• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Introverts and Invisibility

Apollanaut

Senior Mugwump
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It occurred to me the other day that I like to maintain a certain level of "invisibility" in my daily life. For example, I like to stay at work for an extra hour after most people have left, I time my lunch break after everyone else has come back from theirs, I only go for breaks when the social room is likely to be quiet, I have two work areas (desk and lab) and will tend to use the one with the fewest people close by.

Keeping a low profile has it's advantages: I can quietly pick up a huge amount of inside information without others' being aware of me doing so. It also gives me a certain freedom to "slip between the gaps" of conventional policies and procedures into a place where novel ideas and approaches can be explored.

Sometimes I'll want to share one of my discoveries, so I'll "switch off" the invisibility for a while and present my ideas and findings to my colleagues. They are likely to say things like "Where did this come from?" or "I had no idea you were thinking about this!".

Sometimes the invisibility can be a curse, when you have something really important to share, but no-one seems to see or hear you at all! (Hello! I'm over here! Can anyone see me!).

From an Extraverts point of view, it must be quite frustrating: sometimes we're there and ready to participate, at other times we've vanished without a trace and left no forwarding address.

I'd like to hear of fellow introverts' experiences of this invisibility power (in positive and negative ways).

I'd also like to know if "Introvert Invisibility" is as frustrating to Extraverts as I suspect.

:peepwall:

Simplexity

MBTI Type
INTP
Pshhh. Damn it, the invisibility cloak just doesn't work with me. I always try and get pulled out by people. I swear if I wasn't straight I would be a misogynist. Seriously, though, unless you're uber geeky and off putting/ grotesque trying to be "invisible" only goes so far.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
:yes: You are so right, Apollanaut.

I was just thinking about this today, as well. Specifically, how I's may frustrate E's (and even other I's) because they appear "invisible" like you said. Naturally, being "invisible" is comforting for I's but they also suffer consequences because of this so you have to take the good with the bad.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
Most of my life falls into a category invisible.

I think that this skill saved me from many problems and I think that this is one of my greatest strengths.

In highschool I was known as "the ghost".(actually I still am)

Yes, Es are quite frustrated with this "ability" if you ask me and the only solution is to be invisible enough so that they do not even suspect that you are around.

Apollanaut

Senior Mugwump
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Most of my life falls into a category invisible.

I think that this skill saved me from many problems and I think that this is one of my greatest strengths.

In highschool I was known as "the ghost".(actually I still am)

Yes, Es are quite frustrated with this "ability" if you ask me and the only solution is to be invisible enough so that they do not even suspect that you are around.

It's even possible to be "invisible" in plain sight! The surface part of you puts on a show to distract others, while the real you carries on with it's true agenda (or evil secret plan) unnoticed.

Simplexity

MBTI Type
INTP
See the thing is, I love to be outspoken about my ideas. When your intermittent with talking and being available it creates an endless cycle of E's wanting consistency and I's wanting control. My problem isn't necessarily getting my voice heard, but more so actually trying to be invisible. I'm in my head most of the time as it is anyways, it just annoys me when people want me to live outside it ALL the time.

Apollanaut

Senior Mugwump
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
See the thing is, I love to be outspoken about my ideas. When your intermittent with talking and being available it creates an endless cycle of E's wanting consistency and I's wanting control. My problem isn't necessarily getting my voice heard, but more so actually trying to be invisible. I'm in my head most of the time as it is anyways, it just annoys me when people want me to live outside it ALL the time.

Don't get me wrong: I also love to be outspoken about my ideas. At these times, I'll switch the invisibility fully off. If I really want to be heard, then I'll actually try to make myself "shine brightly" to attract attention. It took quite a lot of personal growth before I became comfortable with taking the spotlight in this way and yes, it can make it difficult to go back to being invisible afterward.

Dwigie

MBTI Type
INFP
It occurred to me the other day that I like to maintain a certain level of "invisibility" in my daily life. For example, I like to stay at work for an extra hour after most people have left, I time my lunch break after everyone else has come back from theirs, I only go for breaks when the social room is likely to be quiet, I have two work areas (desk and lab) and will tend to use the one with the fewest people close by.

Keeping a low profile has it's advantages: I can quietly pick up a huge amount of inside information without others' being aware of me doing so. It also gives me a certain freedom to "slip between the gaps" of conventional policies and procedures into a place where novel ideas and approaches can be explored.

Sometimes I'll want to share one of my discoveries, so I'll "switch off" the invisibility for a while and present my ideas and findings to my colleagues. They are likely to say things like "Where did this come from?" or "I had no idea you were thinking about this!".

Sometimes the invisibility can be a curse, when you have something really important to share, but no-one seems to see or hear you at all! (Hello! I'm over here! Can anyone see me!).

From an Extraverts point of view, it must be quite frustrating: sometimes we're there and ready to participate, at other times we've vanished without a trace and left no forwarding address.

I'd like to hear of fellow introverts' experiences of this invisibility power (in positive and negative ways).

I'd also like to know if "Introvert Invisibility" is as frustrating to Extraverts as I suspect.

:yes:, I feel that way too.
The best is when you speak up there's this eerie silence .One teacher thought I was mute.:laugh: It was kind of funny .My friend's friends think I don't speak English because I come from her old French school and don't talk much.
I also like to go and venture on my own, people have to "tie me to the group" or I tend to "float away":D.
We were doing this school race and they tried to find me in the park but it turned out I just went looking for "better" company.:ninja: and never came back of course. After that I just strolled around and they found me again:steam:
I love being invisible most of the time but it can be annoying when you go unnoticed :(.

