User Tag List

12 Last

Thread: Defending MBTi?

MBTI
    ENTP

Lightbulb Defending MBTi?

Occasionally, when I bring up MBTi or even the concept of personality types, people will express a certain degree of skepticism along the lines of comparing it to astrology or cold-reading.

Question: How do you defend the validity of MBTi or the concept of personality types? Or, your interest in it as a subject?
    "Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave."

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

I'll admit, I felt a bit lost and weary when hearing about it the first time.

Generally, once you start explaining, they'll either lose interest or gain it. I don't think there's much for inbetweeny on that aspect. I don't have much trouble defending it in my group, but I do have trouble talking about it with people who are unwilling to even learn what I have to say. That sort of stubborn-ness against a new subject frustrates me greatly.. and unfortunately, I Don't have a way of swaying them otherwise.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    INFP

I find the cognitive processes to be of merit as far as categorising various functions for acquiring and organising data goes, but the "personality type" bit (MBTT) takes things too far. People use it to confirm their own biases. I do not identify one bit with the INFP profile, nor do I identify with my INFP comrades on this forum.

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Someone can always take the argument one step closer to provable fact, nullifying whatever your case was previously (in their eyes). So it's a bit of a washout to debate it.

MBTI
    infp

I don't defend it, because I do not seriously believe in any of it in any real way. I would never introduce it to someone...

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

I see no need to defend MBTI.

I see MBTI as an information source and what I will make out of the things gathered is yet to be known. The few things I have taken to be acceptable about it, like the explanations of functions and how people use them, I have assimilated into my understanding of the world and it works, it helps.

To pinpoint people down to find out what types they are, really does not intrest me, because it wont help me. And besides, if you recognize their function usage, you wont need it.

If you want someone to be intrested in something you are, make him crave the information. If he does not fall for that, let him stay in the shadows for all his life
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by entropie View Post
    If you want someone to be intrested in something you are, make him crave the information. If he does not fall for that, let him stay in the shadows for all his life
    Quite.

MBTI
    ENFP

Quote Originally Posted by Synarch View Post
    Question: How do you defend the validity of MBTi or the concept of personality types? Or, your interest in it as a subject?
    I'm not sure that personality types are valid, so I describe MBTI as a system of "types" in which each individual type uses intelligences that we all possess in a certain order. That sounds a lot less threatening than if you were to use the word "personality." A lot of people don't want to be read, or do not understand that one can be simultaneously "boxed in" and "unique."

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

I've made my friends take the test, and some seem to have a smidgen of interest in it. And I'll bring it up sometimes if it's relevant to the discussion.

But to be honest, most of my friends aren't that intellectually curious, so I don't expect them to be as interested in psychology, politics, history, sociology..... as I am, which is one of the reasons I come here.

MBTI
    INFP

A little bit of all of the above.

The information is not necessarily at fault. It's what people do with it.

Just as there are different styles of the various individual personality disorders, there also falls a range of styles within each type from my perspective.

It would be a pretty narrow mind that would assume that it is written in stone.

I find it a useful method of imparting a great deal of information in a small space. Then it is up to the discernment of the observer to determine how much is applicable.
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer