• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

I vs E and emotion

animenagai

MBTI Type
NeFi
Enneagram
4w3
I and E shows us how much we like being with a lot of people, that goes without saying. however, i think there's more to that, or at least this like/dislike of being with a lot of people has secondary effects. look at the MBTI types, and the types with only I vs E differences could have big emotional differences.

the one that sticks out to me is INTJ vs ENTJ. ENTJ's often have anger issues. i'm not making this up, go read up on the literature. having traveled with one before, i can safely say that guy ranks up there amongst one of the angriest people i know. he'll calm it down after his explosion, but o what an explosion. the INTJ on the other hand seems to rarely get angry. heck there's a thread about INTJ's and anger and most of them say they've never been angry at all.

INFP vs ENFP is one that i'm more familiar with and i can definitely see emotional differences. INFP's are attracted to sad things. they call tragedies and such 'beautiful'. ENFP's stay away from it like the plague. i can respect it, but i can't say i want to see something sad for the sake of it. we both dwell on the sadness being NF's, but somehow, the I likes it (as long as it's not something that's happened to themselves or whatever) whereas the other one can't stand it. why is that?

go ahead and list some of your own observations and theories. how does I vs E affect emotions?

heart

heart on fire
I wouldn't say I like sad things because they are sad, but rather because they are true. I cannot stand any kind of fakery or running from true feelings, so I'd rather be truly sad than fake happy. The beauty is in the truth of it, not the sadness. Hope that made some sense.

One thing that is hard for me is when other people are running from truth in their feelings or what they say, I want to pierce their fake projection and get into the reality of what is going on, but I have to stop and question myself as if I've really got the right to do that.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
I appreciate the truth in sadness as well.. just from a distance. Being very expressive about myself, I couldn't help but empathize and become saddened myself.. I'm not very good at standing on the sidelines with emotion. If I see something, I become involved in it.. and who wants to feel sad when it's not necessary? So I think you're onto something there.

I know sometimes people get all uppity about awkward silences.. I don't think silence is always awkward, and even if around my friends sometimes it's good for us all to just sit there with each other in silence.. but I know some people cannot STAND it. Something has to be noisy or talking constantly.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Someone told me ENTPs have emotions. I lol'd, those silly guys.

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
I don't know if I know any real-life ENTPs. I'd be interested to hear someone's take on the I/E difference with INTPs and ENTPs.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
I don't know if I know any real-life ENTPs. I'd be interested to hear someone's take on the I/E difference with INTPs and ENTPs.
Just emotionally?

ENTPs wear their heart 10x more on their sleeves than INTPs. You can generally decipher mood. If it's not obvious, they'll say something like "I love you/I hate you."

I don't think it's just the obviousness, either. Their emotions seem to be affected more instantaneously by stimuli.

gloomy-optimist

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Yeah, there are some difference between ENFJs and INFJs, but I don't think they're quite as big as maybe some differences are between other types. I'd just say that ENFJs are much more likely to be who they are without worry; I envy my ENFJ friends a little, because they are just so fun-loving and out there with people. But they always seem a little more sensitive than they let on, under the surface.
INFJs are more into reflection, I think, and we need more time to do so. We're also a lot less prone to trust people right out...or at least, that's the impression I get; I could be wrong.

Simplexity

MBTI Type
INTP
And ENTPs LOVE to play games with people. There the ones you always notice making little snide remarks all the time and their usually clever bastards, great at thinking quick on there feet and getting out of things. Like a drunk INTP on speed.

*thats why people think mr Flak is one

Neo Genesis

MBTI Type
InFp
Enneagram
4w5
INFP vs ENFP is one that i'm more familiar with and i can definitely see emotional differences. INFP's are attracted to sad things. they call tragedies and such 'beautiful'.

??? If you could, please give me some examples. I'm really at a loss for thoughts on this.

On the anger topic, I believe that Es are much more reactive to anger because of their nature, that being an "in the moment" reaction, whereas the Is will reflect on their feelings in solitude. This creates an illusion where Is are seen as being calmer than their extraverted counterparts, when in reality they are just better at containing their emotions until they escape from other people and vent.

animenagai

MBTI Type
NeFi
Enneagram
4w3
??? If you could, please give me some examples. I'm really at a loss for thoughts on this.