Anja

MBTI Type
INFP
There are times when I wish to be more invisible than I am able. My introverted son blends into the wallpaper.

And, yes. Sometimes when I want to be seen and heard I seem to be invisible! Dang perverted thang.

Synarch

Once Was
MBTI Type
ENTP
We see you there being invisible, but since you're not causing problems or competing with us we leave you alone like a child playing by himself.

Also, aren't INFJ's considered rather avoidant? I seem to remember reading this.

Dwigie

MBTI Type
INFP
But aren't all introverts considered "rather" avoidant?

Apollanaut

Senior Mugwump
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
We see you there being invisible, but since you're not causing problems or competing with us we leave you alone like a child playing by himself.

Also, aren't INFJ's considered rather avoidant? I seem to remember reading this.

I'd rather not answer that :yes:

Simplexity

MBTI Type
INTP

See, that is an important distinction. I know all too well that despite my actions I still register on extraverts radar, which is fine by the way. I only wish I could actually not be on the radar as consistently as they register me. Most people on this board actually understand what an introvert is so that is not a big barrier/ issue, IRL it is.

Bella

MBTI Type
ISTJ

I can relate to this, especially what you said in the first paragraph.
I can go for days with hardly being noticed and hardly interacting with anyone. I don't get sad or upset about it, but it's odd that you have no witness to your life. I think that was said in a movie once, and I think it was used within the context of a romantic relationship - living closely with someone is having a witness to your life. Extroverts have that way more than we have. I might not feel sad about this but I do think it is sad.

I might be wrong, but I don't the the Exroverts are too perturbed. Why would you be bothered about someone being in the background if they're always in the background. An extrovert becoming quiet and withdrawn is more likely to get attention.

Synarch

Once Was
MBTI Type
ENTP
See, that is an important distinction. I know all too well that despite my actions I still register on extraverts radar, which is fine by the way. I only wish I could actually not be on the radar as consistently as they register me. Most people on this board actually understand what an introvert is so that is not a big barrier/ issue, IRL it is.

As even introverts comprise the external social and physical reality, we must sweep you with our lidless Sauron-like radar. For true invisibility, office doors work well, though. Any doors really.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I can relate to this, especially what you said in the first paragraph.
I can go for days with hardly being noticed and hardly interacting with anyone. I don't get sad or upset about it, but it's odd that you have no witness to your life. I think that was said in a movie once, and I think it was used within the context of a romantic relationship - living closely with someone is having a witness to your life. Extroverts have that way more than we have. I might not feel sad about this but I do think it is sad.

I might be wrong, but I don't the the Exroverts are too perturbed. Why would you be bothered about someone being in the background if they're always in the background. An extrovert becoming quiet and withdrawn is more likely to get attention.

The only extroverts who are perturbed are the ones who actually like and desire to interact with introverts, but many extroverts could care less because they are busy with other extroverts.

millerm277

MBTI Type
ISTP

You described it perfectly. I've noticed the "power" as well.

Teachers never call on me in class, even though I'm obviously not paying attention, I've even been sitting in the front of the room doing work for another class while the teacher was trying to teach, and they don't notice, while with anyone else, they'll get yelled at instantly.

I never fall under suspicion of doing anything, it isn't even thought of by anyone. I walk in late to class, and no one notices. I've bought $3 in merchandise at the store, and am wearing a baggy sweatshirt with odd shapes showing in the pocket, and I don't even get a second glance from the security guy at the door. I'm setting off a huge quantity of fireworks in my front yard, the police officer just keeps driving by, and the same guy the next day gives my neighbor a ticket for a some tiny firecrackers.

No one ever thinks I'm listening or care about whatever it is they're discussing, because I'm quiet and generally keep to myself. I'm ALWAYS listening, and as you've said, I find out a ton of useful information from doing so.

I also kind of like how surprised people are when I do have stuff to say and the like. (Note: With friends or people I know well, this is different obviously).

Apollanaut

Senior Mugwump
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
You described it perfectly. I've noticed the "power" as well.

Teachers never call on me in class, even though I'm obviously not paying attention, I've even been sitting in the front of the room doing work for another class while the teacher was trying to teach, and they don't notice, while with anyone else, they'll get yelled at instantly.

I never fall under suspicion of doing anything, it isn't even thought of by anyone. I walk in late to class, and no one notices. I've bought $3 in merchandise at the store, and am wearing a baggy sweatshirt with odd shapes showing in the pocket, and I don't even get a second glance from the security guy at the door. I'm setting off a huge quantity of fireworks in my front yard, the police officer just keeps driving by, and the same guy the next day gives my neighbor a ticket for a some tiny firecrackers.

No one ever thinks I'm listening or care about whatever it is they're discussing, because I'm quiet and generally keep to myself. I'm ALWAYS listening, and as you've said, I find out a ton of useful information from doing so.

I also kind of like how surprised people are when I do have stuff to say and the like. (Note: With friends or people I know well, this is different obviously).

This is exactly the sort of invisibility I was thinking of!

I've been known to use the "Jedi Mind Control" trick when I want to be ignored ("These are not the droids you are looking for") with some success.

Dwigie

MBTI Type
INFP
The only extroverts who are perturbed are the ones who actually like and desire to interact with introverts, but many extroverts could care less because they are busy with other extroverts.

Good point, good point.:yes:

Rebel Nun

MBTI Type
ISTP
My invisibility is more something I turn on or off in my mind. Sometimes when I'm in a group I will just be quiet and observe. Then I am usually invisible. :) Or if I'm very focused on a task I am invisible. But when I don't want to be invisible anymore then I talk to someone or pay more attention to those around me. :) So, its more how I see myself than how others see me.