First 123 Last

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by substitute View Post
    Well, reason I say "I think I agree" is because this is all very well until I read my journals from way back, and I see a person that I just cannot relate to, who I can't believe was me and wouldn't if I didn't recognise the handwriting!!
    It's a rather creepy feeling: Every moment of time throughout the long years of our lives, we murder who we were in order to become who we are.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    It's a rather creepy feeling: Every moment of time throughout the long years of our lives, we murder who we were in order to become who we are.
    Nah I don't find it creepy - relieving, yes! I'm very relieved that I'm not still that person - they deserved to be "murdered", though I'd phrase it as "put out of their misery and thereby doing a service to humanity"!!
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

"When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by substitute View Post
    Nah I don't find it creepy - relieving, yes! I'm very relieved that I'm not still that person - they deserved to be "murdered", though I'd phrase it as "put out of their misery and thereby doing a service to humanity"!!
    "Every moment of time throughout the long years of our lives, we murder euthanise who we were in order to become who we are."

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Finding MBTI was my first step in realizing that there was nothing wrong with me because I was quiet, inward, not touchy-feely, and still (mostly) happy. Three of my four siblings are EXTREME extroverts, and my younger brother and I often feel that we're not as much fun as they are. Oh, well.

To my parents' credit they never made me feel inferior for being introverted, but since when do people listen to their parents?
    Not touchy feely- and not shy.
    There was an ENTP around who wrote that he is shy.
    And touchy feely- look at those Italians.

MBTI
    INTJ

When I was younger I tried to pretend to be extroverted because most of the people I was friends with were. I went to parties constantly and never really had a moments peace. I wanted to think I enjoyed it but eventually it got to be too much and I snapped and stopped hanging out with anybody, now I am just starting to want to go out in public again, but not very often. Denying your true nature because you are different than everybody around you is something to be avoided in my experience.
    Question everything especially yourself.

Opivy1980

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Yeah, I posted this b/c I'm quite certain he's still an INTJ.

(He posts about how much he enjoys time spent alone in his office, etc.) and I thought it'd be a great topic of discussion.

I took that 8 functions test last week; I came up as ENTP. I think this is because I've been consciously and laboriously working hard to improve my weak areas. I like the timing of doing this -- I'm 20 years old; I want to have a full tool kit of life skills.
    I know I'm an INTJ; of that I am certain after heavy reading of all the types. (the amount of time I spend alone should dictate the introvertedness regardless...)

But I was actually quite surprised that my Ni was statistically overtaken by other cognitive functions. It's just a test, so I don't hold too much weight on it, but it still surprised me.
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿ digesthisickness's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Usehername View Post
    Here he claims how he was originally an INTJ and "turned into" an extravert. What is your take?
    my take is that he either still is an INTJ or he always was an ENTJ.

Personally, I think he (as a young INTJ) placed an incredibly high value on people; relationships, interaction, etc. and decided it was a skill to master. So because it's such a major value to him, he's "mastered" it and now thinks he's an extravert.
    i absolute agree. the INTJs i know do the exact same thing once they've decided that something is in their better interest, then they 'master' it to the highest degree they can reach.

Quote Originally Posted by Natrushka View Post
    Gee, he makes it sound like introversion is a Bad Thing. Isn't the difference between introversion and extroversion where you draw your energy from?
    maybe to him, it is. and yes, you're right about the difference between the two, but he may be looking at it as something that would benefit him and can be at least faked well enough in order to reach some goal.

He sounds to me like an INTJ who decided he wanted to be good at extroversion. Like when I decided to learn about photography, or snorkelling, or hormones.
    sounds that way to me too. the ones i know take their interests seriously. for instance, it's for that reason that when they decide sex is something worthwhile to be mastered that they can work miracles in the bedroom.

