• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] But It's Sooo Easy!

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
How many of you get irritated when you hear something like this? I know I do. I know that different people have different talents and skill sets but when I hear someone saying something is easy that I happen to find difficult, I feel like my own competency or intelligence is being insulted. I already know my shortcomings, I don't like having them rubbed in.

I want to know if other NTs get annoyed by this, as NTs are the temperament that tends to be most concerned with their level of competency or intelligence. Non-NTs are also welcome to respond.

thisGuy

MBTI Type
entp
Nope.

Unless its specifically aimed to make me look bad. Then I try to reason with the person for about 5 seconds before slamming to the ground - all verbal of course.

crayons

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w5
Doesn't really bother me, I catch myself being one of those people that say this though... When I'm the one being told its soo easy I ask for clarification and then use this knowledge to counter how it's not easy.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
How many of you get irritated when you hear something like this? I know I do. I know that different people have different talents and skill sets but when I hear someone saying something is easy that I happen to find difficult, I feel like my own competency or intelligence is being insulted. I already know my shortcomings, I don't like having them rubbed in.

I want to know if other NTs get annoyed by this, as NTs are the temperament that tends to be most concerned with their level of competency or intelligence. Non-NTs are also welcome to respond.

It's annoying. I like to throw it back at people who love to say it when it comes to something like an academic or technical issue they can't understand. But....it's SO easy, right? Yeah they shut up then.

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

That type of comment blows up in people's faces more often than you would ever imagine.
Personally, I love it when people say:

"How hard could it be?"

OR

"Oh, what's the worst that could happen?"

OR

"This will only take a few minutes."

Then hours upon hours of toil and humilation pass, and you are able to sneer from a safe distance "Boy, you sure as hell make that look easy. Good job!" :newwink:

It's one thing to be very competent and capable.
It's quite another to think that your knowledge and experience apply universally to all things, whether you have done them or not.
Such is the commonplace folly of those with poor task estimation skills, or at worst, a bloated ego and a surplus of unwarranted confidence.

:solidarity:

-Alex

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
If they are my superiors I usually find it insulting. Our tasks are different, and superiors tend to think their job is harder than anyone else's :dry:.
However, if we're on the same level, I'm probably gonna attempt to make it easy for myself too. It's like ''he finds it easy. why can't I make it easy for myself?''. And in the end, it works as a stimulus for me. I set my standards higher.

Xenon

(blankpages)
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
I think that's a poor way to help anyone who's finding something difficult, NT or not. I remember reading it in a parenting book when I was a kid (yeah, I liked to read parenting advice books as a kid...I found it fascinating). They recommended against telling a kid that say, their math homework is a snap. Parents sometimes do this to reassure their kids, but as a result they're likely to get easily frustrated if they don't find it so easy.

I don't think people mean to be condescending a lot of the time...often they're talking about something that does come very easy to them, and it's difficult for them to fathom someone struggling with it. They think if they could just show you what a breeze it is, you'd feel better and everything would be fine. Worst experience I had with this was an ENFP career adviser who gave me the "You MUST network!" talk. She was trying to be encouraging, but I got the impression that she's just naturally good at engaging people and assumed if she could just correct my misconceptions about what networking "really is", I'd realize how easy it was too. It really made me feel terrible. I had left her office intending to try what she'd suggested, but was never able to bring myself to do it.

Last edited:

mujigay

Intergalactic Badass
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Frustrates the @#!*% out of me. I always have to feel competent, so when I'm not, I get irrationally angry at people who are and feel the need to be condescending over it. It's like, "Screw you. You're cocky now, but if we were doing anything else I swear to God you'd be the one asking me for help."

celesul

MBTI Type
ENTP
It's very annoying. In high school, I was the smart one, so either I was the one being a pain and saying that, or I shot them down easily. Now, at college, I've often struggled with things, and I find it very annoying when someone refers to a class as trivial. Eh, here, almost everyone eventually finds their limit. One of my friends and I were discussing when people will hit their limit. Umm... the assumption here is that people will. In a way, this is nice, because all of the overconfident people get a bit of a kicking. On the other hand, so do the people who could use more confidence.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
It's very annoying. In high school, I was the smart one, so either I was the one being a pain and saying that, or I shot them down easily. Now, at college, I've often struggled with things, and I find it very annoying when someone refers to a class as trivial. Eh, here, almost everyone eventually finds their limit. One of my friends and I were discussing when people will hit their limit. Umm... the assumption here is that people will. In a way, this is nice, because all of the overconfident people get a bit of a kicking. On the other hand, so do the people who could use more confidence.

