User Tag List

First 123 Last

MBTI
    INTP

I read it, and appreciate it, and will likely spend a nice chunk of time thinking about it. (I also think it would benefit from a bit of editing.) I see a lot of myself in there. My frustration with this, as with so many things I have read about INTP tendencies, is that while it describes the issues and refers to solutions, it does nothing to help me know how to achieve growth. Specifically, it points to developing Fe in order to be more skilled in relationship-building and maintaining, but fails to tell me how I go about doing that. Of course, I understand that that was not the intention of this essay, but I do find it frustrating that I can find many analyses of INTP that point to this very issue, but none that give any direction on how to do the necessary development.

Perhaps that is merely illustrative of one of the issues? INTPs are good at analysing the situation, but less skilled at prescribing a response that involves Fe?
    Likes INTPhonetics liked this post

MBTI
    INTP

Wow, that was a good read, thank you blue wing.
    I hope you'll go on to provide a similar insight for some of the other functions as well. No pressure though...I'll take what I can get.
    Ti > Ne > Ni > Si > Fi > Se > Te > Fe

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

holy crap this has me questioning my type

MBTI
    INTP

Wonderfully put, BlueWing. Thanks for that. :] It made me realize just how figuring out what type I fall under doesn't just mean I should stop there. I have so many things to learn, considering I'm strongly Ti-oriented, and probably close to being the manifestation of the negative aspects you posed [eloquently, I might add] with said orientation.

Like Tiamat, I hope for similar insights into other types as well. That truly was one of the most entertaining reads I've had in a while. :]

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Quote Originally Posted by duende View Post
    I read it, and appreciate it, and will likely spend a nice chunk of time thinking about it. (I also think it would benefit from a bit of editing.) I see a lot of myself in there. My frustration with this, as with so many things I have read about INTP tendencies, is that while it describes the issues and refers to solutions, it does nothing to help me know how to achieve growth. Specifically, it points to developing Fe in order to be more skilled in relationship-building and maintaining, but fails to tell me how I go about doing that. Of course, I understand that that was not the intention of this essay, but I do find it frustrating that I can find many analyses of INTP that point to this very issue, but none that give any direction on how to do the necessary development.

Perhaps that is merely illustrative of one of the issues? INTPs are good at analysing the situation, but less skilled at prescribing a response that involves Fe?
    Good point. Like anything we learn in life, it takes a very conscious EFFORT to learn. Make it your priority to learn and grow emotionally, and it should come to you. I'm also the type who relies on meditation and other spiritual practices and beliefs to help me grow as a person.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by duende View Post

The best technique I've found, and believe me when I say I've still got a lot of learning to do on Fe, is to simply be in the moment with my emotions. It's similar to meditation, but focused on picking out what in the noise of the background I'm actually feeling without judgement or interference, and simply allowing that emotion to exist. By deciphering what an emotion "feels" like to me in a time of peace and reflection, I can more readily identify what's going on in a moment of conflict. It helps reduce the confusion!

Ultimately we're weak about it not because we feel less, but simply because we shove those feelings to one side in a drive towards cooler logic. The solution, in the end, is two-fold: to accept what we're feeling in the moment as natural and, in somewhat of a contradiction, to realize that we can change our emotions within a certain range... but only if we know they're there.

I'm working on it.
    "The subject chooses to sit in shadow and search for wisdom by reflecting upon his trial. The problem is not that he is cold and wet, but that cold and wet seems problematic, so he embraces those hardships in order to best them."

MBTI
    INTP

looks like i need to start working on me Ne

Will have to start researching how to do that now...

MBTI
    Ixxx

Great writing, BlueWing. Found the description of the ramifications of having Ti as one's dominant function insightful and helpful.

P.S. Why BlueWing instead of SolitaryWalker?

Banned
    MBTI
    type
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INFP

Well done, but I only had to skim. So apparently, we are machines by nature.

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

I wonder why Ni gets confused with Ti.