User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Thread: Learned Fe

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Just to let you all know: being nice to people and/or relating to them in social situations does not have to come from Fe. Fi can do the trick through an extroverted function.

Fi doesn't only care about the user. It cares about the things that are important to the user.

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Anything can do the trick; it depends on your audience.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None

Dissonance/ Jack make great points.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by dissonance View Post
    Just to let you all know: being nice to people and/or relating to them in social situations does not have to come from Fe. Fi can do the trick through an extroverted function.

Fi doesn't only care about the user. It cares about the things that are important to the user.
    I'm horrible at Fi.
    Am I supposed to have any of that?

Oh good. It's my tertiary.
    It should be kicking in pretty soon.

MBTI
    ENTP

Depends what's meant by 'developing Fe'... if you mean developing the ability to be more aware of other's feelings and to behave in a more considerate manner, I don't see how it isn't obvious why this would be worth learning to do, however difficult it might be...

If you're talking about ACTUALLY caring about other people, I don't think that's something people do learn on purpose, but I can say that my attachment level in that sense to the cares of other people has become greatly augmented both from what it used to be and what's 'normal' for my type. But I didn't deliberately set out to 'learn' that... it's just come naturally as a side effect of other areas in which I've more deliberately developed. As I made more of an effort to cultivate the more shallow aspect of Fe, I found that I got to know people in a way I hadn't before, which led to developing a greater understanding of them... that in turn led to a greater sense that actually, I'd greatly underestimated 'people' in general all my life, and much of the reason I had previously been so detached was because I considered most people not worth attaching to. As I understood more people more deeply, having this opportunity 'bought' for me by deliberately showing better manners and consideration, thereby making people trust me more and more willing to open up to me, I realized that part of the basis for my previous detachment was actually false, and that in fact many people who I would previously have considered not worth attaching to, are actually very much worth it.

That in turn has led to a greater appreciation of humanity in general... and on and on...

edit - I'm not quite sure how this connects with the 'expressing/showing your own emotions' side of Fe... I guess I have started to show them more, but I'm still a bit of a cow with a gun about it all, don't really understand them myself... possibly due to Fe developing way ahead of Fi?
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

"When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

I use to have very, very little regard for other people. Various experiences resulted in me developing that a bit, the most important of which was probably coming out of my relational shell and making friends with the ENFP I know.

Now I have an emotional attachment to some people, and I also have a more pragmatic understanding of why maintaining order even among people I'd don't particularly care about is beneficial.

I still have a big problem with recognition, though. I'm quite bad at knowing what people think of what I've done, or what they will think of what I am going to do. I try to use descriptive factors to determine how people have responed or will respond, but try as I may, I'm apparently terrible at it. It's a major contributer to why I don't have many acquaintences.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by substitute View Post
    Depends what's meant by 'developing Fe'... if you mean developing the ability to be more aware of other's feelings and to behave in a more considerate manner, I don't see how it isn't obvious why this would be worth learning to do, however difficult it might be...

If you're talking about ACTUALLY caring about other people, I don't think that's something people do learn on purpose, but I can say that my attachment level in that sense to the cares of other people has become greatly augmented both from what it used to be and what's 'normal' for my type. But I didn't deliberately set out to 'learn' that... it's just come naturally as a side effect of other areas in which I've more deliberately developed. As I made more of an effort to cultivate the more shallow aspect of Fe, I found that I got to know people in a way I hadn't before, which led to developing a greater understanding of them... that in turn led to a greater sense that actually, I'd greatly underestimated 'people' in general all my life, and much of the reason I had previously been so detached was because I considered most people not worth attaching to. As I understood more people more deeply, having this opportunity 'bought' for me by deliberately showing better manners and consideration, thereby making people trust me more and more willing to open up to me, I realized that part of the basis for my previous detachment was actually false, and that in fact many people who I would previously have considered not worth attaching to, are actually very much worth it.

That in turn has led to a greater appreciation of humanity in general... and on and on...

edit - I'm not quite sure how this connects with the 'expressing/showing your own emotions' side of Fe... I guess I have started to show them more, but I'm still a bit of a cow with a gun about it all, don't really understand them myself... possibly due to Fe developing way ahead of Fi?
    I can very much identify with this. And I find that I relearn the lesson of opening up to people and finding them worthwhile, over and over. It just doesn't stick. I do tend to default to my more natural mode of being a loner, and only finding a handful of people interesting. It's always baffled me. I do hope that one day, I'll get used to the idea enough that it becomes a part of me.

MBTI
    ENTP

yeah... well it can have other less desirable effects on me... Ne occasionally being led by Fe tends to mean I sometimes pretty much become a slave to other people's feelings, concerns and considerations. I become so absorbed in considering others' points of view that I pay no attention to my own feelings or views, become oblivious to them as internal judgement disappears and judgement AND perception are both externalized. It can be quite messy...

Yet as soon as I leave the company of others, things start to regain perspective again...

I'm working on trying to get Ti and Fe working together, rather than Fe overriding Ti as it sometimes does, much to my confusion and bewilderment... as I say, without much in the way of Fi this tends to mean I'm temporarily imprisoned, immobilized by others' feelings, unable to place them in perspective of either my own knowledge or feelings.

It's kinda like "I can't do that because it'll upset X, so maybe I should do this... but that might upset Y... but X and Z said to me also that they need that other thing... and... and..." impossible to make a decision, and my own needs are just nowhere in the picture.
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

"When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by substitute View Post
    yeah... well it can have other less desirable effects on me... Ne occasionally being led by Fe tends to mean I sometimes pretty much become a slave to other people's feelings, concerns and considerations. I become so absorbed in considering others' points of view that I pay no attention to my own feelings or views, become oblivious to them as internal judgement disappears and judgement AND perception are both externalized. It can be quite messy...
    Oh, yes! I do the same. And Ti is no help, because all I'm doing is taking in and organizing data. And chameleoning. And then I feel strange because I feel comfortable in the role of observer until I realize I should probably have an opinion.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w1

Hmm... I think, in regards to what typically defines the Fe function, I have obtained/ become conscious of those attributes. Eye contact, nodding your head, speaking up, standing up straight, voice inflection...

Well, actually, those are just key traits that help move you along and open up more connections, as well as convey an atmosphere or poise/ confidence. I'd say all that compromise/ listening/ an attempt to care are just social skills necessary for interaction.