User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    NeFi
    Enneagram
    4w3

Default I vs E and emotion

I and E shows us how much we like being with a lot of people, that goes without saying. however, i think there's more to that, or at least this like/dislike of being with a lot of people has secondary effects. look at the MBTI types, and the types with only I vs E differences could have big emotional differences.

the one that sticks out to me is INTJ vs ENTJ. ENTJ's often have anger issues. i'm not making this up, go read up on the literature. having traveled with one before, i can safely say that guy ranks up there amongst one of the angriest people i know. he'll calm it down after his explosion, but o what an explosion. the INTJ on the other hand seems to rarely get angry. heck there's a thread about INTJ's and anger and most of them say they've never been angry at all.

INFP vs ENFP is one that i'm more familiar with and i can definitely see emotional differences. INFP's are attracted to sad things. they call tragedies and such 'beautiful'. ENFP's stay away from it like the plague. i can respect it, but i can't say i want to see something sad for the sake of it. we both dwell on the sadness being NF's, but somehow, the I likes it (as long as it's not something that's happened to themselves or whatever) whereas the other one can't stand it. why is that?

go ahead and list some of your own observations and theories. how does I vs E affect emotions?

heart on fire

I wouldn't say I like sad things because they are sad, but rather because they are true. I cannot stand any kind of fakery or running from true feelings, so I'd rather be truly sad than fake happy. The beauty is in the truth of it, not the sadness. Hope that made some sense.

One thing that is hard for me is when other people are running from truth in their feelings or what they say, I want to pierce their fake projection and get into the reality of what is going on, but I have to stop and question myself as if I've really got the right to do that.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

I appreciate the truth in sadness as well.. just from a distance. Being very expressive about myself, I couldn't help but empathize and become saddened myself.. I'm not very good at standing on the sidelines with emotion. If I see something, I become involved in it.. and who wants to feel sad when it's not necessary? So I think you're onto something there.

I know sometimes people get all uppity about awkward silences.. I don't think silence is always awkward, and even if around my friends sometimes it's good for us all to just sit there with each other in silence.. but I know some people cannot STAND it. Something has to be noisy or talking constantly.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Someone told me ENTPs have emotions. I lol'd, those silly guys.

MBTI
    INTP

I don't know if I know any real-life ENTPs. I'd be interested to hear someone's take on the I/E difference with INTPs and ENTPs.

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by Tallulah View Post
    I don't know if I know any real-life ENTPs. I'd be interested to hear someone's take on the I/E difference with INTPs and ENTPs.
    Just emotionally?

ENTPs wear their heart 10x more on their sleeves than INTPs. You can generally decipher mood. If it's not obvious, they'll say something like "I love you/I hate you."

I don't think it's just the obviousness, either. Their emotions seem to be affected more instantaneously by stimuli.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3
    Socionics
    INFp

Yeah, there are some difference between ENFJs and INFJs, but I don't think they're quite as big as maybe some differences are between other types. I'd just say that ENFJs are much more likely to be who they are without worry; I envy my ENFJ friends a little, because they are just so fun-loving and out there with people. But they always seem a little more sensitive than they let on, under the surface.
    INFJs are more into reflection, I think, and we need more time to do so. We're also a lot less prone to trust people right out...or at least, that's the impression I get; I could be wrong.

MBTI
    INTP

And ENTPs LOVE to play games with people. There the ones you always notice making little snide remarks all the time and their usually clever bastards, great at thinking quick on there feet and getting out of things. Like a drunk INTP on speed.

*thats why people think mr Flak is one
    My cold, snide, intellectual life is just a veneer, behind which lies the plywood of loneliness.

MBTI
    InFp
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    INFj

Quote Originally Posted by animenagai View Post
    INFP vs ENFP is one that i'm more familiar with and i can definitely see emotional differences. INFP's are attracted to sad things. they call tragedies and such 'beautiful'.
    ??? If you could, please give me some examples. I'm really at a loss for thoughts on this.

On the anger topic, I believe that Es are much more reactive to anger because of their nature, that being an "in the moment" reaction, whereas the Is will reflect on their feelings in solitude. This creates an illusion where Is are seen as being calmer than their extraverted counterparts, when in reality they are just better at containing their emotions until they escape from other people and vent.

MBTI
    NeFi
    Enneagram
    4w3

Quote Originally Posted by Neo Genesis View Post
    ??? If you could, please give me some examples. I'm really at a loss for thoughts on this.

On the anger topic, I believe that Es are much more reactive to anger because of their nature, that being an "in the moment" reaction, whereas the Is will reflect on their feelings in solitude. This creates an illusion where Is are seen as being calmer than their extraverted counterparts, when in reality they are just better at containing their emotions until they escape from other people and vent.
    take the example of music. if an INFP and an ENFP both listens to a sad song, the INFP is more prone to liking it. same for say a tragedy (play). it's in the literature, though you may be an exception.