• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENTP] I really don't like the type profiles of my own type

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
I disliked them to the extent I went on a 8-year long denial of being of that type. ENTP. Crazy inventors, incoherent. Unable to plan. Flickering at every time. Overexuberant. Huh, what the fuck? It goes on. Unable to behave like a person, instead arguing all the time. Unable to see the big plan as they're just joking so much they're unable to plan for anything.

To add injury to the insult, I had a friend just like that, an ENTP, who was an incarnation of a Bad Example to me.

So seeing where I'm coming from, you can see why an ENTx doesn't want to take the ENTP label. Or, can you? Can you not?

Ideas, please.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I always kind of envied and admired the ENTPs I've known, to tell the truth. And I think I've met a few.

I also think the ENTP profiles generally sound awesome.

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Envy is one-sided, like love sometimes, there might be some point to it but it doesn't come to conclusion if both parties don't feel they will live up to the role of their part. If I accepted being envied, I'd take the good part, which I don't feel like taking. I've been to jobs where I've pointed out my excellent oratory skills only to find out they've wanted someone with more substancial knowledge of the topic area. So in other words I'm a blabbermouth who thinks highly of his stories - and who's storytelling abilities have been verified high - and who's kicked out of jobs because no job in existence is a storytelling job, and every job in existence is about showing persistent and profound ability in a narrow field, which is something I don't do well.

The markets have spoken. I'm worthless. I'm merely able to fool myself and others to think I'm worth recruiting for few months until I'm not. Yeah the ENTP dream isn't a nice one.

uumlau

Happy Dancer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
ENTPs tend to be Enneagram type 7s. Enneagram and MBTI tend to have a lot of correlations, but those correlations can create a lot of confusion if the Enneagram type doesn't really match the MBTI type.

Enneagram is a typology based on coping mechanisms, on how you REACT. MBTI (and Jungian functions in particular) is based on cognitive mechanisms, or how you THINK. It's entirely possible to be a careful, thoughtful person, insofar as you react, but also have the cognitive approach of a hyperimaginative ENTP. Based on your self description, I suspect you don't tend to react like a typical Enneagram 7, always looking for the next adventure to distract yourself from the realities you don't want to face. Figure out what Enneagram type you are, and then see how being ENTP might modify that.

As an example, I'm an INTJ, Enneagram type 9. As such, I'm about as "laid back" as an INTJ can get, but if you get me in an intellectual discussion I care about, I will instead appear very aggressive and passionate and will not back down as type 9s usually tend to do. INTJ 9s are fairly rare. INTJs usually tend to be type 5 (focusing on intellectual mastery), type 6 (extremely self conscious) or type 1 (focused on being "right"). All the other Enneagram types are possible, though type 7 is going to be very very rare for INTJs (because it correlates very closely with ExxP types).

So just figure out how you react, vs how you think. The first is very "gut-level": you do it without having to process anything. The latter is entirely about how you process things.

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Dude. Have you seen ISFJ profiles? They're fucking terrible too. Online profiles suck. Don't try and determine your type through profiles. They're so stereotype-ridden. I know MBTI is all about boxes, but like, some of these descriptions are just so terrible oh my god.

I know where your frustration is coming from. I don't like being part of a type where all of the profiles say that we "live to serve others" and paint us out to be 1950s conservative housewives. ENTP profiles are going to have very different problems, but still problems. Don't let the profiles get to you and definitely don't let them define you. Your type is just a label, it's not you. With 16 types and 7 billion people, a profile isn't going to be accurate enough to actually describe anyone.

Gamine

in-game
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w2
I'm an ENTP and a 3, so the internet would have you believe I'm no better than the scum you find at the bottom of a fish tank.

Do your weaknesses and mistakes define you? Or do you see opportunity to grow when an unpleasant reflection is presented to you?

Have I been objective to the point of damaging relationships? Absolutely. Have I been so disorganized that I lost incredible opportunities? Absolutely. That self awareness motivates me to work really really really hard at being a better version of myself.

I knew that my disorganization caused others to not take my seriously. I knew my manner of dealing with people wasn't effective, especially since my objectivity is powered by my deep passion for the wellbeing of others.

At the end of the day, I want to know that i've done the best I could.

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
[MENTION=5470]Gamine[/MENTION], I get you. I have too much of a truth-seeker and truth-teller in me to disregard that part of the type description. If I had none of that, I could shrug off the ENTP descriptions that easy.

@Yamato, I get you. I just met an INFJ I didn't understand for a long time. The guy was actually presented to me as a "father". I'm not sure if there's some symmetry with the idea of ISFJ mother.
[MENTION=9310]uumlau[/MENTION], I like your analysis of the MBTI-enneagram interactions. I've never thought of them as important until now. I will definitely look towards those explanations to see what understanding they may offer.

[Edit] I did an enneagram test and it got me the result 3, someone who seeks validation. I smell the influence of me getting kicked out of job. Perhaps another time would be better for this kind of testing.

