• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Introverts and Invisibility

Kyrielle

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
You described it perfectly. I've noticed the "power" as well.

Teachers never call on me in class, even though I'm obviously not paying attention, I've even been sitting in the front of the room doing work for another class while the teacher was trying to teach, and they don't notice, while with anyone else, they'll get yelled at instantly.

I never fall under suspicion of doing anything, it isn't even thought of by anyone. I walk in late to class, and no one notices. I've bought $3 in merchandise at the store, and am wearing a baggy sweatshirt with odd shapes showing in the pocket, and I don't even get a second glance from the security guy at the door. I'm setting off a huge quantity of fireworks in my front yard, the police officer just keeps driving by, and the same guy the next day gives my neighbor a ticket for a some tiny firecrackers.

No one ever thinks I'm listening or care about whatever it is they're discussing, because I'm quiet and generally keep to myself. I'm ALWAYS listening, and as you've said, I find out a ton of useful information from doing so.

I also kind of like how surprised people are when I do have stuff to say and the like. (Note: With friends or people I know well, this is different obviously).

I can definitely relate. It's kind of nice once you realise what it is that makes people do that (which is, mostly, looking like it is a perfectly normal and natural thing for you to be ignored...as if that is the natural order of things and neither you nor anyone else should be bothered by it because it simply is).

I particularly have had the "late to class" thing. I can walk in late, state that I'm late, explain why I'm late and the teacher will do nothing more than nod and maybe smile and then fail to mark me tardy. It's very weird.

Simplexity

MBTI Type
INTP
As even introverts comprise the external social and physical reality, we must sweep you with our lidless Sauron-like radar. For true invisibility, office doors work well, though. Any doors really.

Yeah, see I'm kinda in school so I don't have that luxury. I wish I did though to a certain extent, because honestly I really don't have that much energy or necessarily care to put enough of a facade to pretend like I do. Doors sound excellent though, maybe if I had my own room...

LucrativeSid

Why would I care if somebody wanted to be invisible? I have my own life to live and my own work to do. Carry on, I say. I don't see how that would be frustrating to me unless you were hiding out just so you could slack off, but it sounds like in your career, your best work is done solo. I have a lot of respect for people that I consider intelligent.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
I also think introverts are introverted. You have my support.