User Tag List

First 3456 Last

MBTI
    SEXY

I'm sorry mate, I really did like the OP and was interested (it's very well written), but it just was too long to keep my attention.
    (removed)

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    5w6

Quote Originally Posted by Shimmy View Post
    I'm sorry mate, I really did like the OP and was interested (it's very well written), but it just was too long to keep my attention.
    Whats the point of making a post just to say a post was too long?

Its your own damn fault, this is solitarywalker, he cant order breakfast without a wall of text and I for one enjoy them.
    Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh? wgah'nagl fhtagn

Senior Member ObliviousExistence's Avatar
    MBTI
    loco
    Enneagram
    5W4

very interesting, thanks for posting. Where did you gather this information from?

Tenured roisterer SolitaryWalker's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by ObliviousExistence View Post
    very interesting, thanks for posting. Where did you gather this information from?
    Careful readings of the Psychological Types and my own philosophical discoveries on the subject. More so the latter than the former.
    "Do not argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." -- Mark Twain

“No man but a blockhead ever wrote, except for money.”---Samuel Johnson

My blog: www.randommeanderings123.blogspot.com/

MBTI
    entp

you've put things far more succinctly that i would have been able to...well done

id say posts like these are a must read for most entps who are new to the jungian theory. most go to the sites and read those descriptions that only serve to fuel the ego...pretty soon these entps begin identifying with the archetype entp and its downhill from that point on till the Ti kicks
    Last edited by thisGuy; 02-22-2010 at 08:16 AM.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w4?

Found some parts to be a bit redundant at times, and a few cases of wording used which was unnecessary when simpler terminology would've been actually more accurate (big words for the sake of big words is bad; use them to specify particular meanings which simpler terms aren't specialized for :O ), but overall quite well done for an in depth analysis.

Found it lacking in a few areas, however, but honestly it was quite long as it was, and I'm not sure people could've maintained attention spans long enough to finish it if yeu went through the same depth of rationalization to all aspects of life XD

Honestly the only reason I got through it is because it said "ENTP PROFILE ZOMG" so I hads to read through it. Because it was about me. Whot can I say? My ego rivals steeve jobs.

Regardless though, it's quite well thought out, though it sounds very much so like something intended for a school project... too much fluttering about to compare other types to be something of a focused research topic, but, rather, the feeling of being left in to hint at knowledge of other areas, instead of directly correlating to the matter at hand.

Still a good read though =3

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w4

Solitary Walker, I've read a few of your profiles posted at personalitycafe. They're so helpful! But require pretty intense concentration.

This gave me a much clearer understanding of how Fe works for an ENTP. That definitely makes sense. The only thing I'm still unclear on at this point is Si .. I want to learn to observe when it manifests itself in my life. Sometimes when I'm emotionally stressed I do experience uncontrolled nostalgic/sensory related impulses. And it's a really strange feeling. Perhaps that's Si. The fact that I can't really put my finger on it supports the notion that it's an inferior function.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by SolitaryWalker View Post
    I tried to post this on ENTP.org, did not get a confirmation email for my registration.

Someone put a word in for me please.
    Thank you SolitaryWalker. I passed along the final revision of your profile to ENTP.org last August. I created a short preface in another thread of entp.org to explain why I was relaying your work to the site because I registered with a one and done username--likewise, I've done the same here as a proper notification. Because the entp site has been modified since last August the link to that preface I inserted into the heading of your profile under the pseudonym "Kathy" is broken.

But your profile and the thread I created to house it in its unedited form, exactly as it appears in this thread, is available just as I left it and can be easily found by using the link below. Thank you for engaging this subject with such diligence; though it may test the collective attention span of its intended audience-it tested mine-I believe your insight into the inner workings of the type are invaluable. Best Wishes!