On the anger topic, I believe that Es are much more reactive to anger because of their nature, that being an "in the moment" reaction, whereas the Is will reflect on their feelings in solitude. This creates an illusion where Is are seen as being calmer than their extraverted counterparts, when in reality they are just better at containing their emotions until they escape from other people and vent.

take the example of music. if an INFP and an ENFP both listens to a sad song, the INFP is more prone to liking it. same for say a tragedy (play). it's in the literature, though you may be an exception.

mlittrell

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1
I and E shows us how much we like being with a lot of people, that goes without saying. however, i think there's more to that, or at least this like/dislike of being with a lot of people has secondary effects. look at the MBTI types, and the types with only I vs E differences could have big emotional differences.

the one that sticks out to me is INTJ vs ENTJ. ENTJ's often have anger issues. i'm not making this up, go read up on the literature. having traveled with one before, i can safely say that guy ranks up there amongst one of the angriest people i know. he'll calm it down after his explosion, but o what an explosion. the INTJ on the other hand seems to rarely get angry. heck there's a thread about INTJ's and anger and most of them say they've never been angry at all.

INFP vs ENFP is one that i'm more familiar with and i can definitely see emotional differences. INFP's are attracted to sad things. they call tragedies and such 'beautiful'. ENFP's stay away from it like the plague. i can respect it, but i can't say i want to see something sad for the sake of it. we both dwell on the sadness being NF's, but somehow, the I likes it (as long as it's not something that's happened to themselves or whatever) whereas the other one can't stand it. why is that?

go ahead and list some of your own observations and theories. how does I vs E affect emotions?

as far as ENTJs/INTJs go, i dont think it tends to be an emotional anger as much as a im-fed-up-with-all-the-retards-around-me kind of anger. i have noticed that ENTJs dont have as much control over their anger (in general) as INTJs do (maybe due to a shift in the functions?) also, have you ever met an angery ISTJ, its frightening. so i dont think I or E really has too much to do with emotions generally but as far as indivual types, well ya it does.

take the INFP/ENFP comparison. with an INFP, Fi is their dominant function. now whenever i see Fi in any type (as a dominant function especially) it tends to show itself in an almost negative light. its almost dark. but that is just how it shows itself. is it really dark, of course not. that is why with the ENFP you don't see that "darkness" because it filters through the light of extroverted intuition (thats a vague explaination).

EDIT:
I also notice that introverts might not show it as much because (a direct quote from a close friend) "it takes too much out of me (them), if it is something i (they) can handle then what is the point"

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
GOD FUCKING DAMMIT ENTJS DONT HAVE ANGER PROBLEMS OKAY? FUCK THIS SHIT!! DIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Neo Genesis

MBTI Type
InFp
Enneagram
4w5
take the example of music. if an INFP and an ENFP both listens to a sad song, the INFP is more prone to liking it. same for say a tragedy (play). it's in the literature, though you may be an exception.

You know, I hadn't really noticed this until I thought about. Its not that I do it by choice, but, for the most part, my daydreams become much more vivid, which sort of sparks a mini-debate in my head about different topics, such as right vs. evil.

"?"

MBTI Type
TiSe
As usual a basic principle is being overlooked since type does not measure emotions in any of the cognitive functions. Whether someone is more prone to show or talk about their emotions may be an indication of whether they're E/I. As the saying goes, if you don't know what an extravert is thinking you haven't been listening. If you don't know what an introvert is thinking you have not asked. Key word thinking, not feeling (emotion). All dominant T types, regardelss of attitude, react in the same way as you describe the ENTJ (at least in theory).

gloomy-optimist

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w3
The difference between my ENTJ sister and my INTJ friends is that my sister likes studying with people. And she's more forceful when talking about politics. The INTJs I know just give you that look like "I'm not going to argue with you cuz I know I'm right, so I'm just going to pretend like I'm listening." But they are very similar in the fact that I don't like talking politics with either of them :B

digesthisickness

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿
MBTI Type
ENTP

introversion and extroversion mean completely different things when in the context of MBTI theory. it's not the same, nor nearly as simple, as the dictionary definitions of the two. no letter stands alone in MBTI. it's the four letters combined that define the E and I.

when it comes to ENTPs, it's not the desire to be around people that matters, it's the desire to be in, understand, and explore the world, that matters. people are a default interest as they just happen to make up a large part of it, and come with a handy dandy 'mystery' by their very nature of being human.

maybe this site will help.

