User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INFP

I ask myself questions like this , one step at a time?
    well I didn't give things like this too much thought before...until 8th grade.
    People just "struck" me then I realized I was the one who had, I questioned every thing I did and "I" dissolved(i.e: I started to take a long distance from "myself" and felt kind of slip inside my head). I just "saw" things pass right by me...dunno where it came from but I carry that "eye" inside my head now. Basically, I became more reflective, energy lowered dramatically..."grew up?". I did ask myself a few question around 10 or so but I'd just leave obviously I didn't care much, I was 10.
    Sometimes I feel like I'm "on Mercury"-

MBTI
    INTJ

Keirsey says the NFs are the type most likely to be concerned with the meaning of life.

MBTI
    NeFi
    Enneagram
    4w3

i'm sure some do than others. i remember a convo between antisocialone and cimarron. they were talking about the basic epistemological question of what truly exist ie. is there an external world or are we in the matrix. antisocialone being an INTJ felt that it's a key question because it underlies everything that we can know or do. cimmarron thought it was an interesting question, but an unpractical one and just left it at that. similarly, i'm sure we all ask the 'meaning of life' question, some just value it more than others.

i'm pretty sure that there's a N vs S divide on this one. it's a pretty abstract question afterall. i can guarantee you that ENFP's think about this question, heck i think about this a few times every week. as whether or not there's another letter that leads you to liking this question, i don't think so.

MBTI
    INTP

I've often thought about big questions like that, mostly in my teenage years, but not that one specifically.

The reason is because the question itself seems riddled with arrogance, like life couldn't have existed if there wasn't an inherent meaning for it. It just seemed silly to me to think of life as having an overriding arc of purpose.

What could it possibly be? So that one day an alien race searching for the lost treasure of Elbatnia, comes to earth, melts us down to form a giant key to open the magical gates of Melgwarth?

As asking these questions seems to be an introverts pursuit, I would say the types most likely think about these questions would be dominant Fi and Ni. Because Ti has no patience for such a question and Si couldn't care less.

P.S. If anyone is interested in the meaning of life I have the answer.
    Why do we always come here?

I guess we'll never know.

It's like a kind of torture,
    To have to watch this show.

MBTI
    NeFi
    Enneagram
    4w3

Quote Originally Posted by Mort Belfry View Post
    I've often thought about big questions like that, mostly in my teenage years, but not that one specifically.

The reason is because the question itself seems riddled with arrogance, like life couldn't have existed if there wasn't an inherent meaning for it. It just seemed silly to me to think of life as having an overriding arc of purpose.
    i have thought about that too, and believe it or not, i still found myself a 'purpose'. to be happy. if i'm not here to get to heaven, or save mankind or whatever than all we need to be worried about is having a good time (in a non-shallow or short-sighted sense).flipping the question on its head can still get you an answer .

MBTI
    INTP

Why?
    "I'm being schooled in the class of V Profane. And it's a sad lesson." - PinkPiranha

Banned
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

Quote Originally Posted by sanveane View Post
    ^INFJs. My entire existence can hinge on finding the deeper meaning if I'm not careful, I'm pretty sure other INFJs would agree.
    agreed. I ponder about that day in day out

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3
    Socionics
    INFp

^I'm actually inclined to agree as well, at least slightly. I rarely find people IRL who like to talk about weighty stuff like that, but it always seems like I could talk about it forever...

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by niki View Post
    and most curiously, lastly, what about SJ type of people?
    are SJs probably the type of people who DON'T (or perhaps a bit rarely) ask about these 'deeper' questions, as it's either unthinkable to them, or just..."wasting of time" to them?
    For the first part, yes. SJs are probably the least theoretical out of all the types. (Not that we don't respect people who theorize... we just don't enjoy doing it ourselves.) I don't really think about the meaning of life. It's not that it seems like a waste of time, per se, but it's one of the most arguable, and loaded, questions that was ever invented. I suppose I'd rather be thinking about something concrete, where the answer is in black and white. I like answers.

I have thought about that question, though. In this society, it comes up so much that one feels obligated to at least consider it. And I have, maybe three times in the past three years... I've come up with my own personal answer (42! Just kidding), and then I've left it at that. I try not to think about it too much, or else I start to worry that maybe I'm wrong, and then I think "Out of all the things I could be worrying about, why this?", and I put it aside to reconsider later.
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

MBTI
    INFJ

I used to think about the meaning of life. Now, I'm just more interested in trying to accomplish what I want to accomplish. I saw cycles, within cycles, within cycles... things moving apart and coming together... speeding up... slowing down... everything repeats, yet nothing is ever the same... and no, I can't explain what this has to do with life. It scared me and kept me awake for a couple of days though. Staring into eternity. Sounds like a bad description of an acid trip. It's also why I'm afraid to try any drugs. I still occasionally think about the meaning of life, but I don't take that path very far. When trying to remember it, it's like looking at it from a distance, very abstract and vague. Trying to follow that path again, though, becomes very intimidating. It's not someplace I really want to go again, so I don't think about it much anymore.
    I want something much more different
    Not these factories or prisons
    I wish that the Earth was green again
    I wish I had a gun in my hand

--Blackbird Raum