Entp profile - ENTP.org

Quote Originally Posted by thisGuy View Post
    you've put things far more succinctly that i would have been able to...well done

id say posts like these are a must read for most entps who are new to the jungian theory. most go to the sites and read those descriptions that only serve to fuel the ego...pretty soon these entps begin identifying with the archetype entp and its downhill from that point on till the Ti kicks
    Exactly. Well-said.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

These parts seem especially accurate:

Yet the ENP will need to have the notion of the current situation fixated, and then based on that will attempt to see what this particular entity could be like. Or what it would seem like from other perspectives. Such a type would see horizontally, or forego selecting a starting point, but leap at the scenario simultaneously.
    They prefer to devote all of their being to the current task, and this is never a conscious choice, but this happens as a necessary entailment of their interaction with the outer world. It is their unconscious perception that foments them to interact with the world in such a fashion, not the conscious secondary Introverted Judgment. When Extroverted Intuition becomes preponderous over introverted judgment, the ENTP will face similar maladies unhealthy ESPs tend to be afflicted withrecklessness.
    And especially this...which is something I wish I could do better:

However, ENTPs who have developed their introverted judgment and have come in tune with the higher purpose will liberate themselves from the tyranny of the external agenda and only then will be able to come to terms with their inner being and view themselves as true individuals as opposed to mere agents of the network they are environed in. There they will be able to see a sharp distinction between the things they do to humor their outer environment and what is a true a manifestation of their inner being. There they will cease trying to be one of their personas that theyve put on display for the sake of meeting a particular end of the outer world, but will then see personas as either irrelevant to who they are or merely means to the end of attunement with their inner being.

I have a couple of questions, though...in this quote...

However, one important phenomenon that we should take note of is that all of our intuitive perceptions were first inspired by external phenomena. Therefore Briggs approach to the Judging/Perceiving dichotomy has much merit in this respect. Namely that she regards Judging types as those approaching the external world with a judging function and intuitive types approaching the external world with an intuitive function.
    ...you seem to acknowledge that all information regarding cognitive tendencies of others must have originally come from some external behavioral observation...but doesn't most behavioral typology degrade quickly into useless folk typology?

I suppose I'm still confused on what exactly constitutes folk typology. You quote Lenore Thomson here, is she not a folk typologist? Much of her book is devoted to pointing out everyday behaviors that are common in each type--you do this several times in your own piece here:

As for instance, it is very common for a Judger to say that they could not imagine the concept of yellow without the word yellow, yet very uncommon for a dominant Extroverted perceiver to make the same claim.
    The EP, unlike the IJ, must always be adapting to the new environment, therefore he easily becomes restless after novelty has worn off.
    and so on. So we can use cognitive tendencies to infer behaviors that are common for each type? You've devoted a significant portion of this profile to describing behavioral tendencies, so knowing about the relevant cognitive tendencies can lead us to creating a profile of behavioral tendencies common for people with those cognitive tendencies, right?

So...at what point in doing this do we steer into folk typology? Is the problem in using everyday behaviors to infer cognitive tendencies instead of the other way around?

If we know which cognitive tendencies tend to lead to which behaviors, once we've observed some behaviors in a person, can't we make reasonably educated guesses about which cognitive tendencies are the cause (even if we don't have direct information from that person describing his own cognitive tendencies)?

Is folk typology the practice of using everyday non-cognitive behaviors to infer cognitive tendencies? If so, once we become familiar with the profiles of each type and the common behaviors those cognitive tendencies will tend to produce, why can't we go the other way and use those common behaviors to make inductive guesses at someone's psychological type? Admittedly this would be guesswork and would not yield precise accuracy, but does that really make it (almost) entirely worthless?

Guessing about cognitive tendencies based on everyday behaviors would seem to be something the extroverted perceiver has a talent for. While he won't always be right in these guesses and will not have direct access to information on a person's cognitive tendencies from which to infer behavioral patterns (the way an introverted judger would prefer), he may guess correctly more often than you might expect.
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

I finally got to sit down and read this through - I'm 98% sure I'm ENTP. I'd love to read other profiles that don't describe me so well in the same depth. Great job.
    "Poor bastard. Wait 'till he sees the bats. "
    enneagram - 7/5/3