User Tag List

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    458 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INTJ Ni

Default How Some iEmployers View INTJ coworkers.

Here lately work has become very mundane. I can't seem to figure out what the deal is. I am extremely productive at work compared to your average employee ( one could only expect from an INTJ right?)... However the issue seems to be that my coworkers recognise the extense of my work efforts, but employers who don't work with me for an entire day seem to think that I'm slow and lazy... Sure I'll admit that I like to take a second to look at my work, or pause to analyze what ever project I'm about to start on. I can only assume the problem is that in conjunction with my resting bitch face, and making repetitive mundane task look easy as I pass into autopilot.

Is it common for employers to see INTJ's like myself as lazy? If so... What could cause the INTJ to appear as such? What measures can be taken to not appear that way? (Don't say work harder, because the efforts already greatly exceed that of my peers.)
    ~ Only your heart can poison your mind. ~

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo View Post
    Is it common for employers to see INTJ's like myself as lazy? If so... What could cause the INTJ to appear as such? What measures can be taken to not appear that way? (Don't say work harder, because the efforts already greatly exceed that of my peers.)
    I work in an organization with an unusually large number of INTJs. My managers have never considered me lazy, and from what my coworkers say, they have not been viewed this way either. Perhaps it has to do with the kind of work you do, that it is hard to gauge what an employee's output is day to day.

My only suggestion is to check in with your boss from time to time - say at least once a week. Take the opportunity to point out what you have finished, and what you are about to start on. Nothing formal, no need even to take a seat in their office. In fact the more informal the better. Just something like, "Hey, boss - I finished analyzing the XYZ spreadsheet a couple days ago, and finished the Blah report this morning. Now I am pulling together the presentations for next week's meeting. Any changes I should be aware of?" Just keeps them from overlooking you, or your work, or your plans, and gives you an opportunity to gauge their reactions.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...
    Likes Litsnob, Shaedow, Cellmold liked this post

deactivated

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo View Post
    Here lately work has become very mundane. I can't seem to figure out what the deal is. I am extremely productive at work compared to your average employee ( one could only expect from an INTJ right?)... However the issue seems to be that my coworkers recognise the extense of my work efforts, but employers who don't work with me for an entire day seem to think that I'm slow and lazy... Sure I'll admit that I like to take a second to look at my work, or pause to analyze what ever project I'm about to start on. I can only assume the problem is that in conjunction with my resting bitch face, and making repetitive mundane task look easy as I pass into autopilot.

If that's a superficial impression they have of you, then you can just work on the surface of your behavior. In this case, even the way you walk and make conversation might have an impact.

I walk more rapidly and confidently in places where I know some people might tag me as "low-energy" (especially if I need their approval, or cooperation). Just in case.

It's as ridiculous as it sounds.

MBTI
    IxNJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILI None

Talking about work, my boss thinks that I'm slacking and not contributing enough as I do not appear to be busy. The simple mundane tasks I have completed long ago (efficiency of an intj) , and the others are busy.As I am new, I am not entrusted with more duties besides the clerical ones. How do I go about this? And my boss thinks I am very tired due to my resting bitch face, it's just my face. Urghh frustrating.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram

I think it depends on the person himself instead of the MBTI.
    5w4,4w5,1

The Researcher

Quote Originally Posted by theloner View Post
    Talking about work, my boss thinks that I'm slacking and not contributing enough as I do not appear to be busy. The simple mundane tasks I have completed long ago (efficiency of an intj) , and the others are busy.As I am new, I am not entrusted with more duties besides the clerical ones. How do I go about this? And my boss thinks I am very tired due to my resting bitch face, it's just my face. Urghh frustrating.
    I think what @Coriolis said is probably your best bet.

There is also nothing stopping you taking initiative and asking for more work once you have completed your tasks.
    "Hey boss, I've finished XYZ tasks. I'm just going over them to make sure nothing was missed. Is there anything else I could do or help someone out with? Thanks"

I don't see why this wouldn't be looked on favourably. It also goes in your favour when you ask for a raise later on.

I believe for some they are of the perspective time is money. If you aren't busy the expectation follows you find something else productive to do.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    I work in an organization with an unusually large number of INTJs. My managers have never considered me lazy, and from what my coworkers say, they have not been viewed this way either. Perhaps it has to do with the kind of work you do, that it is hard to gauge what an employee's output is day to day.

My only suggestion is to check in with your boss from time to time - say at least once a week. Take the opportunity to point out what you have finished, and what you are about to start on. Nothing formal, no need even to take a seat in their office. In fact the more informal the better. Just something like, "Hey, boss - I finished analyzing the XYZ spreadsheet a couple days ago, and finished the Blah report this morning. Now I am pulling together the presentations for next week's meeting. Any changes I should be aware of?" Just keeps them from overlooking you, or your work, or your plans, and gives you an opportunity to gauge their reactions.
    This is great advice, @Coriolis.

I wouldn't exceed once per two weeks, however, as this may be construed mistakenly by your boss as you needing your hand held with respect being informed about expectations and goings-on. The only other time not to do this is if there is a lot of work to be completed. Managers do not like to chat even in passing when they or you have a high amount of tasks still on the table.

EDIT: Sigh, necro.