Myers-Briggs eight functions carl jung, jungian cognitive functions, mental functions

if not, any search that involves type, functions, and mbti will help. maybe you'll find a better one as that site was a quick pick.

Just emotionally?

ENTPs wear their heart 10x more on their sleeves than INTPs. You can generally decipher mood. If it's not obvious, they'll say something like "I love you/I hate you."

I don't think it's just the obviousness, either. Their emotions seem to be affected more instantaneously by stimuli.

not directing this to just you, but to the comment itself, therefore, everyone:

if ENTPs couldn't hide their emotions/thoughts, then i (and most others, no doubt) would have been banned from many a forum long ago. we're just as capable of doing so. it's whether or not, after analyzing the situation (many times, even while analyzing it), we choose to do so that's the bigger difference.

being an ENTP, for me, compared to the INTPs i know, has shown me one major difference when it comes to showing (not feeling, but showing, as we ALL feel) emotions, and that's that IRL, i'm much more apt to come to the conclusion faster that the risk of saying what i'm thinking is worth (or balances out just fine) the consequences of speaking up.

i'm much more apt to choose to act on what i'm thinking/feeling also, after being faster to conclude the consequence is worth the risk.

it's not that we both aren't capable of thinking before we speak or act, it's that i'm more quick to both analyze the situation at hand and the consequences and follow through (or not) and more apt to find the risk of doing so worth it.

see, it's not that i don't think, it's that being more clued in to my surroundings, thus faster to analyze the situation -Ne- (people not being necessarily a favorite, just a default part of it), i'm sensitive to when i should keep my mouth shut and how they'll take what i'm thinking of saying/doing (not to mention whether it's worth it to even bother).

remember, a large part of keeping/making friends requires not only speaking up, but knowing when to not say what you're really thinking.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
I can understand that. I didn't think ENTPs were more emotionally volatile because they're stupid.

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
Someone told me ENTPs have emotions. I lol'd, those silly guys.

:steam:

-------------

I hate it when the tests ask if you like going to parties or being around lots of people. Extraversion isn't about that, dammit! It's about being externally oriented towards the object; it's about needing to externalize your shit in order to sort through and deal with it. You can do that with just one person, you don't need a party. And there are a lot of E's who don't like parties - and I know an ISTP who never misses one. I'd say a fairer question would be "how often do you feel a need or desire to talk to someone face to face?" or "what percentage of your time would you ideally spend in company with others?" Cos the way they're usually phrased makes a lot of E's think they're I's and possibly vice versa. And it makes a lot of I's assume that just because I'm an E, I'm automatically totally at ease with all people, any people, in any numbers, anywhere. Gah!!

ANYWAY, i think it's pretty obvious that, given what I just said above, about E's needing to externalize, we're gonna seem more emotional than I's, since whatever they do feel they keep to themselves, whilst we externalize it - that of it which we acknowledge or entertain, that is.

An INTJ can tell me he never gets angry if he wants, but I won't believe him. I know they seethe and steam like all mortals - they just do it internally. Not losing your temper outwardly does not mean you're never angry.

You know, I spent most of my life really introverted (artificially), and pretty timid and scared. I never showed my anger, partly through fear that the response would be something I couldn't handle, and partly because I was so isolated and desperate for human company that I felt I couldn't jeopardize it by scaring off the people I did see by showing negative emotions. And because I NEVER lost my temper or shouted or yelled or even expressed disapproval of people outwardly, and didn't admit to myself that I did inwardly, I used to say confidently of myself "I am not an angry person".

