User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp

Default Introverts and Invisibility

It occurred to me the other day that I like to maintain a certain level of "invisibility" in my daily life. For example, I like to stay at work for an extra hour after most people have left, I time my lunch break after everyone else has come back from theirs, I only go for breaks when the social room is likely to be quiet, I have two work areas (desk and lab) and will tend to use the one with the fewest people close by.

Keeping a low profile has it's advantages: I can quietly pick up a huge amount of inside information without others' being aware of me doing so. It also gives me a certain freedom to "slip between the gaps" of conventional policies and procedures into a place where novel ideas and approaches can be explored.

Sometimes I'll want to share one of my discoveries, so I'll "switch off" the invisibility for a while and present my ideas and findings to my colleagues. They are likely to say things like "Where did this come from?" or "I had no idea you were thinking about this!".

Sometimes the invisibility can be a curse, when you have something really important to share, but no-one seems to see or hear you at all! (Hello! I'm over here! Can anyone see me!).

From an Extraverts point of view, it must be quite frustrating: sometimes we're there and ready to participate, at other times we've vanished without a trace and left no forwarding address.

I'd like to hear of fellow introverts' experiences of this invisibility power (in positive and negative ways).

I'd also like to know if "Introvert Invisibility" is as frustrating to Extraverts as I suspect.

INFJ 9w1 sx/sp/so

"A wizard is never late. Nor is he early. He arrives precisely when he means to." - Gandalf The Grey

And if I only could,
    I'd make a deal with God,
    And I'd get him to swap our places,
    Be running up that road,
    Be running up that hill,
    With no problems.

- Kate Bush

MBTI
    INTP

Pshhh. Damn it, the invisibility cloak just doesn't work with me. I always try and get pulled out by people. I swear if I wasn't straight I would be a misogynist. Seriously, though, unless you're uber geeky and off putting/ grotesque trying to be "invisible" only goes so far.
    My cold, snide, intellectual life is just a veneer, behind which lies the plywood of loneliness.

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

You are so right, Apollanaut.

I was just thinking about this today, as well. Specifically, how I's may frustrate E's (and even other I's) because they appear "invisible" like you said. Naturally, being "invisible" is comforting for I's but they also suffer consequences because of this so you have to take the good with the bad.

Most of my life falls into a category invisible.

I think that this skill saved me from many problems and I think that this is one of my greatest strengths.

In highschool I was known as "the ghost".(actually I still am)

Yes, Es are quite frustrated with this "ability" if you ask me and the only solution is to be invisible enough so that they do not even suspect that you are around.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Antisocial one View Post
    Most of my life falls into a category invisible.

I think that this skill saved me from many problems and I think that this is one of my greatest strengths.

In highschool I was known as "the ghost".(actually I still am)

Yes, Es are quite frustrated with this "ability" if you ask me and the only solution is to be invisible enough so that they do not even suspect that you are around.
    It's even possible to be "invisible" in plain sight! The surface part of you puts on a show to distract others, while the real you carries on with it's true agenda (or evil secret plan) unnoticed.
    INFJ 9w1 sx/sp/so

"A wizard is never late. Nor is he early. He arrives precisely when he means to." - Gandalf The Grey

And if I only could,
    Be running up that road,
    Be running up that hill,
    With no problems.

- Kate Bush

MBTI
    INTP

See the thing is, I love to be outspoken about my ideas. When your intermittent with talking and being available it creates an endless cycle of E's wanting consistency and I's wanting control. My problem isn't necessarily getting my voice heard, but more so actually trying to be invisible. I'm in my head most of the time as it is anyways, it just annoys me when people want me to live outside it ALL the time.
    My cold, snide, intellectual life is just a veneer, behind which lies the plywood of loneliness.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Aimahn View Post
    See the thing is, I love to be outspoken about my ideas. When your intermittent with talking and being available it creates an endless cycle of E's wanting consistency and I's wanting control. My problem isn't necessarily getting my voice heard, but more so actually trying to be invisible. I'm in my head most of the time as it is anyways, it just annoys me when people want me to live outside it ALL the time.
    Don't get me wrong: I also love to be outspoken about my ideas. At these times, I'll switch the invisibility fully off. If I really want to be heard, then I'll actually try to make myself "shine brightly" to attract attention. It took quite a lot of personal growth before I became comfortable with taking the spotlight in this way and yes, it can make it difficult to go back to being invisible afterward.
    INFJ 9w1 sx/sp/so

And if I only could,
    Be running up that road,
    Be running up that hill,
    With no problems.

- Kate Bush

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Apollanaut View Post
    It occurred to me the other day that I like to maintain a certain level of "invisibility" in my daily life. For example, I like to stay at work for an extra hour after most people have left, I time my lunch break after everyone else has come back from theirs, I only go for breaks when the social room is likely to be quiet, I have two work areas (desk and lab) and will tend to use the one with the fewest people close by.

Keeping a low profile has it's advantages: I can quietly pick up a huge amount of inside information without others' being aware of me doing so. It also gives me a certain freedom to "slip between the gaps" of conventional policies and procedures into a place where novel ideas and approaches can be explored.

Sometimes I'll want to share one of my discoveries, so I'll "switch off" the invisibility for a while and present my ideas and findings to my colleagues. They are likely to say things like "Where did this come from?" or "I had no idea you were thinking about this!".

Sometimes the invisibility can be a curse, when you have something really important to share, but no-one seems to see or hear you at all! (Hello! I'm over here! Can anyone see me!).

From an Extraverts point of view, it must be quite frustrating: sometimes we're there and ready to participate, at other times we've vanished without a trace and left no forwarding address.

I'd like to hear of fellow introverts' experiences of this invisibility power (in positive and negative ways).

I'd also like to know if "Introvert Invisibility" is as frustrating to Extraverts as I suspect.

, I feel that way too.
    The best is when you speak up there's this eerie silence .One teacher thought I was mute. It was kind of funny .My friend's friends think I don't speak English because I come from her old French school and don't talk much.
    I also like to go and venture on my own, people have to "tie me to the group" or I tend to "float away".
    We were doing this school race and they tried to find me in the park but it turned out I just went looking for "better" company. and never came back of course. After that I just strolled around and they found me again:steam:
    I love being invisible most of the time but it can be annoying when you go unnoticed .
    Sometimes I feel like I'm "on Mercury"-

MBTI
    INFP

There are times when I wish to be more invisible than I am able. My introverted son blends into the wallpaper.

And, yes. Sometimes when I want to be seen and heard I seem to be invisible! Dang perverted thang.
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

MBTI
    ENTP

We see you there being invisible, but since you're not causing problems or competing with us we leave you alone like a child playing by himself.

Also, aren't INFJ's considered rather avoidant? I seem to remember reading this.
    "Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave."