• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Type that often thinks about "meaning of life" ?

niki

MBTI Type
INFP
..which one do you think? (the Type that often ask these kind of questions)
is it NF ? which 'NF' ?
does ENFJ, for example, often think about those 'big questions' in daily life (ie: why am i here? why am i born? for what purpose do i exist? what is the purpose of human being's existence? etc)
does NT also often ask these 'mystery' questions?

for example, me, as an INFP, i often ask these kind of questions, whenever I'm even amidst the crowds of people/human beings, or when i'm staring at the cloud, or the view of the city (usually from height), or even when looking at certain things/items! (ie: blank computer screen!)..
i'm just wondering if i'm the weird one here,..or does anybody here can relate with me?

and most curiously, lastly, what about SJ type of people?
are SJs probably the type of people who DON'T (or perhaps a bit rarely) ask about these 'deeper' questions, as it's either unthinkable to them, or just..."wasting of time" to them?

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
>.o Being an ENFP.. I can say that sometimes, I set my time aside and ponder them. I usually come to no conclusion, and mayhap when I am about to discover a great mystery solved, a butterfly for bell distracts me and I'm back to normal.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
I think it's universal. Methodology and conclusions by way of un-tampered with philosophizing though, seem to differ.

niki

MBTI Type
INFP
remember though, that although i'm sure almost every Type (or regardless of the Type) would at least ONCE think about these "big questions" , but here, the question is the Type that often do think about it (not just rarely like, say, once every 3 months, or even once every year, etc). even when looking at the most mundane, or otherwise an ordinary thing/s , like crowds of people in pedestrian-walk, the view of city , etc.

ring the bell

I think about the meaning of life often. Probably daily. Sometimes it's just a passing thought as I'm analyzing my surroundings and how I fit into it. Sometimes, however, it will catch me and I will think about it for hours. I tend to look for the deeper meaning in everything I do. I have to remind myself sometimes that things truly can be just random.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
remember though, that although i'm sure almost every Type (or regardless of the Type) would at least ONCE think about these "big questions" , but here, the question is the Type that often do think about it (not just rarely like, say, once every 3 months, or even once every year, etc). even when looking at the most mundane, or otherwise an ordinary thing/s , like crowds of people in pedestrian-walk, the view of city , etc.
I haven't known everyone, but from who I have known: INFP maybe.

niki

MBTI Type
INFP
(sorry a bit off-topic, this is a question for Mods, or anybody who knows: is there any way to edit this thread to have some polls? or is it already too late?)

otherwise,
please continue the discussion :)

V

violaine

^INFJs. My entire existence can hinge on finding the deeper meaning if I'm not careful, I'm pretty sure other INFJs would agree.

gloomy-optimist

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w3
I think about it a lot. Sometimes I don't even notice I'm doing it. And other times it's not just the meaning of life, but how we all fit in and can make the best of it; I think a lot about how people in the world can live together and make it mean something.

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
I don't think about the meaning of life because I don't believe there is one, but I think of ways to give my life more personal meaning.

Dwigie

MBTI Type
INFP
I ask myself questions like this , one step at a time?
well I didn't give things like this too much thought before...until 8th grade.
People just "struck" me then I realized I was the one who had, I questioned every thing I did and "I" dissolved(i.e: I started to take a long distance from "myself" and felt kind of slip inside my head). I just "saw" things pass right by me...dunno where it came from but I carry that "eye" inside my head now. Basically, I became more reflective, energy lowered dramatically..."grew up?". I did ask myself a few question around 10 or so but I'd just leave obviously I didn't care much, I was 10.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Keirsey says the NFs are the type most likely to be concerned with the meaning of life.

animenagai

MBTI Type
NeFi
Enneagram
4w3
i'm sure some do than others. i remember a convo between antisocialone and cimarron. they were talking about the basic epistemological question of what truly exist ie. is there an external world or are we in the matrix. antisocialone being an INTJ felt that it's a key question because it underlies everything that we can know or do. cimmarron thought it was an interesting question, but an unpractical one and just left it at that. similarly, i'm sure we all ask the 'meaning of life' question, some just value it more than others.

i'm pretty sure that there's a N vs S divide on this one. it's a pretty abstract question afterall. i can guarantee you that ENFP's think about this question, heck i think about this a few times every week. as whether or not there's another letter that leads you to liking this question, i don't think so.

Mort Belfry

Rats off to ya!
MBTI Type
INTP
I've often thought about big questions like that, mostly in my teenage years, but not that one specifically.

The reason is because the question itself seems riddled with arrogance, like life couldn't have existed if there wasn't an inherent meaning for it. It just seemed silly to me to think of life as having an overriding arc of purpose.

What could it possibly be? So that one day an alien race searching for the lost treasure of Elbatnia, comes to earth, melts us down to form a giant key to open the magical gates of Melgwarth?

As asking these questions seems to be an introverts pursuit, I would say the types most likely think about these questions would be dominant Fi and Ni. Because Ti has no patience for such a question and Si couldn't care less.

P.S. If anyone is interested in the meaning of life I have the answer.

animenagai

MBTI Type
NeFi
Enneagram
4w3
I've often thought about big questions like that, mostly in my teenage years, but not that one specifically.

The reason is because the question itself seems riddled with arrogance, like life couldn't have existed if there wasn't an inherent meaning for it. It just seemed silly to me to think of life as having an overriding arc of purpose.

i have thought about that too, and believe it or not, i still found myself a 'purpose'. to be happy. if i'm not here to get to heaven, or save mankind or whatever than all we need to be worried about is having a good time (in a non-shallow or short-sighted sense).flipping the question on its head can still get you an answer ;).

tenINsFJ

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
1w9
^INFJs. My entire existence can hinge on finding the deeper meaning if I'm not careful, I'm pretty sure other INFJs would agree.

agreed. I ponder about that day in day out

gloomy-optimist

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w3
^I'm actually inclined to agree as well, at least slightly. I rarely find people IRL who like to talk about weighty stuff like that, but it always seems like I could talk about it forever...

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
and most curiously, lastly, what about SJ type of people?
are SJs probably the type of people who DON'T (or perhaps a bit rarely) ask about these 'deeper' questions, as it's either unthinkable to them, or just..."wasting of time" to them?

For the first part, yes. SJs are probably the least theoretical out of all the types. (Not that we don't respect people who theorize... we just don't enjoy doing it ourselves.) I don't really think about the meaning of life. It's not that it seems like a waste of time, per se, but it's one of the most arguable, and loaded, questions that was ever invented. I suppose I'd rather be thinking about something concrete, where the answer is in black and white. I like answers.

I have thought about that question, though. In this society, it comes up so much that one feels obligated to at least consider it. And I have, maybe three times in the past three years... I've come up with my own personal answer (42! Just kidding), and then I've left it at that. I try not to think about it too much, or else I start to worry that maybe I'm wrong, and then I think "Out of all the things I could be worrying about, why this?", and I put it aside to reconsider later.

locke

MBTI Type
INFJ
I used to think about the meaning of life. Now, I'm just more interested in trying to accomplish what I want to accomplish. I saw cycles, within cycles, within cycles... things moving apart and coming together... speeding up... slowing down... everything repeats, yet nothing is ever the same... and no, I can't explain what this has to do with life. It scared me and kept me awake for a couple of days though. Staring into eternity. Sounds like a bad description of an acid trip. It's also why I'm afraid to try any drugs. I still occasionally think about the meaning of life, but I don't take that path very far. When trying to remember it, it's like looking at it from a distance, very abstract and vague. Trying to follow that path again, though, becomes very intimidating. It's not someplace I really want to go again, so I don't think about it much anymore.