Lily Bart

MBTI Type
INFP
For whatever reason, I'm surrounded by ENTP's and they really are very different. It's just a matter of finding the right place to best be themselves. Some of them switch jobs (or get fired!) a lot and some of them make major career changes (computer salesman to minister is my all time favorite!). They always seem to land on their feet, though, which is something I really admire about ENTP's. It's probably just a matter of maturing and figuring things out for yourself, which isn't a bad thing -- after all, how can anybody be a role model for an ENTP when they always want to think they know it all? ENTP's are brilliant, inventive, charismatic, fun, high energy, and, when they apply that cold, hard logic that is their auxilliary function ruthlessly to themselves, they can really be pretty impressive. But I also see people put them down all the time and they can be their own worst enemies, so it's really important to find a place where you fit in. Because you're so adaptable and charismatic, you think everything's going great, even when the foundations are pretty shaky. All kinds of people latch onto you because they see an advantage -- if you don't coldly assess whether there's any real advantage for you, then you're not doing yourself any favors.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
So seeing where I'm coming from, you can see why an ENTx doesn't want to take the ENTP label.

I can see why someone who wants to be an ENTJ so bad they can taste it, not wanting to admit they're an ENTP and blaming it on another ENTP, sure.

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
I can see why someone who wants to be an ENTJ so bad they can taste it, not wanting to admit they're an ENTP and blaming it on another ENTP, sure.
Everything you refer to was basically handed to you on a plate. Is this the material you use to sound smart?

FAIL

Typh0n

clever fool
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I've not interacted with you before, but from reading your posts, I think you are TeNi(ENTJ), without a doubt. I am good recognizing my own type, and their thought process.

Sorry this isn't what you want to hear, maybe, but its my opinion.
[MENTION=988]UnitOfPopulation[/MENTION]

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Then, who are you?
I pretty much change, with some core values. What I'm at core is yet to found. As I've told, I keep ENTJ descriptions in high regard. As an inspiration of sort. A fish who holds a bird as their inspiration might not fly. Also, ENTP is somewhat of an inspiration for me, but not that much of an inspiration, but rather the baseline. Also, INTJ is much what I am, but not that much anyways. INTP has a lot of inspiration for me but such a great disparities to what I am, I understand it isn't what I am.

So, what am I? I adjust to the society, according to some of my core values. Comparing my career progression to some of my peers I can say my understanding of "adjusting" to the society has been great, but the actual adjusting has been less so. I've refused to believe that people in the game industry has now decided on the best software practices and I am to be nothing but a humble follower. I don't wish guruship myself, just a fair handling of the issues behind how we all do work.

Compared to a con-artist, I'm a corporate monkey. Compared to a capitalist I'm a a resource, something who will be put to use or removed. I could cite many things I am to someone. I have too much knowledge of who I am so I can't put it to speech, but probably I know shit - nothing - so I'm worth shit and my opinions along with it. If I ever wanted something, it would be the knowledge of whether or not I had the ability for self-assessment. I probably have, but putting that self-assesment in words with every known group I'm involved with is much more difficult.

CitizenErased

Clean Slate
In my humble opinion, MBTI is not 100% for EVERY single person in the world.It's just a guideline to understand how one thinks. Obviously not all of the description will click (for example, I'm INTP, and even though I would get excellent in maths, I've never been interested in them, or in science... and I doubt all INTPs are brainiacs -I don't think I am-).

For me, MBTI, as well as Enneagram are forms of understanding oneself: one takes the part that matches one's personality and does two things: A) take the strengths and tries to keep them that way, and B) take the weaknesses and find hacks to overcome the problems that they may cause. What one shouldn't do is take descriptions as an excuse: "Here's the proof: I'm like this and I can't change it", because then MBTI is useless.

Regarding the ENTP topic, half my friends are ENTPs and they are a bit pesky when it comes to arguing. But I just admire them because I'd love to be like them. Instead of seeing their personalities as "dichotomous", I see them as "versatile".

I'd tell you what I think about the ENTJ/ENTP dilemma, but I can't seem to type people just from written words, I need to see them in action. I have something like Digital Asperger's (?)

Norrsken

self murderer
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Yes. Don't believe the online profiles, lol, it turns everybody into offensive caricature of some sort.

Jetta

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
Become a judger and then you'll be an ENTJ like Steve Jobs.

edit: apparently this was an obvious suggestion. :/

Rebeka

MBTI Type
ENFP
a friend of mine is INTJ and he confesses he finds impossible to get on well with people from his type (although i dont think so, i rather think he'd admire them, for they are thrilled to haven known themselves XD) the same I'd say It would apply to all rationals... so be NF, my friend...:D:peaceout:

chubber

failed poetry slam career
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Not sure how it can be said that ENTPs aren't planners, they also work with what they have in front of them. Because they first plan and then do. They are also external to the plan and rigid in their ways of sticking to it. Unlike the types with Se that mobilizes quickly and adapt accordingly.

Yuurei

Noncompliant
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Well it's only one letter away from ENTJ.

That's still 3/4's more awesome than the rest of the population.