• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Other/Multiple Temperaments] each types response to 'what is art'?

wolfnara

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
"The expression or application of human creative skill and imagination, typically in a visual form such as painting or sculpture, producing works to be appreciated primarily for their beauty or emotional power."

jung-chagall-art-collectie-unconscious-750x462.jpg

I think it is just that. That is why I agree with the INTP statement (alongside the ENFJ and ENTJ ones) However, I often despise sculptural pieces and modern art you see in art galleries can be uninteresting. Usually I appriciate aesthetically pleasing pieces of artwork but this for example -
hepworh_dulwich_2671039b.jpg

is boring.

The first post about the types interpretation of art is anti-sensor biased. Many people in my art class are sensors, who seem to be skilled at the practical development and very aware of sensory detailed in their work (which I personally find difficulty with) They do not have the inability to understand or admire abstract concepts.

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Art is art. I know what it is when I look at it.

Better question is "What's each type's favorite kind of art?"

KIttyGirl

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
2w3
Instinctual Variant
sp
Im sorry if this is bad!! Im new at this!

ESTJ: Art is time that could have been better spent doing something productive.
ESTP: Eh I was never really into all that art stuff. Who needs paint and a brush when you have football and women!
ESFJ: Art is beautiful! Whenever I have friends over I make sure I point out all the beautiful picture of flowers! It makes me happy, and it makes them happy!
ESFP: There are so many different forms of art! There are pastels, there are watercolors, and I love it when everything comes together a beautiful picture is made. It makes me feel good
ISTJ: Never was a huge fan of art. I always thought it was too messy.
ISTP: Art is ok to look at for a bit, but after a while it is just plain boring.
ISFJ: I like art because it connects everyone together. It makes the world a beautiful place, and makes me happy to be alive and with those I love.
ENTJ: Some art is better than other art. If people could decide what art is worth seeing and put that in one spot then maybe Id see it. Move people!
ENTP: I love art! You can be as creative as you want with it! There are no limits to it, and you can just go crazy! Art is every crazy thought you have ever had exploded onto a canvas!!!:smile:
ENFJ: Art is supposed to make you feel something. I love it when art spurs something inside of someone that they never knew they had. Art can start a revolution!
ENFP: Art is a fun outlet for my feelings! Its time for letting go creatively in a way that doesnt hurt anyones feelings. My favorite artwork is the artwork that doesnt always make sense, but you know deep inside that the artist felt something when he painted it.
INTJ: I dont know much about art, but its beautiful and deep down I enjoy it.
INTP: I have lots of interesting facts about art! I think that art is a combination of a persons subconcious desires and asthetic taste.
INFJ: Art moves humanity in times when individuals are at their lowest. It can shine a light on serious problems facing our society and hopefully enlighten all those who need it.
INFP: Who is to say what art means to anyone else. I think art is beautiful, it encaptures the whole of a persons soul, and shares meaning with others in a way words sometimes cannot.

Well according to this, INFJ's are the only one's who understand art!

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
NF - a way to picture human understanding of themselves and the world

NT - what design can accomplish

SJ - a way of connecting without judgment

SP - an activity to explore the present moment

Mayflower

King Ping
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

ESTP: Eh I was never really into all that art stuff. Who needs paint and a brush when you have football and women!
ESFJ: Art is beautiful! Whenever I have friends over I make sure I point out all the beautiful picture of flowers! It makes me happy, and it makes them happy!
ESFP: There are so many different forms of art! There are pastels, there are watercolors, and I love it when everything comes together a beautiful picture is made. It makes me feel good
ISTP: Art is ok to look at for a bit, but after a while it is just plain boring.
ISFJ: I like art because it connects everyone together. It makes the world a beautiful place, and makes me happy to be alive and with those I love.
ENTJ: Some art is better than other art. If people could decide what art is worth seeing and put that in one spot then maybe Id see it. Move people!
ENTP: I love art! You can be as creative as you want with it! There are no limits to it, and you can just go crazy! Art is every crazy thought you have ever had exploded onto a canvas!!!:smile:
ENFJ: Art is supposed to make you feel something. I love it when art spurs something inside of someone that they never knew they had. Art can start a revolution!
ENFP: Art is a fun outlet for my feelings! Its time for letting go creatively in a way that doesnt hurt anyones feelings. My favorite artwork is the artwork that doesnt always make sense, but you know deep inside that the artist felt something when he painted it.
INTP: I have lots of interesting facts about art! I think that art is a combination of a persons subconcious desires and asthetic taste.
INFJ: Art moves humanity in times when individuals are at their lowest. It can shine a light on serious problems facing our society and hopefully enlighten all those who need it.
INFP: Who is to say what art means to anyone else. I think art is beautiful, it encaptures the whole of a persons soul, and shares meaning with others in a way words sometimes cannot.
I definitely relate with the Istp. To me, art is anything pretty. I'm not into that art gallery mindset of "this painting represents..." or "you can tell the what the artist was feeling through the brushstrokes". If it catches my eye, yay, moving on...