Until a couple of years ago, when some sessions with a therapist revealed that I am, in fact, a FUCKING angry person. Hell yes. Choleric is my temperament, and anger is the founding emotion for much of what I do, think and choose, and this is the way I am and have always been. This does not necessarily mean that I always seem angry or feel it. It just means that, generally, it's anger about injustices, prejudices, hypocrisy, failures, inconsistencies, that sorta thing, that pretty much informs what I choose to do myself.

And though I repress it and try to keep it from my decision making processes in order to be as objective as I can, I am now aware that there has always been a note of anger, an undercurrent, you might say, in my personality, that in fact does manifest itself by impatience quite often, but more often, irritability, irascibilty that's masked by humour... I get what I want because I have a passion behind what I say and do that's driven by this deep-seated anger. But I'm not stupid enough to think that throwing my weight around and yelling at people will get me what I want. So, like I say, I repress it and convert it through self-discipline into something that comes out on the surface as something much more constructive and persuasive.

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
Oh and Jack, don't forget that ENTP's are very high on the self-monitoring scale... we've been known to fake/exaggerate/dissemble etc emotions according to what's most expedient at the time... for example, if someone I know shows me some work they've done and I think it's good, but I know they'll think I'm "just saying that" so's not to hurt their feelings, I figure I've got to not only show more of my emotional response than I otherwise would, but also exaggerate it somewhat to a level that they'll find difficult to dismiss.

digesthisickness

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿
MBTI Type
ENTP
:steam:

-------------

I hate it when the tests ask if you like going to parties or being around lots of people. Extraversion isn't about that, dammit! It's about being externally oriented towards the object; it's about needing to externalize your shit in order to sort through and deal with it. You can do that with just one person, you don't need a party. And there are a lot of E's who don't like parties - and I know an ISTP who never misses one. I'd say a fairer question would be "how often do you feel a need or desire to talk to someone face to face?" or "what percentage of your time would you ideally spend in company with others?" Cos the way they're usually phrased makes a lot of E's think they're I's and possibly vice versa. And it makes a lot of I's assume that just because I'm an E, I'm automatically totally at ease with all people, any people, in any numbers, anywhere. Gah!!

ANYWAY, i think it's pretty obvious that, given what I just said above, about E's needing to externalize, we're gonna seem more emotional than I's, since whatever they do feel they keep to themselves, whilst we externalize it - that of it which we acknowledge or entertain, that is.

An INTJ can tell me he never gets angry if he wants, but I won't believe him. I know they seethe and steam like all mortals - they just do it internally. Not losing your temper outwardly does not mean you're never angry.

You know, I spent most of my life really introverted (artificially), and pretty timid and scared. I never showed my anger, partly through fear that the response would be something I couldn't handle, and partly because I was so isolated and desperate for human company that I felt I couldn't jeopardize it by scaring off the people I did see by showing negative emotions. And because I NEVER lost my temper or shouted or yelled or even expressed disapproval of people outwardly, and didn't admit to myself that I did inwardly, I used to say confidently of myself "I am not an angry person".

Until a couple of years ago, when some sessions with a therapist revealed that I am, in fact, a FUCKING angry person. Hell yes. Choleric is my temperament, and anger is the founding emotion for much of what I do, think and choose, and this is the way I am and have always been. This does not necessarily mean that I always seem angry or feel it. It just means that, generally, it's anger about injustices, prejudices, hypocrisy, failures, inconsistencies, that sorta thing, that pretty much informs what I choose to do myself.

And though I repress it and try to keep it from my decision making processes in order to be as objective as I can, I am now aware that there has always been a note of anger, an undercurrent, you might say, in my personality, that in fact does manifest itself by impatience quite often, but more often, irritability, irascibilty that's masked by humour... I get what I want because I have a passion behind what I say and do that's driven by this deep-seated anger. But I'm not stupid enough to think that throwing my weight around and yelling at people will get me what I want. So, like I say, I repress it and convert it through self-discipline into something that comes out on the surface as something much more constructive and persuasive.

um. okaaaaaay then....

i think mbti screwed up by using terms that were already established and widely used. they need to change that to extro-/intro- something else.