kill off any show at all of creativity.

The authoritarians, with only our good at heart, will mistakenly try and impose order on creativity. Neither knowing nor seeing that creativity contains its own order.

In a way authoritarians are a bit like children - you've gotta keep their hands off anything that might be harmful.

And just like children, it is a mistake to directly oppose authoritarians. Simply because authoritarians don't understand what you are doing.

So the only thing to do is to change their context - just as we have done here.

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by ragashree View Post
    At least they're CONSISTENTLY paranoid about the potential abuse of the hallowed system of which they're apparantly the divinely appointed guardians :rolleyes2:

Has anyone (including Falcarius his feathery sef) ever typed Falcarius as ISTP?
    I wouldn't type teh Dino as ISTP.

MBTI
    INXP

If anyone has custom spam filters in their email, like me, don't forget to change them to reflect the fact that the email notification of PMs etc now comes from a different sender name.

MBTI
    TiSe

Damn, it took me a week to notice. I am glad that I did not start that embarassing thread of why the name change. Actually...... I LIKE!!

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Sounds military to me - like Centacom.
    Oh my god guys, we've been compromised. Well, it looks like the gig is up everyone. Victor knows about our MBTI world domination plans.

I think it's time to execute order #128774-029

go go go

First we will control California, then the rest of the usa, then the ENTIRE WORLD HAHAHAAHHAHA

You will be first against the wall sir!

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Haight View Post
    Well peeps, it seems that we've landed on the radar of the folks that own the "MBTI" trademark. Hence, we've received a cease and desist letter.

The good news is that we've arrived. The bad news is that we don't have a legal fund, so we're changing the name of the forum to "TypologyCentral.com."

The good news is that this will help us move above being just an MBTI type theory site to one that is all inclusive, which means we can and will be reaching out to a broader membership. The bad news is that some of those other theories are developed by people that don't know enough about psychology.
    I'm just now learning about this issue from this old 2008 thread. All I can say is, I
    hope we've moved beyond the idea that non-MBTI theorists don't know enough
    about psychology, because one can readily see that their ideas and knowledge about psychology encompass far more than psychology. They have gone beyond the
    "-ology" and plumbed the depths of human personality itself. Whereas the original MBTI theorists back in 1940 provided the world with a simplistic formula that possesses far more "popular truth" than objective truth.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by mal12345 View Post
    I'm just now learning about this issue from this old 2008 thread. All I can say is, I hope we've moved beyond the idea that non-MBTI theorists don't know enough about psychology, because one can readily see that their ideas and knowledge about psychology encompass far more than psychology.
    Well, you're kind of assuming something about Haight's post he didn't necessarily mean. Even giving him the benefit of a doubt, there's lots of "crap psychology/personality" theories out there. (Which kind of represents the Internet in general -- some diamonds amid the rough). I think that's all he is referring to.

Let's face it:
    - The strength of the Internet is that anyone can share their ideas.
    - The weakness of the Internet is that anyone can share their ideas.

They have gone beyond the "-ology" and plumbed the depths of human personality itself. Whereas the original MBTI theorists back in 1940 provided the world with a simplistic formula that possesses far more "popular truth" than objective truth.
    Who specifically has plumbed the depths of personality itself, IYO?

I finally got my hands on the 1998 manual, 3rd edition of the book used by the test givers, and it's pretty impressive in terms of statistical survey and analysis. Of course, they credit all their work to what came before, and it's still built on Myers' vision. Battle over a copyrighted term, however legitimate or not you feel it to be, doesn't really change what has been achieved by a lot of people over many years, in terms of testing and refinement. Layman's versions of any field of study are always sloppier than the original.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Well, you're kind of assuming something about Haight's post he didn't necessarily mean. Even giving him the benefit of a doubt, there's lots of "crap psychology/personality" theories out there. (Which kind of represents the Internet in general -- some diamonds amid the rough). I think that's all he is referring to.

Let's face it:
    - The strength of the Internet is that anyone can share their ideas.
    - The weakness of the Internet is that anyone can share their ideas.

Who specifically has plumbed the depths of personality itself, IYO?

I finally got my hands on the 1998 manual, 3rd edition of the book used by the test givers, and it's pretty impressive in terms of statistical survey and analysis. Of course, they credit all their work to what came before, and it's still built on Myers' vision. Battle over a copyrighted term, however legitimate or not you feel it to be, doesn't really change what has been achieved by a lot of people over many years, in terms of testing and refinement. Layman's versions of any field of study are always sloppier than the original.
    You could just as easily ask Haight who he was referring to as lacking in psychological knowledge. But for some reason nobody dared question that statement back in 2008.

Typologists such as Don Riso and Sandra Seich simply amaze me. I don't have to agree with everything they write to say that they have an innate knack for plumbing those depths I referred to. Perhaps Myers and Briggs did too, there isn't that much information on them as people. But the MBTI has the advantage over newer theories simply by achieving popularity first. Part of this popularity is due to the simplicity of their system. And I credit them for bringing into the light some of Carl Jung's more obscure theorizing, although they had to build on a simplistic variation on Jung's theory. And so Jung's theory was sacrificed to popularizing Jung.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Continued:
    John Oldham is certainly no second-rater. I saw his work being bashed over on "that other forum." One of the criticisms there stated that his online test can't be taken seriously because it contained some typoes. But for what it's worth, the version of the test in his book has none of those typoes. Not that it matters in terms of a test's validity. As a proud owner of his book on the personality self-portrait, I can personally testify that Oldham's work is definitely worth looking into.

So while Haight's criticism may have been directed at the really bad theories (whatever they are), the way he stated his point seemed designed to cover any non-MBTI. There is just no other way to read it since we have no way of sorting the good from the bad.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

At least you aren't all pedantic about the issue.