Can you clarify what you mean by finding your limit. Are you suggesting that most people will find things that they just won't be able to intellectually grasp? Is the limit based on one's intellectual limit or do you see it as more psychological? That is, a person could grasp it if they really wanted to but it would take a good deal of effort and the student just claims he or she can't do it?

funkadelik

good hair
MBTI Type
lmao
I don't think I can think of a situation where that wouldn't be annoying to anyone. And it's funny, because despite that, it is my experience that it's a very quick mentality people adopt when they are feeling confident about their knowledge of something.

Humility goes a long way in this world.

Tamske

Writing...
MBTI Type
ENTP
I don't really notice when someone else thinks it's easy. I'm only annoyed if people think/imply that a success is due to some innate ability, that I just had good luck or something and didn't work for it.
Eg. I got the good grade because I'm smart, because I'm a woman and the university favours them, because I was lucky with the questions. Never mind that I studied hard for it... When I work hard for something, I'm a bit pissed off if people brush it off as me being lucky or talented.

Wrathgor

Frustrates the @#!*% out of me. I always have to feel competent, so when I'm not, I get irrationally angry at people who are and feel the need to be condescending over it. It's like, "Screw you. You're cocky now, but if we were doing anything else I swear to God you'd be the one asking me for help."
This.

Little_Sticks

I've always been aware of the fact that I have no talents in really anything. The only reason I get good at anything is by putting in a lot of hard work. If I hear someone say something is easy, I assume they either aren't aware of the work they actually had to put into it, they knew enough related knowledge that connecting it together was easy for them in this case, or they are trying to make it look like they have some kind of higher intelligence. Intelligence is relative to experience, so if I think it's them thinking they have a higher intelligence, it bothers me, and I decide I don't want to be around them anymore. Otherwise, I might aim to find out why they said that, but it won't bother me. This could mean I could ask them questions I have on things and they might be able to help me as well.

Tiger Owl

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Whenever I hear it I take it as a challenge and do my level best to up my competence level until said activity really is 'so easy'.

plaminal

MBTI Type
xSFP
Enneagram
7?
Original Poster said that anyone could join in.

It bothers me; it seems rude and offensive. It sounds like, "Boy are you stupid/incompetent." Once I'd been on the receiving end of this gem of interpersonal behavior a couple of times, I've avoided doing it to anyone.

Maybe the people saying that are having a bad day and need to feel special.
Maybe they're trying to encourage us to keep trying because very soon we'll see why they're saying it's so easy.

There now, that's my moment of being all adult and understanding.

If being very annoyed by the "it's so EEEEAAsy" is especially characteristic of NT, then maybe a lot of my typing puzzle has been filled in.
By the way, I'm studying all of you.

Froody Blue Gem

Necromancing Scapelamb
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I suppose it does rub me the wrong way, that something that doesn't come naturally to me comes naturally to someone else and they expect everyone to have their skillset. Not saying that it doesn't come easily to them, but it shows a lack of ability to put themselves in other people's shows. It's ignorant to assume that everyone has the same set of knowledge/skills. I am careful to describe a task as simple. Another thing along those lines is when I complete a task that took a lot of hard work and someone describes it as easy. Statements like this aren't really helpful in any way, shape or form.

I know that some describe genius as taking something complicated and making it simple so in this regard, it can be looked at as a compliment. But somehow, my weird mind takes that as suggesting that the person perceives that I did not work as hard as I actually did when they describe a task as "easy."

Yuurei

Noncompliant
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
It's annoying but only enough so that I roll my eyes and assume they must be very insecure to posture about stupid shit like that.

This one is easy: You pat the person on the back and say "Fine, you do it then!". :D

That works too.