Abendrot

one way trip
MBTI Type
IntJ
Enneagram
85X
Instinctual Variant
sx
I relate most with the INFJ, ENFJ and INFP definitions of art. In my opinion, art, at its best, can inspire people and serve as the foundation for culture. It serves as a tool for reaching into the deepest depths of the nature of humanity and drawing out what is best. A medium for anamnesis.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think art is an extension of oneself/ones' personality into an external medium, with the intent to say something, convey something, express something.

As such, it'll vary from one person to the next, in terms of what that extension is and means, what the person finds beautiful, what the person finds valuable, what the person is saying or expressing.

It's also why we all have our own preferences as far as art we like and art we dislike.

MBTI Type
ISIS
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
SP here, art is subjective. That's the only definition in good faith that works for me. Boring, I know.

This made me laugh in part because its the honest brutal truth. There are instances where art is important to be sure, but I find that a lot of times people use it to make themselves seem more interesting than they actually are when they could have actually been doing something interesting.

neuskens

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w4
Art to me is literally anything you wanna call art because of the meanings you see in it.

Rebeka

MBTI Type
ENFP

Did you arrange it yourself? (i'm not being sarcastic, it's that you actually suceeded in the ENFP's perspective and I think overall, congrats :D:D)

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp
Did you arrange it yourself? (i'm not being sarcastic, it's that you actually suceeded in the ENFP's perspective and I think overall, congrats :D:D)

Yeah I did. Funny thing to me is- I did this like RIGHT when I first joined- not too long after- at a time when I, compared to now, wasnt super incredibly typologically fluent. I mean, not that I am some sort of amazing typologist now or anything- but its- I dunno- the fact that this has been quoted like... multiple times lately... is just a bit surprising to me. Its something I had forgotten about completely.

But Im glad to hear that you DID relate to it. :D

undique

MBTI Type
INTP

"INTP: I have lots of interesting facts about art! I think that art is a combination of a persons subconcious desires and asthetic taste."

I'm an INTP and an artist and I can say... that's pretty much spot on. Ha.

Dreamer

Potential is My Addiction
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
I most likely uttered the exact words as listed by many of your type examples Hahaha. ESFP, ENTP, ENFJ, ENFP, INTP, INFP, INTJ. Yup! I've said all those things. I just like to look at art from many angles really. It's fun! But dang though, them feels ya get from art too, them feels! :happy2:

Lord Lavender

Bluered Trickster
MBTI Type
EVLF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
ENTP= Hey what if we had like a alternative dimension behind our Earth. Time travel is amazing and i will paint a visual image of what time travel looks like. What if we had a world that was stuck in various time periods and therefore a world with many timelines. A world inhabited by sentient dinosaurs would look amazing.

Mayflower

King Ping
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
What each function focuses on art

Ni: The meaning and symbolism of the piece.
Ne: The connections to concepts and ideas that the art suggests.
Si: The impressions that the piece stirs within.
Se: The awe and badassery of the piece itself.

Ti: understanding the visual effects of the art style.
Te: "What objective was met at it's creation?"
Fi: "This one calls to me. Can't say why."
Fe: "What do others value in this? Is it well-known?"

Upnextup

MBTI Type
INFJ
what is art? um . . . Art imitates life imitates art? I really think this is an open-ended question but not necessarily an effective one in my eyes (more semantics) but I think its really pretty cool that you asked it. I bet it'll get some pretty nifty responses too. :)

Agent Washington

Softserve Ice Cream
"All art is quite useless" - oscar wilde, who most definitely wasn't an istj**

**you have to read it in context as dorian gray intro though.

I've always said art is subjective in and of itself, but for me it is a way to manifest my innermost feelings on a visual platform where words are unable to do so in such a profound and cohesive manner. The idiom "A picture is worth a thousand words" is my essential foundation on what art means to me. I didn't see anything with ISFP listed, but I resonated with the INFP description the most with maybe ENFP coming in second.