User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by ptgatsby View Post
    It's a trained bias, nothing more.
    Wrong. In fact, I can say if it were a trained bias, I would be the first in line to rebel against it if it didn't make sense. I don't even like functions. How many other people here do you see railing against functions?

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    Wrong. In fact, I can say if it were a trained bias, I would be the first in line to rebel against it if it didn't make sense. I don't even like functions. How many other people here do you see railing against functions?
    Sorry, that's all it is. You are a victim of confirmation bias.

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Sorry, that's all it is. You are a victim of confirmation bias.
    You've shown your inability to observe patterns before, so I assume you don't see what I see, or most Ns here see. It is an S trait, to not see the forest through the trees. Is this "confirmation bias?" That through inductive reasoning, every additional sample only reinforces the theory?

MBTI
    ISTP

You've shown your inability to observe patterns before, so I assume you don't see what I see, or most Ns here see. It is an S trait, to not see the forest through the trees. Is this "confirmation bias?" That through inductive reasoning, every additional sample only reinforces the theory?
    Awww, you so cute when you get personal. Sorry if I hit a nerve. Funny that you project so many traits onto me due to my type, though.

The thread isn't about me, or the S/N divide. It is about the NT/NF:SJ/SP groupings. They are simply trained and reinforced: there is no backing to why they are chosen.

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Awww, you so cute when you get personal. Sorry if I hit a nerve. Funny that you project so many traits onto me due to my type, though.
    No, no, you misunderstood, as I should've expected, and made myself painfully clear. I'm no good at that, because even for all I know about people, I still give them more credit than they deserve.

I noticed the trait in YOU first, regardless of type. Then I realized it's an S trait, so it reinforces type theory.

MBTI
    ISTP

No, no, you misunderstood, as I should've expected, and made myself painfully clear. I'm no good at that, because even for all I know about people, I still give them more credit than they deserve.

I noticed the trait in YOU first, regardless of type. Then I realized it's an S trait, so it reinforces type theory.
    I'm sure you believe that.

Banned
    MBTI
    type

I'm certain of it, but as you may know I believe, certainty is always fallible, in everyone.

MBTI
    ISTP

I'm certain of it, but as you may know I believe, certainty is always fallible, in everyone.
    Certainly make certainty useful.

So, where were we. Right. The reason for the divisions is because we are taught them. They have no meaning in MBTI theory, or MBTI practise. Research doesn't support them, theory doesn't support them... it's simply a taught method, supported by biases inherent in classification.

Away from MBTI, it would be strength that determines the more deterministic/predictive outcome, but that's up to the individual to decide if it should apply to MBTI.

Naturally research would simply correlate each trait individually, groupings of traits would offer no real meaning anyway.

Banned
    MBTI
    type

So, where were we. Right. The reason for the divisions is because we are taught them. They have no meaning in MBTI theory, or MBTI practise. Research doesn't support them, theory doesn't support them... it's simply a taught method, supported by biases inherent in classification.

Away from MBTI, it would be strength that determines the more deterministic/predictive outcome, but that's up to the individual to decide if it should apply to MBTI.

Naturally research would simply correlate each trait individually, groupings of traits would offer no real meaning anyway.
    Are you condoning following certain rules because they are rules, and ignoring other rules because they are rules? That's not a question, really. That's what you're doing.

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by Bella View Post
    ...and not ST and SF?
    Just to agree with most of the first page and ensure the OP was answered despite me being distracted, ST and SF has as much meaning as NF and NT, just as NP and NJ have as much meaning as SP and SJ.

They are just not in conventional use. It doesn't matter much, though, since it is just a classification, like any other (including full type).

If you are looking for the actual chain of events, you can take a look at Personality Test - Keirsey Temperament Website It's an offshoot of MBTI, but because it isn't as restricted as MBTI information, it had spread farther and become more popular.

Are you condoning following certain rules because they are rules, and ignoring other rules because they are rules? That's not a question, really. That's what you're doing.
    Since you didn't ask, I won't answer.