Quote Originally Posted by rivercrow View Post
    I also wonder if he was shy as well, though. I've met shy extroverts.
    the ones i know are, but would force themselves to do their best to overcome it (at least on the surface) if they had good personal reasons. as far as shy extroverts, i was extremely shy for a few years as a child, so i agree with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Opivy1980 View Post
    When I was younger I tried to pretend to be extroverted because most of the people I was friends with were. I went to parties constantly and never really had a moments peace. I wanted to think I enjoyed it but eventually it got to be too much and I snapped and stopped hanging out with anybody, now I am just starting to want to go out in public again, but not very often.
    yes, some of the INTJs i know decided the same thing, then became disillusioned. the reasons were different (unless i was fibbed to), but it seemed to have the theme that people turned out not to be who they seemed. not 'real friends'.

Quote Originally Posted by Opivy1980
    Denying your true nature because you are different than everybody around you is something to be avoided in my experience.
    yes. it's draining. however, venturing out and risking brings growth. we learn more about ourselves, in my experience, when we try. learning our boundaries creates a more self-aware sense of self which of course brings a comfortableness in one's own skin.

i admire the INTJs i know personally immensely. i truly think the majority of them get a bad rap.

MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by Usehername View Post
    I took that 8 functions test last week; I came up as ENTP. I think this is because I've been consciously and laboriously working hard to improve my weak areas. I like the timing of doing this -- I'm 20 years old; I want to have a full tool kit of life skills.
    I know I'm an INTJ; of that I am certain after heavy reading of all the types. (the amount of time I spend alone should dictate the introvertedness regardless...)

But I was actually quite surprised that my Ni was statistically overtaken by other cognitive functions. It's just a test, so I don't hold too much weight on it, but it still surprised me.
    The catch with doing this is that if you focus on building skills related to less-preferred functions, you are not growing the skills of your preferred functions. Just as "one object cannot be in two places at the same time." ("unless it's a bird or quantum," yes, I know....)

For example. For years I focused on building extraverted thinking and sensing skills because I had to for my chosen occupation. I am literally NOT the same person I was when I was in my 20s, before I made this conscious decision.

A few years ago, I had a series of life crises that kicked me into a reassessment of my self, my skills, and my life. I realized that the stress of relying on less-preferred functions had contributed to me living in the grip of my inferior process. Consciously choosing to return to my natural strengths has been freeing--but I've come to see how my preferred function skills have atrophied.

Forgive me for preaching at you, but I'd hate for you to blindly go though the same painful process I did. Build your less preferred strengths, sure, but be careful you don't fix that mask to your face too firmly.
    Who rises in the morning, looks in the mirror and says, "I think I will do something stupid today?" -- James Hollis
    If people never did silly things nothing intelligent would ever get done. -- Ludwig Wittgenstein
    Whaling is illegal in Oklahoma.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by rivercrow View Post
    Forgive me for preaching at you, but I'd hate for you to blindly go though the same painful process I did. Build your less preferred strengths, sure, but be careful you don't fix that mask to your face too firmly.
    it is a good lesson to remember. You'll see it in Leadership philosophy as well: You should focus on your strengths first, because that's where you'll shine and make the most headway, and worry about merely shoring up your weaknesses (and getting others with strengths in those areas to cover you where necessary).

Anyway, I neglected Ti for far too long in many ways and focused on the Ne (and Fe), and now I'm very good at seeing possibilities and finding myself unable to motivate myself to do anything about them. And my thinking is less rigorous, since I got lazy and would just imagine possibilities without really building a good case for their validity.

MBTI
    TiSe

I would say that, per Berens' interaction styles "Behind the Scenes" types (INTP,ISFP,ISFJ,INFP) are true introverts, "Chart the Course" types (INTJ,ISTP,INFJ,ISTJ) are true ambiverts, "Get Things Going" types (ENTP,ENFP,ESFP,ESFJ) are true extraverts and "In Charge" types (ENTJ,ESTP,ESTJ,ENFJ) are true ambiverts. I constantly read descriptions for "Chart the Course" types being mistyped as extraverts.