• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

How to determine if i am a P or a J?

lkpo14

ive tried a lot of mbti test, but the results varied..
thank ahead.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
I'm just curious what you prefer in regards to P and J...

Judging:
*Plan many of the details in advance before moving into action.
*Focus on task-related action; complete meaningful segments before moving on.
*Work best and avoid stress when keep ahead of deadlines.
*Naturally use targets, dates and standard routines to manage life.
Perceiving:
*Comfortable moving into action without a plan; plan on-the-go.
*Like to multitask, have variety, mix work and play.
*Naturally tolerant of time pressure; work best close to the deadlines.
*Instinctively avoid commitments which interfere with flexibility, freedom and variety

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
Do you set schedules and plan or are you more open ended and spontaneous? If your results vary, then you're probably just pretty balanced.

lkpo14

tnx

thanks but there is something i dont understand, i was just searching the forums and found the post about House MD Type, and most people say is a J, but if what you write it true, i see more P traits in him. so whos wrong?

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
House is a fictional character, his personality in the show does only work, because it plays well together within the environment its put in and the other characters it reacts too. Most of the time fictional characters aint good to compare for type, although they can set nice ideals :).

If you want to find out about p or J, you really should look into function analysis. The 4-letter type code is only a description for function distribution, many people confuse that.

If you are for example ENTP, you would have:

Extraverted Intuition
Introverted Thinking
---
Extraverted Feeling
Introverted Sensing

The first 2 indicate your primary functions, while the last 2 indicate auxiliary functions. How you use them in life, should become from secure on the top, so the first function, to insecure on the bottom, the forth function.

N and S, so Intuition and Sensing are perceiving functions, while T and F are rational functions. So while T and F are the CPU of your computer that processes the information, N and S are different mechanisms to gather information, through concious or unconcious means.

So, if your 1st function is a perceiving functions, your are in terms of MBTI a p and if it is a rational function you are a J.

To associate that J's are more to be the leader type or whatever associations there are, is not good. But to have a rational function as your primary one brings certain advantages with it when it comes to being sure about a decision. While a perceiving function for example, can't stop taking in new information or looking for new, before it makes a decision. - (on the other hand it can mean that J's are to quickly or strictly to make a decision)

And from that point on, you can draw all kinds of new connections :)

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Well, when it comes to the MBTI community, it depends on whether you'd be prefer to be thought of as a dull tightwad who would run off a cliff if their GPS told them to, or a lazy good-for-nothing who wouldn't have enough of a sense of agency to consider themselves responsible for not paying the electric bill on time.

Either is unacceptable. Really, it's your choice.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
Well, when it comes to the MBTI community, it depends on whether you'd be prefer to be thought of as a dull tightwad who would run off a cliff if their GPS told them to, or a lazy good-for-nothing who wouldn't have enough of a sense of agency to consider themselves responsible for not paying the electric bill on time.

Either is unacceptable. Really, it's your choice.

Yeah really...

But us P's are still better.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
ive tried a lot of mbti test, but the results varied..
thank ahead.
J and P are referred to as "Preferences". It's what we are comfortable with most of the time, what comes most naturally.

I am a J. I like to have things decided ahead of time. I don't like waiting til the last minute. As a matter of fact, last minute changes can make me uncomfortable. If I am going on a trip, I will spend hours planning ahead of time, finding the best travel route, places we might want to stop to eat, and making reservations at hotels. I enjoy making decisions. I would never feel comfortable just hopping in the car and going without any planning ahead.

I'm married to a P though, and perhaps I can show you the differences best by the way he and I contrast each other.

Ps like to keep their options open as long as possible. They resist closure. My husband's favorite sayings are, "Stay flexible and have fun," and "We'll cross that bridge when we come to it." I hate those sayings! They can make me feel stressed or uncomfortable or irritated. They believe that closing off options quickly might prevent the "best" solution from coming about. P is constantly weighing opportunities and advantages. They don't want to exclude anything from possibly being used in whatever application they're looking at.

Both J and P have pros and cons. One is not better than the other.

Do you relate more to my husband or more to me?
Or who do you relate to the least?

B

beyondaurora

My husband's favorite sayings are, "Stay flexible and have fun," and "We'll cross that bridge when we come to it." I hate those sayings!

LOL! My ex-husband used to say to me , "you've already crossed the bridge, crashed the car and burned!" :D

(And I'm supposedly a P.) :blink:

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
LOL! My ex-husband used to say to me , "you've already crossed the bridge, crashed the car and burned!" :D

(And I'm supposedly a P.) :blink:
tee-hee :smile:

He must have meant it in a different context.
I mean it in the context of decision making.
When I ask my husband what we are going to do about a certain problem, what I want him to say is, "Let's do this, this and this." Instead, he usually says something like, "We'll cross that bridge when we come to it." I hate that answer! I don't want to wait. I want to decide now.

B

beyondaurora

tee-hee :smile:

He must have meant it in a different context.
I mean it in the context of decision making.
When I ask my husband what we are going to do about a certain problem, what I want him to say is, "Let's do this, this and this." Instead, he usually says something like, "We'll cross that bridge when we come to it." I hate that answer! I don't want to wait. I want to decide now.

Usually he'd say that in response to my incessant "what if" questions (ex., "What if I'm too sick to work - what will we do?") or "when" statements (ex., "When we have a baby, I want...". I focus a lot on making decisions for the future. (Hmmm....as I'm typing this out, I'm realizing these are N characteristics, are they not?)

mlittrell

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1
Judging means you long for closure in decisions. Perceiving means you long for open endness in decisions.

J -> makes decisions in pen
P -> makes decisions in pencil

Thats a quick and dirty description.

lkpo14

well

well, thanks everybody.
i reviewed the answers, and im a P kind of guy, but i do got some J traits(i like to plan certain things, i kinda like closure, i dont have a lot of problem making a decision, but overall i like possiblities,i am spontaneous ,play now-work later, work best close to "last minute".

so im an xNTP :)
tnx all.

mlittrell

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1
i was literally going to type exactly what Jack Flak said...bastard...

jk

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Usually he'd say that in response to my incessant "what if" questions (ex., "What if I'm too sick to work - what will we do?") or "when" statements (ex., "When we have a baby, I want...". I focus a lot on making decisions for the future. (Hmmm....as I'm typing this out, I'm realizing these are N characteristics, are they not?)
Thinking about the future is stereotypically an N thing. I started a thread once in which I asked the S types if they daydreamed - which is supposed to be an N characteristic - and I think all of them said that they did. I was pretty surprised.

When several of us in your other thread determined that you must be ISFP it was based on many factors, not just on what you said, but also on what you didn't say. Those of us who have been studying type for a long time are familiar with it by reason of use. Not only that, but understanding the profile of the ISFP, we realized that is the one you fit into the best. I myself was introduced to type at least 18 years ago and have been actively testing my friends and relatives all these years.

As the books say, all people use all the preferences, but when you are trying to determine your type, you are trying to determine which preference you use the most naturally, which is most automatic, which is the one you prefer, which is most comfortable.

Even though you might think some things that an N would think, your ability to take in detailed information and store it away for later use, automatically without thinking about it, makes you first and foremostly an S. Perhaps your S is not that strongly pronounced. A person can be 100% S and 0% N, or 51% S and 49% N, or any variation in between.